Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #136
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,731
Hmmm I guess some forget about Jean-Louis Schlesser, or more likely you never knew about him because you just following the Dakar because Rubby is racing it.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #137
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Hmmm I guess some forget about Jean-Louis Schlesser, or more likely you never knew about him because you just following the Dakar because Rubby is racing it.
Does since 1979 count? I was fortunate to live in Paris from 1982-1988 and follow the 24-7 daily coverage, which has kept me a Dakar junkie for MANY, MANY years.

I don't think Schlesser counts as an American trying to bring home the win as an American manufacturer. However you do bring about a good point... I believe Schlesser was the reason the ASO modified categories to protect the major manufacturers... if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #138
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
I believe it is a rear wheel drive 2WD .
Not fair... I caught it in my rear view first...
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #139
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Why didn't Gordon just install a rev limiter on Nasser's truck after the first belt failure?
The problem was that Nasser would downshift while the engine was already at a high rev, which forced it even higher. An ignition rev limiter won't help with that.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #140
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Let's just forget that they helped up greatly during our own revolution way back when and gave us that cool statue. Yeah, those cheese eating surrender monkeys don't do anything good in the world.

Should be a good race this year. Hopefully Robbie has learned enough to finish all the legs this year without tweaking the organizers too much. Who are the other big competitors? Do the Spanish have a big push going this year?
I wasn't making a judgement on them, I have some friends who are French and despite their shortcomings are great people You can't tell me that you haven't heard at least once how rude the French are to Americans, be it true or not.

Quote:
I was like ten when all that was going down

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #141
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Snip.......If he were to win the Dakar with his home built rear wheeler, he will devastate the entire Dakar Rally Sponsorship Program concept... Proving that major auto manufacturers don't know what they are doing by failing to dominate the world's most complex auto race. It's no wonder the ASO will do what ever it needs to, as witnessed last year, to keep it's top manufacturers and their employee drivers in the winner's circle, at all unethical costs.
HOME BUILT???? Are you smoking crack??? You can't be serious saying that Robby's shop is anything but a top notch professional race shop. The amount of research and development money put into Robby's Hummmmmbuggys by General Motors was HUGE. Dyno time dealing with restricted intakes and and as previously discussed, wind tunnel time alone puts him well above home built budgets.

Schlesser was much more of a home build than Robby ever was. JLS's first buggies were designed and built here in America and he re-badged them and later he simply copied previous designs.

BMW blew the whistle on Robby's illegal intake manifold, it was not the ASO that finally decided to go after him. And as much as Robby cried about how he had been using it without complaint in previous years, having a port of any kind between the restrictor and the engine has always been illegal. Robby knew that BMW would wait until he was considered to be a real threat before they protested, he simply thought he would be able to beat the protest.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #142
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I wasn't making a judgement on them, I have some friends who are French and despite their shortcomings are great people You can't tell me that you haven't heard at least once how rude the French are to Americans, be it true or not.
Dude, that goes both ways. Its a big world out there. You are not the center of it.

On with the racing.
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #143
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
The problem was that Nasser would downshift while the engine was already at a high rev, which forced it even higher. An ignition rev limiter won't help with that.

Didn't Nasser also bend the rear frame in the early stages, throwing off the alignment of the belt that kept burning up/falling off?

Nasser is one helluva a fast driver, but needs a factory team support to fix all his stuff, it seems.
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #144
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Quote:
HOME BUILT???? Are you smoking crack??? You can't be serious saying that Robby's shop is anything but a top notch professional race shop. The amount of research and development money put into Robby's Hummmmmbuggys by General Motors was HUGE. Dyno time dealing with restricted intakes and and as previously discussed, wind tunnel time alone puts him well above home built budgets.

Schlesser was much more of a home build than Robby ever was. JLS's first buggies were designed and built here in America and he re-badged them and later he simply copied previous designs.

BMW blew the whistle on Robby's illegal intake manifold, it was not the ASO that finally decided to go after him. And as much as Robby cried about how he had been using it without complaint in previous years, having a port of any kind between the restrictor and the engine has always been illegal. Robby knew that BMW would wait until he was considered to be a real threat before they protested, he simply thought he would be able to beat the protest.
It was ASO who failed to DQ Peterhansel for running into a bike in the creek last year, clearly an offense. ASO also gave Despres time back for the mud gate obstacle, giving the Frenchman an advantage over the Spaniard.

In my book, if you are making your own vehicles... it's home built, no matter how big your home is or tools owned. Otherwise, it's just pissing in the wind in your own pissing contest.

kaia screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 10:24 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #145
Tork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, he bent the car. Bent frames don't throw belts, doesn't work that way.

"You're going to be on foot if you keep trashing the car."

Caption Contest .

"You throw one more belt , I will let you loose in Alabama wearing only a
rainbow Speedo , do you understand ?"
Tork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #146
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer
In my book, if you are making your own vehicles... it's home built, no matter how big your home is or tools owned. Otherwise, it's just pissing in the wind in your own pissing contest.
Then you can call all Minis and BMWs Sven Quandt's home built cars. X-Raid is NOT a factory team like Mitsubishi or VW were.

michalCCR screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 11:51 AM
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #147
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
That's just Strong Bad! Some of us have been following Dakar since it's origin.
If you're going to bring up Schlesser then we really can start talking about cheating, although I did love his effort. Just as we do RG's effort.

Don't be a RG hater Bro...just harshes my mellow!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #148
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Didn't Nasser also bend the rear frame in the early stages, throwing off the alignment of the belt that kept burning up/falling off?

Nasser is one helluva a fast driver, but needs a factory team support to fix all his stuff, it seems.
Robby's dad "Baja Bob" drove it the rest of the rally spectating with out any problems. Seems as the Speed team didn't have a trailer to put it on and it had to be driven all the way to the finish.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #149
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Dude, that goes both ways. Its a big world out there. You are not the center of it.

On with the racing.
Sorry man, I guess my humor is just too dry; I'm just joking around I guess the self deprecation about the USA being a colony didn't fully convey that.

Quote:
Robby's dad "Baja Bob" drove it the rest of the rally spectating with out any problems. Seems as the Speed team didn't have a trailer to put it on and it had to be driven all the way to the finish.
Nice piece of trivia, thanks!

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #150
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, he bent the car. Bent frames don't throw belts, doesn't work that way.

"You're going to be on foot if you keep trashing the car."

"Listen Nasser, you FF, you told me you could drive!!!!"
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote