Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #61
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmarcia View Post
I have had a 06 wr450 and currently have an 04 wr250 and this spring bought a 04 KTM 450. I vote the ktm as the most fun of the 3 bikes as it is lighter than the wr450, better turning and nicer suspension than either wr. The yamahas have been incredibly bomber for reliability over the years. I think the KTM 450 works the best for me, but still need to get some more time on it before I rate the reliability. The older WRs are way cheap to own/buy compared to the ktms as the oem parts are cheaper and way easy to find used stuff on line. KTM parts and aftermarket accessory stuff are priced like they are made of gold compared to the WR parts. I have a friend that just bought an 01 husaberg and he had to pay $500 for an oem stator.
+1

I didn't have to work on the DRZ as much, but the fun factor on tough trails was 4-5 notches below the KTM.

Spending extra time & $$ in the garage is well worth the extra enjoyment on the trail. I find trail time to be priceless.

Taking off for a 3-day TST dual sport ride this morning on the KTM.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #62
Riccardo1989 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hi everyone!
I would like to know which final trasmission ratio do you use for dual sport use? nowdays i have the 14-50...
Riccardo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #63
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo1989 View Post
Hi everyone!
I would like to know which final trasmission ratio do you use for dual sport use? nowdays i have the 14-50...
That's a good gearing for dual sport use...potentially. It really depends on how and where you're riding. 14-50 is stock. I have done 15/50 and it felt only a little tall in 1st gear and great when the trails open up. You haven't told us what you think of 14/50 on your bike so it's hard to give you a recommendation.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
Take a look here at your possibilities (choose Yamaha WR450f '04, same as '05).
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #64
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
Been there, tried that. XR650L is too heavy and big for real trails, I dont care what anyone says. I can get it up some nasty stuff, but man is it tiring

That said, the XR400 makes a greattrail and DS bike if you dont mind kicking it

Yah,I have had many KTM's,yet I tried to set up a DRZe and make it work for me as a dualsport bike.
I rode it 3 years and wasted much money,no matter what is done they are heavy and have an odd sitting/standing position. Then theres the slow factor and the lack of top speed cruising issue.
After 1 ride in particular with real steep rocky descents I sold the DRZe,bought a barely used 530 EXCR and it works fine as is,fits me at 6' tall just fine,doesnt need to be re-engineered to go anywhere off road or on,cruises at 70 if need be.

Im pretty sure I spent more $ on that DRZE trying to make it work then any KTM would use in maintenance over 4 years.

If all you want is a casual putt putt bike a DRZ is ok,limited and archaic but ok. Same with a XR650L,weight is weight and japanese dual sports are all real heavy.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #65
Riccardo1989 OP
Adventurer

yeah you are right, now i use the WR in tight stuff, i like the final trasmission except when i put the wheels on tarmac or fast gravel; so i was simply wondering which ratio riders use for Baja or Dakar races!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #66
Riccardo1989 OP
Adventurer

have you got the feeling that the faster you go, the more stable and enjoyable it gets??