ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Hey I always get a little uneasy ( & jealous that I wasn't along) when it gets dark & no Big Bike Bomb Run report. Hope all went well?
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Yes and no. All was going well until about a quarter into the ride, Eric's fuel pump decided to detach itself from its mount and just hang around by the wires and fuel tubing. He managed to band aid fix it and headed back to Zen Moto for a more permanent repair. Wild Bill and I continued and finished the ride with no further incidents. I'm a tuckered puppy though and have been putting off posting the pics due to lack of energy. For me, it was 190 mile ride but then I rode right from my house so about 60 of those miles don't really count.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Yes and no. All was going well until about a quarter into the ride, Eric's fuel pump decided to detach itself from its mount and just hang around by the wires and fuel tubing. He managed to band aid fix it and headed back to Zen Moto for a more permanent repair. Wild Bill and I continued and finished the ride with no further incidents. I'm a tuckered puppy though and have been putting off posting the pics due to lack of energy. For me, it was 190 mile ride but then I rode right from my house so about 60 of those miles don't really count.
In the saddle, they all count. The ones on the pavement are the worst.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

The loop... we started in Cave Creek, headed to Bloody Basin, west to Cordes Station, south to Black Canyon city, down I-17 to Table Mesa, across Table Mesa and back down 7 springs to Cave Creek.

We were supposed to meet at the 4C's in Cave Creek. Wild Bill staged out of Wildcat and Eric was running a tad late so I met me, myself and I and the three of us rode up to the Bartlett Lake turnoff to meet up with Wild Bill.

On the way there, I had a bunch of fours...

Obligatory start picture... one of these bikes is not like the other...

I was first to the 7 Springs / Bloody Basin turnoff... here comes Eric.

Eric is so tired, he immediately lays down for a quick nap

Not really, his fuel pump had decided to reject the way it was mounted and preferred to just hang around by the wires and hoses instead.

Here comes Wild Bill...

Hey Eric, why you laying on the ground?

DurtKlod screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:29 PM
DurtKlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Eric and Wild Bill managed to re mount it temporarily and Eric decides to call it a day and head for Zen Moto for a more permanent fix... there he goes.

We offered to go back with him but he wouldn't have it. I got a text from him a little layer saying he'd made it back to the slab and should be good from there.

After that, Wild Bill and I kept moving at a pretty good pace and I didn't take a whole lot more pictures. We took a little detour down towards Black Canyon Creek to see how much water was there. Not much so no picture.

But we did take the fun way back out to the road. I'm not sure this part was big bike friendly but Wild Bill made it look easy.

After that, we did a splash n go in BCC and then down I-17 to Table Mesa. Wild Bill set some world speed records passing a couple of cement trucks right before the exit.

Table Mesa road...

Beautiful country back in there...

Wild Bills turn for a nap...

Not really. His skid plate needed a few more zip ties.

My little KLR and I never had a chance for a nap though we tried real hard. Towards the end of Table Mesa, my mind started to wander and before you know it, I came into a corner too hot. When the bike wouldn't stop, I scoped out my escape route and over the edge I went. Luckily, I came to a stop rubber side down and shiny side up and after a short ascent back up to the road, I was again back on my way. Wild Bill missed it so you'll just have to take my word for it!

190 mile day and I'm a tuckered puppy.

DurtKlod screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:31 PM
DurtKlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Found a few interesting screen captures from the helmet cam...
KLR wheely...

Water crossing at 7 Springs....

Funny shadow...

Road just before it tops out of the basin...
Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Obligatory start picture... one of these bikes is not like the other...

I know, I know, I know, one of them doesn't have a rider
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,195
Damn! I haven't been checking the west forum or I would have joined you today.

How do you like the Tractionator so far? I found it a bit squirrely at first on pavement and hard pack. It sure hooks up in the sand. I still owe you for that compression shirt so let me know if we can settle up via paypal or get together soon. I can always give it to Spencer, he's a lot closer to you.

We're heading out Buckhorn Wash tomorrow if the Christmas spirit moves you to ride again. If not, Merry Christmas brother and I'll catch up wit you next year!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #24
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
Big -E sorry to hear about the fuel pump. Nice pictures Durtklod !
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

I'm a pictures guy!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Wild Bill Kelso
Fill her up! Ethel!

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
I'm a pictures guy!
Me... Not so much. Mr Klod that was fine documentation for the day.

Eric. Good test run. The silver lining? - one less gremlin for your big ride.

Awesome ride. Table Mesa Rd added some required spice (not much you can do when the hill goes up and you've committed - except continue). The nice part was that while the challenging sections were rocky and steep they were also good and hard packed so traction was plentiful.

I was beat too. To bed at 9 and rose at noon. I love weekends.
Wild Bill Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Wild Bill Kelso
Fill her up! Ethel!

BTW - Somewhere out there is a red Canon waistband lens bag with a 21 and 18 inch tube and sweet little hand pump. Whoever finds it enjoy.Iit was good to me - may it be the same to you.

Farewell spare tube bag.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #28
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

I remember seeing something red off to the side while you were ahead of me somewhere on the first half of Table Mesa. If I remember right, I had my hands full on a little climb of rocks, I remember seeing something red and then by the time I got caught back up to you, I had already forgotten to ask if you were missing anything. Sorry!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Wild Bill Kelso
Fill her up! Ethel!

Quote:
I remember seeing something red off to the side while you were ahead of me somewhere on the first half of Table Mesa. If I remember right, I had my hands full on a little climb of rocks, I remember seeing something red and then by the time I got caught back up to you, I had already forgotten to ask if you were missing anything. Sorry!
Ahhh don't be sorry. Every loss or mishap on the trail is a learning opportunity. I've been far too haphazard with with my approach to mounting spare gear. Bungies and tie down straps just don't cut it. Only a intentionally engineered gear-attachment option is going to do the trick in the long-run. That little bag saw 3K+ miles of trail time. Even fell off and was retrieved once or twice. It did its job now it's time for me to do mine - a permanent-mounted stowage option. Maybe the Trail Tech or Wolfman tail bag or some such.

The 950 has a great tail rack (from the previous owner) or I would just throw my Gaint Loop coyote on it (won't fit with the tail rack).

As usual with loss the philosopher Epictetus guides my reaction: "It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." 50-70 bucks of stuff lost... ehhh. I'm rested and ready for a hike today and yesterday was blast!

Off to rainy Seattle for week tomorrow (where I will invariably think about how nice it is in Arizona and ask myself 'why am I here?')

Woo hoo! See you fellow trail dorks in the new year. BTW where are we riding on the weekend of Jan 5-6?!