Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #6601
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Ok, Without me going to the garage and getting the OE service manual to look at this is the way I think this works.

The oil pump has two rotors. One rotor takes the oil from the sump or bottom of the engine and sends it up that pipe behind the front down tube to the oil tank under the gas tank. Oil then flows down the down tune and enters the other side of the pump. This side services the engine lubrication side of things. Now since the oil is cold as can be it's really thick and thus has a lot of resistance to get it moving. Now this is where the by-pass valve comes into play. The valve is spring loaded and when the thick oil is pushed through the pump the valve slides over uncovering another passage way to allow the thick oil to have some where to go. The spring slams the valve shut which is what your hearing. This happens over and over until the oil warms up some and becomes thinner taking the load off of the pump.

This is my idea of how this cycle works. If I'm wrong someone can correct my line of reasoning.
yup, I found a oil flow diagram in the xr650l manual and that's pretty much how it works. the scavenge pump tries move the oil from the sump into the tank. it also feeds the gear box through an orifice, for whatever reason. the main pump feeds the oil filter and from there the top end and bottom end, but not the gearbox. the by-pass/press relief between the main pump and the oil filter. probably important to keep the oil filter clean on these, unless it also has a by-pass.

the only thing I don't understand for sure, is why the oil from the tank doesn't slowly seep through the pump into the crankcase, somehow. I think there must be another valve somewhere or maybe the press. relief valve also has that function. i.e. low pressure = closed, high pressure = by-pass. I'll have to look at it in detail sometime when I have one apart.

cynicwanderer screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 11:29 AM
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #6602
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
i always thought this extra noise when cold was the topend not receiving oil as quickly because the cold oil was thicker and harder to get circulated.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #6603
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,104
What I have been referring to as the by-pass valve Honda calls it the Oil Leak Stopper valve. What keeps the oil from draining from the frame to the engines sump is the Leak Stopper Oil Seal. I replaced this seal the last time I worked on my engine as it would sump up with oil. Having installed that seal the oil no longer drains down from the frame.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #6604
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,230
well the noise comes from the right cover only when it's 40 or below. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #6605
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

yes, that makes sense. I have a oil pump sitting right here and that would be the valve on the main pump (i.e. from tank to oil filter and then top/bottom end). they refer to that valve as the press. relief valve, in the xr650l oil flow diagram. when there is no pressure, it's closed and prevents the oil from going in the sump. there is a hole at end plate (#11), I don't know if it also by-passes through there at higher pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
What I have been referring to as the by-pass valve Honda calls it the Oil Leak Stopper valve. What keeps the oil from draining from the frame to the engines sump is the Leak Stopper Oil Seal. I replaced this seal the last time I worked on my engine as it would sump up with oil. Having installed that seal the oil no longer drains down from the frame.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #6606
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

ok wait, I don't think it's a hole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer View Post
yes, that makes sense. I have a oil pump sitting right here and that would be the valve on the main pump (i.e. from tank to oil filter and then top/bottom end). they refer to that valve as the press. relief valve, in the xr650l oil flow diagram. when there is no pressure, it's closed and prevents the oil from going in the sump. there is a hole at end plate (#11), I don't know if it also by-passes through there at higher pressures.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #6607
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
Check your stator, should be connections under your seat, some where around 250 ohms is good, too high or too low and it will be hard to start. (Rickys aftermarket stators test around 100 ohms though for some reason.)
I re-wound mine and it is one or two kicks now hot or cold.
Oh yeah, never turn the throttle while kicking, NEVER!
Thanks Mike, Have just installed a ricky stator which i hoped would solve all the problems but it appears not.
I'm getting a good healthy spark so i am back to the drawing board! Th compression seems to get less the more you kick the thing so i put my comp. tester in but not sure that it is sealing properly got a reading of about 40psi.
So now I'm back to checking valve clearances, comp relief etc. The motor doesn't even seem to want to fire so i'm a bit pissed off at the moment am sick of kicking the bloody thing!
m2h
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #6608
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Went to go ride a few minutes ago and when I started the old beast, I noticed a strange kinda rattling ticking noise coming from the right side case. It it increased in speed with a light rev. and just as I was about to switch it off it, the noise stopped. it only happened for like 20 seconds tops.

What could that noise be??
It could be a number of things. The straight-cut primary gears can make noise, the oil pump gears might make noise, and the kickstart ratchet definitely makes noise when it's cold...at least it does in my engine. A video/audio recording of yours would be helpful.

Whatever anyone does, ignore the oil system schematic for a 650L. Honda confused everyone when they mislabeled the anti-drainback valve in the oil pump as a pressure relief. The only bypass of any sort in the whole system is in the oil filter.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #6609
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
It could be a number of things. The straight-cut primary gears can make noise, the oil pump gears might make noise, and the kickstart ratchet definitely makes noise when it's cold...at least it does in my engine. A video/audio recording of yours would be helpful.
It only happens when it's cold. Forty degrees F is the highest it will happen at.

I went on a 65 mile joy ride today, left this morning and it was making the noise when I first started the bike. lasted less than a minute and no funny noises the whole ride.

Quote:
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #6610
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Oh, I have been there, I'm glad I have a plastic tank or else it would be full of knuckle dents

I sure we all have a some point.

It's worth the pain trust me

Take a break and come back to it later with a clear head.

Pete
Maybe i'll just drink more, xmas after all!!
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #6611
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Just remembered I left the gas petcock on 10hrs ago
I never remember to turn mine off.

Quote:

RFVC600R screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 08:27 PM
Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #6612
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Finally fixed that damn oil leak on my alternator cover, my uncle used a cereal box to make a gasket for me. He put paint on the mating surfaces and pressed the carboard against it. 10 minutes later with the Exacto blade, I had a tweaker gasket. I shoulda took a picture of it, It looked like it came out of the gasket set, apart from the rice krispies designed on one side

Next is fork seals, seat cover, tires, chain and sprockets next payday. Then this bike will be ready for anything.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #6613
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 574
Merry Christmas to All, and a happy, prosperous and safe New Year.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #6614
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa brought you lots of XL goodies :)

Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #6615
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
Merry Christmas to you guys and to everyone as well.