Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #1021
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Just before sunrise this morning down on the beach in front of Matilda's surf camp;

The soothing sound of the surf is all you hear walking down the beach as the waves catch the early morning light. Very peaceful out here far from the madding crowd:

as the sun slowly rises over the eastern horizon:

casting 40 foot shadows from the human camera tripod:

the best viewing spot is on the broken surfboard bench facing east:

wishing you all a merry christmas:

from Matilda's:

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 12:58 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #1022
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Ate breakfast at a shack on the beach with a view of French tourists:

And surf:

Everything's closed tomorrow so I headed into town to get some gas and groceries. Pali's is the place to buy groceries in San Juan del Sur:

and the Gato Negro is the place to find good books for reading and decent coffee:

The beach and bay with bobbing sailboats in San Juan del Sur:

Wandered around town. Filled up with gas and stopped at the Cajero Automatico (ATM) for some more Cordobas. San Juan del Sur is a funkadelic touristy place with a mellow vibe. The buses don't go north so this is where the backpacker crowd ends up. Sort of a Puerto Angel Oaxacan vibe to the place. Hasn't been Costa Rica-fied with high rise condos yet. The beaches north are more bettah. This will all be developed just like Jaco and Huatulco and other similar places. You can almost hear the bulldozers and paving machines. People will look at these pictures in 50 years and be amazed what it used to be like. Come down now while it's still nice. That's my advice.

more later….
Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #1023
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
Merry Christmas! I am enjoying this immensely and appreciate your skillful eye for bringing great photos and commentary to the ride report. It's better than any travel book I've every purchased so I put a little stocking stuffer in your paypal account.
Cheers!
Hey Santa JackJack,

Thanks so much for the donation. I appreciate it. Glad to have you along for the ride. JackJack goes on the gas tank.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #1024
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
John:

In case I get too busy tomorrow, best wishes for a very Merry Christmas

and have a special dinner on me. Yes, for once, splurge a little and have a good meal. You deserve it for keeping us entertained. You are my daily routine and I look forward to more Reports from SA

bob
Hi bESS,

Thanks so much! I'll take a picture of the bESS special dinner I buy later tonight.

Muchas Gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #1025
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
glad you found the place John, say Feliz Navidad to Marta for me in the little two table shack outside Matildas, they are sisters if you haven't found that out yet (hopefully she remembers me, if not tell her the english guy with all the tattoos)

...and to you, have a great christmas, i guess you are walking two bays south to the Monkey Poop Ranch (yes people that is its real name, John and search places like this out) to use the internet so probably won't hear from you in a week or two as i know that place is real difficult to leave and quite honestly why would you want to!!!

BTW have a reread thru my report on the penas blancas frontera as it had changed quite a lot since i was there last year, and is now a lot easier, i did both sides in about 1 hour...
Hola Pablo,

Marta remembers the crazy tatooed Brit. I had breakfast there this morning. And no I didn't know she was Matildas hermana.

Good to hear Peñas Blancas has streamlined. I'm still heading over on the other side of Lago Nicaragua to do research and development on the Los Chiles border in case others want to avoid the PanAm and enter Costa Rica through the back door.

Thanks for the tips. Keep up the good work on your ride report. I am enjoying it immensely.

Cheers,
John
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #1026
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jba797 View Post
John,

I heard about your RR through some riding buddies on ADV. I'm new to this type of entertainment & really enjoying it. I'm really enjoying your photos as I love photography. Your RR has inspired me to plan some adventures in the future. I look forward to more great photos.

Merry Christmas & God Bless

jba797
Hi jba797,

It's my job to keep you entertained. If I can get you off the couch and out on the roads less traveled, my job is done.

Nice to have you along for the ride and pics.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #1027
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
In.

Hi Lornce,

That name sounds familiar. I remember a Lornce from Ontario on the Airheads mailing list from back in the last century. Surely you can't be the same fun loving dude.

I have gotten older and my airhead has gotten smaller. I'm down to one cylinder.

Cheers,
Airheadjohn
Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #1028
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Bound View Post
Am I the only one who noticed his left hand? Heck, they are on their honeymoon!

Thank you for the great ride report and photos of the architecture. This is only my second RR to follow from start to finish and I can not tell you how inspiring it is. After reading each post, I find myself saying 'He's doing this, so why can't I?' The media continues to show us how dangerous life is there, but I can't help but think that the majority of people in the world are good, caring helpful folk. I have been trying to convince my wife (and two small children) that a ride greater than 30 minutes from a major metropolitan city, has 911 responders, and gladly accepts medical insurance, is a good thing. No luck yet.
Hi Baja_Bound,

Keep the faith. You are at the stage of life where family responsiblities make it tough to take off for long trips. Your time will come. Keep at it.

I notice you paypaled a Christmas present my way. I can't wait to write Baja_Bound on the gas tank as my newest sponsor.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #1029
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post
John you've hurt me with your stop at Playa Majagual for Christmas. Please, please relate every negative aspect you can think of. Are the beers not sufficiently cold? Do you miss the holiday shopping crowds? Certainly palm trees, sun, sand and surf makes you yearn for bare trees, gray overcast skies and freezing temps.

Help a brother out...
Hi ex_MGB,

I just call them like I see them. This place is awesome!

Sorry.

Saludos,

Juan Majagual
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #1030
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
No mercy. No mercy whatsoever...
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #1031
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Spent a relaxing day. Met some other riders heading in for the holidays for some R&R. Here is Josh from Alaska heading south on his 800GS in between surfing sessions:

So as the sun slowly sinks into the west as a lone sailboat glides by:

I wish you and yours a happy holiday.

And a special thanks to my secret Santa bESS for providing my Christmas Eve traditional dinner:

with all the trimmings. I shared it with the folks here. Gracias Amigo!

Buenos Noches,
Juanito
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #1032
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Lornce,

That name sounds familiar. I remember a Lornce from Ontario on the Airheads mailing list from back in the last century. Surely you can't be the same fun loving dude.

I have gotten older and my airhead has gotten smaller. I'm down to one cylinder.

Cheers,
Airheadjohn
John,
You are doing it so right. Enjoy every minute!
(you got me pegged and i've got an '01 KLR now, too)
Best wishes of the Christmas Season,
Lawrence

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #1033
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
A toast to the richest man in Nicaragua!

Merry Christmas J Downs, keep on living the good life and inspiring the rest of us . Check your stocking fine sir and get a meal at the El Pollito Pescador, I ate there several times when I was there.

PDX Alamo screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 10:49 PM Reason: sp
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #1034
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

After dinner last night came back to Matilda's and met a British fellow named Duncan I had gotten in touch with last month through email. What a coincidence!

He had met rtwpaul and Paul was kind enough to forward Duncan's email to me. Duncan had crossed the Darien on boats from Turbo, Colombia to Carti Panama and was full of information. Here is the text of his email:

"This thread gave me the idea - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=416326&page=4 - its a bit old and the main difference is that the road to carti is now asphalt - very exciting but not problematic.

I went to turbo found a cargo boat and put my bike on it there - i then took launchas to CAPURGANA where i got my exit stamp for colombia (you would get your entry stamp) and then another launcha to PUERTO OBALDIA where i got my entry stamp for panama and did my aduana (you would et your exit stamps for panama). My cargo boat with my bike then met me in puerto obaldia and i got on for 12 days stopping at dozens of kuna villages to sell produce. They left me on one island where i took another launcha (with the bike) to carti (just a strip of beach - not a village) and then there are tarmac roads all the way to panama city.

You would do your colombian aduana in turbo. Make sure you have a photocopy of your exit aduana papers from panama.

My boat was called CONCHAECOCO - the captain is called Mariano - no. 3117084350 - cost me 350 dollars - this does not include the launchas i had to take to capurgana and puerto obaldia - an extra 35 dollars. (which i did without the bike to et my passport stamped) - however im not sure if this would be a good boat for you though as they said they were going to take a month to go from panama back to turbo (collectin coconuts).

I am unsure for coming the other way and the thread is more informative and has boat names but i uess you would have to to colon and try and find a cargo boat either going to puerto obaldia or turbo. Definately try and find one that goes all the way to turbo - there were four bikers in puerto obaldia who had been stuck there for 7 days without boats. Also they paid 300 dollars each from turbo to puerto obaldia and then another 200 dollars for a caro boat that eventually came.

Your biggest problem will be i imagine it will be easiest to find a caro boat in colon but this is a pretty danerous place. It is much safer in carti but as i said this is just a strip of beach where tourists get left by launchas - the caro boats dont stop there - mine stopped at an island nearby.

Sorry i cant be more help but email jhon - the owner of hostel florida in turbo - he was very helpful with me and knows some captains - maybe he can help you find a boat before you even get to colon/carti - his email is jhonboteroflorida@live.com - maybe he can find a boat in turbo - work out when it will be arriving in colon/leaving and you can time it to meet it there.

sorry i cant be more help - where are you now - im in costa rica - headin for nicaragua - way too expensive here.

duncan"

Sounds do-able to me although I'll be going the opposite direction. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. Where there's a will there's a way.

Here is Duncan with his wasted front sprocket souvenir from South America:

and the KLR 650 that he bought in Santiago Chile and rode north:

This bike was ridden down to Chile by the original Colorado owner and now Duncan is heading north. It looks like it's been through the war. The left pannier was destroyed in a drop and replaced with a plastic toilet tank with a front fender lid. Perfect fit.Duncan is riding with the original title and a power of attorney that he had drawn up in Chile with the original owner and has been able to get through all the borders except Peru. He had to do some photoshoping of his name onto the original title to make it through the Peru border. Interesting.

4 French girls and a French guy arrived yesterday evening and were cooking dinner on a bonfire by starlight on the beach last night in front of Matilda's. Had grilled prawns and salad with them. They were celebrating Christmas Eve with 2 bottles of rum. Fun watching them get wasted by firelight. I went to bed at 11 and they had their iPad playing music on a log and were dancing on the beach. Fun group of kids. It is always interesting when you get older to realize that you could be their grandfather. Always fun to hang out with upbeat kids no matter what your age. Here 4 of them are this morning in amazingly good shape after a night of partying. Ah, to be young again:

Got up at 5 just as a couple from the Ukraine and a couple from Chicago were arriving for Christmas vacation in Nicaragua. The Ukrainians had been here before. They met the Chicago couple in the Managua airport and shared a night taxi here. Imagine being in freezing Chicago yesterday and arriving at the beach this morning. It was still dark, so I stoked up the fire on the beach and got to know the four new arrivals. Here they are, wasted on the beach after a long journey at sunrise:

more later…….
Old 12-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #1035
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Merry Christmas J Downs, keep on living the good life and inspiring the rest of us . Check your stocking fine sir and get a meal at the El Pollito Pescador, I ate there several times when I was there.
Hi PDXalamo,

I will send pictures from El Pollito Pescador. Will spend your gift wisely on fine cuisine. Thanks so much! I am spending more of your generous gift this morning at La Revolucion Cafe on a breakfast burrito here at my office this morning:

Muchas gracias amigo!
Juanito