Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #931
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonnMan04 View Post
I'm new to this site and new when it comes time to picking out winter gear. I'm looking for a jacket that will keep me warm in temps that go down to mid / high 20's. I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. My morning commute is 30 min at most and I leave for work around 6am. I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I use during late spring to early fall, when temps start to hit mid 40's is when I need to put on layer and start to get ready for my bike to go to sleep. I already wear a long sleeve collar shirt (work requirement) and adding a thick sweater makes it very hard to zip my jacket up. I also use a neck flees since my collar is short cut. So I'm looking at Teknic, Rev'It and Olympia as my winter only gear. My most important need is to wear as little added clothing as possible over my shirt and my neck doesn't get called. I want to avoid wearing a neck warmer. Being waterproof is a plus.

To sum up: My #1 thing is being warm during my morning (30 min) commute, #2 staying dry, #3 - good protection. Anything above 50's doesn't concern me as I will be using my Joe Rocket gear.

From everyones experience, can I get what I need from these brands Teknic; Rev'It or Olympia? How high do collars go? Will they stop wind from entering or do I still need to wear my fleece neck warmer? Are there any other issues I should be aware before I buy?

I get hot easy and I can bare cool temp well, but have a limit.

My choices are:

Teknic - Freeway (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Horizon (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Energy (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Legecy (Hi-Viz)
Olympia - AST2 (Hi-Viz)
BMG - Discovery

Hi-Viz is for being viziable and safe but will consider other colors.

I will be heading over to RevZilla store in PA to exchange my Olympia X-Moto this Saturday.

Also any pance recomindation is appriciated as well. Keep in mind that this gear is WINTER USE ONLY!!!

Thank you for everyonce help.
Hey KonnMan04,

It sounds like you were able to get the gear you needed from your visit to our showroom before I had a chance to reply. If you ever need assistance right away, our knowledgeable staff of Gear Geeks are an easy phone call away.
Please keep us posted on how your REV'IT! gear works for you this winter. I made it through 6 winters of daily commuting while living in NYC with my REV'IT! gear. I'm guessing your selection is going to treat you well.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A
RevZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #932
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kolenda View Post
Anthony,

Going to purchase a Klim Badlands jacket. Any special pricing in the near future? What is you price guarantee? If price drops withing 30 days will you rebate?

Steve
Hi Steve,

We haven't heard of any Klim sales happening this season, but making sure you are subscribed to our weekly emails will certainly alert you of any notable sales. You can read the details of our Price Match Policy by visiting this link.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #933
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthydog View Post
I am going on a trip through the Patagonias to Tierra Del Fuego (50% dirt) and I need some waterproof gloves. We will have long periods at high speed on highway and lots of slower gravel roads. I expect temps in the 30's in the mornings. I am looking at the Bastion, Fusion and Alaska gloves. Can you rank them (in order) for:

Warmest?
Most comfortable?
Best feel for controls?
best for gauntlet in and out of jacket? (Cayenne)
best with grip warmers?
best protection?

Thanks for your input. You guys run a solid outfit
Thought I'd chime in. I tried on every winter glove in the Philly store a few months back (thanks Bobby) and bought the Alaska. I brought my heated glove liners in with me to ensure a good fit. This glove is supple and very warm - good from the mid 50s down to - well I don't know yet. With the liners in, there is no lower temp limit with the Alaska. The full gauntlet is not too bulky and cinches up enough to be worn inside the cuffs of my Defender jacket. Best gloves I have owned.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #934
worthydog
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 459
Thanks Ken, good input

Ali, any thoughts on temps the Fusion can handle?
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #935
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Thanks Ken, good input

Anthony's 2011 winter glove guide video was very helpful too. The Alaska has the same hard knuckles and poly palm sliders I liked about the "Dirt" glove which is what I wear in summer.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #936
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
What size would I need in cayenne pro or defender jackets? I'm 6,2 almost 6,3. 220 right now. Jacket size is normally 44 long. I have a sand xl jacket and it's too tight with all the liners now that I put the thick sas tec back protector. Factor in I would have a sas tec in the defender or cayenne.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #937
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Quote:
Thanks Ken, good input

Hi Worthydog,

Temperatures can be tricky to quantify, since everyone is different. This morning, I rode in with my REV'IT! Tempest gloves that have the same amount of insulation as the Fusion gloves with a temp reading at 30 degrees. I did have the heated grips on my GS on high, and for my 10 minute commute, I was okay. The Fusion gloves are probably fine for most folks down to about 40-45 degrees without any heating assistance. My hands tend to be quite cold, so I struggle with temps below 40, but for many, this is a tolerable temp range.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #938
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
What size would I need in cayenne pro or defender jackets? I'm 6,2 almost 6,3. 220 right now. Jacket size is normally 44 long. I have a sand xl jacket and it's too tight with all the liners now that I put the thick sas tec back protector. Factor in I would have a sas tec in the defender or cayenne.
Hi Parx400,

Given the sizing information you provided, you would likely take a 2XL for the Cayenne Pro or Defender jacket. The Cayenne Pro is cut a little closer than the Sand jacket and, like most REV'IT! jackets, tend to be cut slim through the shoulders. If you find the XL Sand to be too snug with the liners and back protector, you might want to size up. I would also recommend looking at a Forcefield or D3O back protector that are more temperature stable than the SaS-Tec.
Before you purchase your jacket, I highly recommend giving our Gear Geeks a call to go over all of your measurements to better determine what size might be best.
Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #939
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
I'm interested in the new Sand 2 jacket. I notice that the jacket shown in the Revzilla video does not have the hook at the neck to hold the collar open in hot weather, like the old Sand jacket does. Is that the way its going to be, or is that just a pre-production jacket shown in that video? Also, will the zippers on the arms be of the locking variety? The arm zippers on my early Sand jacket tend to unzip a bit by themselves. Lastly, do you know if the two main outside pockets will be made of waterproof materials like on the old Sand jacket?

Thank you.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #940
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,130
You guys going to the NY show with Rukka?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #941
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I'm interested in the new Sand 2 jacket. I notice that the jacket shown in the Revzilla video does not have the hook at the neck to hold the collar open in hot weather, like the old Sand jacket does. Is that the way its going to be, or is that just a pre-production jacket shown in that video? Also, will the zippers on the arms be of the locking variety? The arm zippers on my early Sand jacket tend to unzip a bit by themselves. Lastly, do you know if the two main outside pockets will be made of waterproof materials like on the old Sand jacket?

Thank you.
Hi Avocet,

We were also surprised REV'IT! decided to eliminate the collar catch back on many of their jackets this year. I reached out to our Sales Rep to ask if there was a particular reason, and he reminded me of a new feature on the Sand 2 jacket. On the outer shell, behind the main zipper is a gusset that is designed to block wind. The gusset has been equipped with a set of snaps along the back edge that will allow someone to snap the gusset back in order to get airflow through the zipper. This, in REV'IT!'s thought process, eliminates the need for a collar catch back. This feature is only found on the Sand 2. As far as the other jackets, i.e. Outback, Excalibur, Levante, I can only assume it is a cost savings decision.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #942
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
You guys going to the NY show with Rukka?
Hi Levain,

We will not be a vendor at the NY IMS show this year. If you will be in NYC for the show, our Philadelphia showroom is only 2 hours away and we have plenty of Rukka gear here in stock.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #943
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Thanks for the reply about the collar hook on the Sand 2 jacket. I saw that feature on your video about the snaps that hold the under-zipper storm flap back and thought that might be a great feature along with the collar hooked open. Without the collar hook I'm not sure its an improvement at all, especially since the neck area receives more wind than the chest area (where the new feature is) on a bike with a windshield. I think I would still want to unsnap my collar even with the new feature on a hot day. I was leaning towards getting a Sand 2 but now I think I may stay with my old Sand jacket. Tell Rev'it they are making a mistake by eliminating the collar hook. It was one of the nice features that set their jackets apart from their competition.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #944
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Thanks for the reply about the collar hook on the Sand 2 jacket. I saw that feature on your video about the snaps that hold the under-zipper storm flap back and thought that might be a great feature along with the collar hooked open. Without the collar hook I'm not sure its an improvement at all, especially since the neck area receives more wind than the chest area (where the new feature is) on a bike with a windshield. I think I would still want to unsnap my collar even with the new feature on a hot day. I was leaning towards getting a Sand 2 but now I think I may stay with my old Sand jacket. Tell Rev'it they are making a mistake by eliminating the collar hook. It was one of the nice features that set their jackets apart from their competition.
+100

Rev'It don't drop the collar hook on the Sand 2!!

I have a both a Sand and a Horizon jacket. I love the adjustable no velcro collar and the hook!

That's one big reason a lot of "great" jackets I look at get passed over!

It's the first thing to open when it gets warmer.

All the other improvements look good but the collar hook is a major oversight in my mind. The zipper flap staying open isn't the same thing to me.

Also Avocet they have added a snap tab at the cuff to back up the zipper on the sleeves to prevent the zipper from creeping

Dave
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #945
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Quote:
Hi Avocet,

I agree, for a premium offering like the Sand 2 jacket, I was sad to see it eliminated. I failed to mention in my previous post the increase of airflow on the new Sand 2. REV'IT! claims an increase of airflow by a staggering 200% over the original. This is achieved by increasing the length of the arm vents that now terminate at the bicep as opposed to the Sand jacket arm vents that ended below the elbow. The chest vents are slightly larger, but now include a snap back to hold the panel open and direct more air at the body. For us touring folks who sit behind a windscreen, the arm vents are the major plus here, but it will be interesting to see how folks respond once the weather gets warm. I have the original Sand jacket, but typically don't use it in hot weather.
All in, this is a nice upgrade over the original with the compatibility with the new products like the cooling vest, the HV vest, CE L2 back protection option and hook-ups for a neck brace. Come June 2013, we'll be curious to see what folks think about airflow and no collar catch back.
Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla