Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #106
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The dealership makes a huge difference. I see from your sig that you're in the Sierras. I've been to Mitchell's in Modesto several times (rented bikes from them) and they were great. Even though I rode in on a different brand and wasn't buying from them, everyone in there treated me well and didn't give me any of the typical HD attitude. If you haven't been in there and are interested in a HD, I'd recommend stopping by.
Thanks for the information. I still own and love my Uly, so if I ever need to go to an HD dealer again (hopefully that will never happen) I'll consider Mitchell's.

And as far as me ever owning an HD motorcycle: After seeing the HD attitude and culture up close I would never want to be part of it nor have others think I was.

I understand that 'back in the day' HD was actually a MOTORCYCLE company first and foremost and not a (clannish, snobbish, childish) Life-style company.

Other brands sell that type of v-twin, cruiser, touring motorcycle; Victory, Star, etc. That's where I'd go.

Hoppalong screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 02:48 PM
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #107
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,374
I am a big believer in ride what you want and the hell with what others think. Rode harleys for 30 + yrs and attitudes goes both ways......

I like my Uly and I like my Harleys....what one doesn't do for me the other does
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #108
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I am a big believer in ride what you want and the hell with what others think. Rode harleys for 30 + yrs and attitudes goes both ways......

I like my Uly and I like my Harleys....what one doesn't do for me the other does
I couldn't agree more. I've also been on Harleys since the early 80's, and couldn't give a hoot about what the sales/parts guy at the the dealer thinks about what I ride.

Seems to me that sometimes the 'anti Harley' sentiment can be just as boorish as the behavior being discounted.

The wife had a Can-Am Spyder for a few years, I used to ride that to the Harley dealer and to bike events frequently. Most folks were genuinely interested in it, I never received any negative comments.

I bought my Uly from a Harley dealer, where most of the staff owns Buell's. I've been to a couple of my local dealers and indy shops since I've bought it, and have only experienced positive feedback.

The only dis-interest I've encountered on the Uly, is when I had to stop at the 'German' bike dealership to look for a Gerbing battery lead.....

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #109
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
Seems to me that sometimes the 'anti Harley' sentiment can be just as boorish as the behavior being discounted.
BINGO ! Loud pipes vs loud mouths...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #110
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,298
Alright, whose is this? And why? GLWS.

2009 Buell Ulysses with 9K miles and warranty - $6895 (hollister)

Date:
3bt2m-3498797743@sale.craigslist.org[?]
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12X XP with 9K miles, full factory warranty till 2014. Drummer exhaust and stock muffler also. Three Hepco Becker hard cases. Heated grips.
Delivery available
Link to more pics and videos:
http://s1113.beta.photobucket.com/us...uell%20Ulysses
Adventure, GS

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #111
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
Understood.

But ask yourself why there is so much 'anti Harley' sentiment. Or should I say, "If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand."
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #112
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
Understood.

But ask yourself why there is so much 'anti Harley' sentiment. Or should I say, "If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand."
It's been my experience, that when I go somewhere with an attitude, I'm usually met with the same. When I'm interested and open-minded, the results are generally different......

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #113
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I still own and love my Uly, so if I ever need to go to an HD dealer again (hopefully that will never happen) I'll consider Mitchell's.

And as far as me ever owning an HD motorcycle: After seeing the HD attitude and culture up close I would never want to be part of it nor have others think I was.

I understand that 'back in the day' HD was actually a MOTORCYCLE company first and foremost and not a (clannish, snobbish, childish) Life-style company.

Other brands sell that type of v-twin, cruiser, touring motorcycle; Victory, Star, etc. That's where I'd go.
I hear ya.....

I've ridden every touring model HD makes, and I REALLY like the new Roadie. One day I may own one. They are amazing mile munching machines. I've done a bit of touring on one, and I've never stepped off a bike and felt better (not cramped, tired, etc). But honestly, the "life-style" thing is really starting to get to me with those bikes, and it may keep me away from the brand. I understand re. "ride whatever you want to ride", but people see you riding a certain brand and tend to associate you with that brand and how that brand is perceived. Right, wrong, or otherwise, that's the way it is. Given the shenanigans that many "life stylers" pull, that image isn't a good one, and I don't want to be associated with it. I know it's my loss because I know how good those bikes are, but for now, I'm staying away exactly because of HD's marketing BS. Maybe if enough other like-minded people do the same, the HD execs will realize theirs is a losing game, and they will have to change their tactics or sit and watch their sales dwindle into non-existence.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #114
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,144
More Buell Bliss, less "1001 reasons why I hate the Harley mentality" drivel.

There's no lack of adv threads on this subject, ad nauseam...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #115
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
But ask yourself why there is so much 'anti Harley' sentiment.
Because being ignorant, prejudiced and relying on stereotypes is a lot easier than actually thinking.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #116
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,165
And now, back to why I love my Uly !
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #117
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
More Buell Bliss, less "1001 reasons why I hate the Harley mentality" drivel.

There's no lack of adv threads on this subject, ad nauseam...

996DL
And there are no lack of threads on "why I love my Buell". Go read some of them and be happy.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #118
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,374
Can't we all just get along? Just kidding.....

I recently put bar weights on my Uly and filled the bars. Helped quite a bit and found out I can tighten the bar weights ups to where they act as a friction throttle lock which helps the most with hand numbness..........yep thats an older Harley in the back ground....still running strong

kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #119
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,165
I put barkbusters with end weights on my Uly and it helped quite a bit. I also have a throttle rocker so I can relax my grip a little. What did you fill handlebars with ? I have a few old HD's in the garage myself. I have a 52 flathead, 65 pan and 80 shovel. Love riding the old bikes. They have a soul
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #120
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Alright, whose is this? And why? GLWS.

2009 Buell Ulysses with 9K miles and warranty - $6895 (hollister)

Date:
3bt2m-3498797743@sale.craigslist.org[?]
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12X XP with 9K miles, full factory warranty till 2014. Drummer exhaust and stock muffler also. Three Hepco Becker hard cases. Heated grips.
Delivery available
Link to more pics and videos:
http://s1113.beta.photobucket.com/us...uell%20Ulysses
Adventure, GS

It's in the flea market. He has a ton of bikes and is thinning the herd.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote