Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #46
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcshepherd View Post
I am really leaning towards the 1200 GSA
Get home safe, my brother. First Latte` is on me.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #47
usmcshepherd OP
Master Guns

Oddometer: 8
Follow up

All,

Thanks for the continued help and comments....I'm 6'4" so that was part of the reason I was looking at the Adventure and the fact that I'll probably (at least initially) be riding this largely as a commuter to and from work to save on the diesel for my truck. Someone recommended a V-Strom 650 to start...not sure about those personally, but I've heard a lot good about them as well as the KLR 650. Thoughts?

Looking somewhat long term (and again keep in mind I am not retired yet) I would like to plan a trip next summer (2014) from VA to CO to ride to the top of Pikes Peak and perhaps do part of the COBDR.

I hope to be in CA for a couple months before I get trasnferred to VA so I'd love to meet anyone on the W. Coast for a coffee for sure.

Tim
usmcshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #48
Roughseas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Call me old school but I would personally go for the 1150 or a Jap bike, after helping a friend put together a 1200GSA, the electronics have scared me big time. But then you guys have BMW dealers spread across your continent and we guys in India have to be content with a couple!

BTW the Brit guys returning home from Afganistan get to spend a couple of weeks in Goa...you guys should wrangle a deal like that
Roughseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #49
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
All,

Thanks for the continued help and comments....I'm 6'4" so that was part of the reason I was looking at the Adventure and the fact that I'll probably (at least initially) be riding this largely as a commuter to and from work to save on the diesel for my truck. Someone recommended a V-Strom 650 to start...not sure about those personally, but I've heard a lot good about them as well as the KLR 650. Thoughts?

Looking somewhat long term (and again keep in mind I am not retired yet) I would like to plan a trip next summer (2014) from VA to CO to ride to the top of Pikes Peak and perhaps do part of the COBDR.

I hope to be in CA for a couple months before I get trasnferred to VA so I'd love to meet anyone on the W. Coast for a coffee for sure.

Tim
The Strom and KLR are in a totally different league. The wee strom is close, but not all that close. They are good bikes and a lot of guys will pick up a KLR to compliment the bigger GSA's, but they can't really supplement the big beemer. The KLR would work okay for a big guy, but the wee is not really set up for large riders. Large men do ride them all of the time, but they really aren't designed for that purpose. The KLR is a fine motorcycle if you understand it's purpose and it's limitations.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #50
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
All,

Being a 6'6" former HD rider, skip the intermetiate step and get the GSA. If you are going to be in VA, there is a great dealer just south of Q-town, Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg. They sold me my GSA when I last deployed.

Get it and get it the way you want it.

Stay safe and Merry Chrismas from VA.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #51
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
When are you transferring to VA? If you're coming to the DC area there are three Beemer dealers here. One of them, Battley's has a used 2012 GSA with only 1600 miles for $18995. It includes all three aluminum hard cases too. Also, there's always a coulpe of nice used ones for sale in the Flea market section here. I think someone is selling a '12 GSA for $17,900 in SC. I just picked up an '09 GSA and it fits me like a glove! Good luck and Merry Christmas!
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #52
usmcshepherd OP
Master Guns

Oddometer: 8
Decisions

I know I asked this earlier but would again appreciate anyone's feedback on buying used GSAs. I really like the look of a couple of the 2007 GSAs I've found that are nicely equipped and average 35k miles. Is something to be concerned with or am I crazy for looking at these used bikes when I can have a new Tenere for what these used GSAs are going for?
usmcshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #53
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,996
Not Difficult

Quote:
I know I asked this earlier but would again appreciate anyone's feedback on buying used GSAs. I really like the look of a couple of the 2007 GSAs I've found that are nicely equipped and average 35k miles. Is something to be concerned with or am I crazy for looking at these used bikes when I can have a new Tenere for what these used GSAs are going for?
As always in life, it boils down to what you want. Ride them and then decide.
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #54
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
I picked up my 2011 GSA used. It was sold back to the dealership, and basically was pre-farkled. Had the Vario system cases, additional fog lights, had a Wunderlich seat (which I hated ... seats are such a personal preference thing). But this is really where things that add up really help you when buying used. I sold the rear vario case and seat here, put on a different top case that would hold my 17" laptop, put a stock seat back on the bike (I actually like the stock seat better than anything else I've tried so far), and thinned my herd our in the process. The 2011 I picked up was still in the 18K range, but I'm familiar with the engine and felt comfortable working on the bike should I need to do that while I'm out somewhere remote. That to me was the real key. Plus at the end of the day, everything else on the market is simply compared to the GS, so why not just get the standard bearer? ... and I really like our local BMW dealership and they have treated me and my wife well anytime we needed anything at all.

Wayne
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #55
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Almost all the bikes I have owned in life were purchased used. I look at the bike, but try to form an opinion about the owner - would this person have maintained it? I have gone over 100k miles on several BMW's. They do hold up well. It takes an idiot to destroy one, but there are some people like that out there. I would never buy a used bike unless I met the owner, just my .02. Dave
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #56
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,825
Used Tenere's are hitting the market too, even less cost than a used GS. But I'm biased, I rode BMW's for 30 years and picked up a Tenere used last August. Being in Northern VA, you can probably find someone to let you ride theirs. I found a local AdvRider who let me take out his Tenere, that sealed the deal for me.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #57
fastgpfred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Used isn't an issue. The hunt is fun. I agree with CheckerdD. I want to meet the previous owner. I bought a used ZX9R a few years ago, You could eat off the guys garage floor. No problems with that bike. The pre-farkled thing usually won't be the stuff you want. My current 07 GSA I found used with no farkles and 18K miles...perfect! PM me where in Calif you're going to be. You're welcome to try mine. Bottom line, it's hard not to love a GS. Comfortable, easy to ride fast in the twisties, and a real pack mule!
fastgpfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #58
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
Try and enjoy some time in Afghanistan, very cool people there. I travelled throuout most of the country in 1970 and really came to like them. Poor yet proud. Too bad about the Budda's in Bamiyan
Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #59
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
I know I asked this earlier but would again appreciate anyone's feedback on buying used GSAs. I really like the look of a couple of the 2007 GSAs
Nothing wrong with buying used. I'd look at 2008 or newer for a couple of reasons. The 05-07 have a fixed upper triple clamp and handle bar clamp. At your height you'll want bar risers if you plan on doing much off roading. There are more options at less cost to accomplish this. Also I'd stay away from servo ABS which was standard in 05-06 and optional in 07.

BMW NA has a military program for new purchases.

If you get back to the states before purchasing and want to ride a GSA I can put you on one if you can get to Greenville SC.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #60
AwolArn
Ride-Fly-Boat-Fish

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Consider a standard GS too. They're plenty big and a shitload lighter. GSAs are mainly for posers. The "I'm going to Alaska! Umm ... next year. Maybe" crowd.
WHATEVER! I ride my ole girl everywhere the GS's have gone on the rides I've been with. And I'm only 5'9 and 160# soaking wet. But I'm a retired Squid and have a mean streak endowed by my alcoholic Scottish father and my tender loving MARINE DI's at AOCS back in the day.

First thanks to you ground-pounders. Hats off to ya and prayers up to heaven for ya. Thank-you for standing the watch!

I have an 07 GSA. I bought it used in the fall of 09 with 17,000 miles on it and I love it. I think that starting with a solid used one that you can verify the history on is an excellent way to go. Mine has been trouble free. I can load the hell out of it and ride 500+ mile days on the slab without issue. Then strip off all the gear and go down dirt roads and trails to my heart's content. I've ridden it in California, Arizona, Nevada and Colorado back country. It's reliable and trustworthy. It's also quick and quiet. I have left more than one Harley and crotch-rocket-riding punk at a stoplight and in the twisties eating my big girl's dust! I do some minor wrenching on it too. I'm biased to the BMW, though they all are solid choices. My 2 cents worth: get back home safely and then I'm sure you will find some locals who will show you theirs and let you try them out. Then you will know which one fits and works for you. I know for me, a smaller bike would be better for off-roading. I was going to buy a KTM 350, but this SWEET HP2 Enduro popped up a month ago and well, now I have TWO 1200cc Boxers in the garage. I love them both. If you are around Las Vegas, hit me up. You can try them both.
Best wishes and God Speed Marine.
AwolArn is offline   Reply With Quote