User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #106
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,465
Tried DockingPilot's method and as previously stated, works nicely in mapsource, converting between auto an direct routing. But with a 60csx the route must be recalculated in the gps and the combination of auto and direct is lost.
However, if WinGDB is used on the route with option 13, you will get a direct route which will follow the curves of a road where the auto routing was used in mapsource.
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #107
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,899
Guys,
Gotta revive this old dog thread.
I am back in the USA and plan to ride out west for the immediate future/this winter and spring so I need to build up some westren USA-Mex maps.

I am hoping to get Mexico on a 2 gig card using city nav and world map for data plus any good open source maps that are out there.

As for the west, south west and the Pacific coast, hope to break it into two 4gig cards and maybe squeeze in canada and Alaska.

For this data I hope to use City Nav, Roads and rec, World map and some Topo.

I need to build the various map sets and transfer them to the cards. I think I understand that part but using Topo, World map. and Roads and rec along side City Nav is causing a problem for me.

City nav data appears to be stored in my computer but the other unlocked maps need to spin as CD's to extract the data.

Is that right?

If it is, how do I build the various maps and know when to change the discs.

I am off to Walmart to buy a micro SD card reader and some micro SD cards.

I am gonna need your help understanding how this works.

Another related question, I never installed Trip and Waypoint manager, should I install it, what is it?

Thanks,
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 01:00 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #108
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
The early MapSource products look for the data from the same location which "setup" was in. Install from the disk it looks for data from the disk. If you had copied the disk contents to a folder you created and run "setup" from that folder location then the MapSource/BaseCamp will look to the folder. The newer stuff (CN) loads the data to the computer by default so no disk necessary.

But that's water under the bridge unless you are willing to reinstall the old programs (R&R, Topo and maybe WorldMap). As the software builds the map-sets it should ask for the disk when needed. I use Mapsource to install maps to the card installed in the GPS and shown as a drive. Using a card reader, BaseCamp or MapInstall I don't know as well.

Another couple hints;
Remember that in addition to the memory required you will be limited to 2025 tiles per chip.
Be sure you areas of coverage overlap by a fair amount as it sucks to have to swap chips numerous time because you are near the boundary.
And Topo uses a lot of space so don't select or deselect areas which have little relevance for Topo like urban areas (downtown LA).

I think Trip & Waypoint Manager is a crude version of MapSource, you shouldn't need it.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #109
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
If you had copied the disk contents to a folder you created and run "setup" from that folder location then the MapSource/BaseCamp will look to the folder.

Bruce I don't have anything saved.

But that's water under the bridge unless you are willing to reinstall the old programs (R&R, Topo and maybe WorldMap).

No problem I will reinstall them, I need to learn how to save them.

Another couple hints;
Remember that in addition to the memory required you will be limited to 2025 tiles per chip.
Be sure you areas of coverage overlap by a fair amount as it sucks to have to swap chips numerous time because you are near the boundary.
And Topo uses a lot of space so don't select or deselect areas which have little relevance for Topo like urban areas (downtown LA).

Thanks for the tips, Topo is mostly out because of the spae it uses.

Bruce
I will try to build a trial map set and load it for my local area.
Could you explain how the map sets are saved.

Thanks bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #110
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
like mcnut explainded...

i know roads and rec pulls from the original install location when adding tiles to the gps unit. i copy the whole r&r install disc to a fold on my machine and then install from there. then it pulls from there when needed.

any other mapset you have that does this, unitstall it from add/remove programs and then copy disc to hardrive and then reinstall.

i use topo 2008 and it does not pull from the disc. it installs to the HD like city nav does.

Trip & Waypoint Manager: my 60CSX had that CD with it in the box when i bought it. I installed it and then on the 1st update it changes over to Mapsource. Garmin just evolved it and changed the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Guys,
Gotta revive this old dog thread.
I am back in the USA and plan to ride out west for the immediate future/this winter and spring so I need to build up some westren USA-Mex maps.

I am hoping to get Mexico on a 2 gig card using city nav and world map for data plus any good open source maps that are out there.

As for the west, south west and the Pacific coast, hope to break it into two 4gig cards and maybe squeeze in canada and Alaska.

For this data I hope to use City Nav, Roads and rec, World map and some Topo.

I need to build the various map sets and transfer them to the cards. I think I understand that part but using Topo, World map. and Roads and rec along side City Nav is causing a problem for me.

City nav data appears to be stored in my computer but the other unlocked maps need to spin as CD's to extract the data.

Is that right?

If it is, how do I build the various maps and know when to change the discs.

I am off to Walmart to buy a micro SD card reader and some micro SD cards.

I am gonna need your help understanding how this works.

Another related question, I never installed Trip and Waypoint manager, should I install it, what is it?

Thanks,
bill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #111
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Guys,
Well every day a problem,
Had the micro SD card out of my GPS and it came loose yesterday cause I put it in wrong while the unit was on and working. The unit worked this morning to see where I was yesterday but whemI tried to load more maps I got the message that the card was not in place so I put it in correctly so I put it in correctly and now the GPS won't stay on unless I hold the on/off button down. Put in fresh batteries, all I get is the intro screen and it fades ut and shuts off.

Not sure what to do?

Maybe a hard restart?

Feeling real dumb this morning.

More, tried a hard reset, unit works without the card inserted but shuts doen with the card in place.

OK, more, put a new 4 gig card in place, now the unit is back to normal and the water is blue...yes blue, must have corrupted the old card with it ratting around in there. The reset made the water blue again. Just lovely.

any ideas on fixing it?

Gonna try to load a map set.

bill

Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 11:42 AM
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #112
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Maybe you can try mounting the microSD card in a card reader and see if your computer can recognize and read it.

You might have trashed the card. You might want buy a new one and try it.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #113
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
I'm not going to be a lot of help as it's been a while and I'm headed out the door;

Keep in mind the 2025 tile/segment limit as in my experience you hit that before running out of memory. Don't think you can even get past 2 gigs with the older maps.

Also remember that all maps products/segments are built into a mapset and overwrite any existing in the chip. You can't just add more later without starting over. You can save the list (not the data) of maps you loaded in a MapSource file though which makes it easer if you ever need to reload them if you took lots of time selecting what to put on the chip. This is not an issue with a brand new chip obviously.

I don't know how to do it via a card reader as I always had the card in the GPS which was plugged into the computer, a little slow as I think it's USB 1.0 not 2.0 speed.

Not sure what the problem with the water is, whats wrong with blue? Color pallet setting? Day/Night setting? Land cover/line setting?

Good luck.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #114
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Mcnutt, Wbbn, Ekins,
Sorry about any confusion, I didn't have blue water, now I do I like it very much,big improvement.

Got a local map set loaded, new 4 gig card in, World map, Rds&Rec and Cty Nav all loaded, and then saved it to my Docs so I am doing real well plus the Packers are doing it to to Tennissee.

I'll try your suggestions on the card reader and corrupt card and get back tonight.

Thanks for your help.
bill

Edit: You guys rock, cleared out the 2 gig corruptness with the car reader and deleted the info, working well again.

I'll try some bigger sets tonight, maybe a little Topo for Moab and Canyonlands area.

bill

Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 12:05 PM
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #115
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post

I don't know how to do it via a card reader as I always had the card in the GPS which was plugged into the computer, a little slow as I think it's USB 1.0 not 2.0 speed.

Bruce

You just put the microSD card into the reader and plug it into a Card Reader port on your computer. Then in Windows select My Computer and the the disc will show up along with your other discs. You can open it and look to see what's there. You can also write auxiliary stuff to it if you want.

I would guess you would get errors if the disc were defective and you tried to read or write to it.

The last few microSD cards I have bought came with a reader.

wbbnm screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 09:55 AM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #116
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Right,
Just bought a 2 pack of 4 gig cards at Walmart-Scandisk, came with the reader...$14.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #117
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Received from Garmin.

Garmin in English for Dummies

How do I view Topo maps when multiple maps are loaded?Friday, December 21, 2012 1:50 PMFrom: "productsupport@garmin.com" <productsupport@garmin.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "bmwstbill@yahoo.com" <bmwstbill@yahoo.com>
How do I view Topo maps when multiple maps are loaded?

When multiple detailed maps are loaded to the gps they will be displayed in a specific hierarchy. The City Navigator(or other road maps) maps will be at the top and the Topo will be below them so this could cause the topo maps to not be viewable.

To change this, go into Map Setup and hide the City Navigator maps using the following steps.

1.On the Map page press the Menu button
2.Scroll down to Setup Map and press Enter
3.Scroll over to the Information icon (lower case I inside of a circle) and press Menu
4.Scroll down to Hide City Navigator and press Enter
The Topo maps should now be visible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I view tracks in Mapsource from my memory card?Friday, December 21, 2012 1:23 PMFrom: "productsupport@garmin.com" <productsupport@garmin.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "bmwstbill@yahoo.com" <bmwstbill@yahoo.com>
How can I view tracks in Mapsource from my memory card?

Mapping handhelds that accept microSD cards can records its tracks to this card. Devices with this capability are:

•GPSMAP 60CSx, 60Cx
•GPSMAP 76CSx, 76Cx
•eTrex Vista HCx, Cx
•eTrex Legend HCx, Cx
•eTrex Venture Cx
•Rino 530 HCx, 520HCx
To upload the tracks into MapSource:

1.Connect device to computer via USB cable
2.Press the Menu button twice to access Main menu
3.Select Setup
4.Select Interface
5.Select USB Mass Storage Mode.
6.Open MapSource
7.Click File
8.Select Open
9.Select on the microSD removable drive
10.Select the Garmin folder
11.Select the saved track
The track will appear as a GPX file with the date the track was created as the file name. The track tab on the left side of the MapSource program will dispaly the track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flag this messageWhat do the different file extensions stand for when saving or opening a file in MapSource?Friday, December 21, 2012 1:18 PMFrom: "productsupport@garmin.com" <productsupport@garmin.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "bmwstbill@yahoo.com" <bmwstbill@yahoo.com>
What do the different file extensions stand for when saving or opening a file in MapSource?

MapSource is a program that allows for creation of userdata like waypoints, routes, and tracks. This userdata can then be sent to a Garmin GPS device over serial or USB connections.

When userdata is created in MapSource, the information can be saved as a file on the computer which can be opened again or sent to someone else for them to use. MapSource can save the userdata in the following file formats (extensions):

•.gdb - Garmin Database file (version 2 or 3) - This is a standard Garmin Database file extension. This can be used with most of Garmin's mapping programs.
•.mps - MapSource GPS Mapping Interface - This is a MapSource specific file. This file can be opened by most of Garmin's mapping programs, but can only be created by MapSource.
•.txt - Text (Tab Delimited) - This format is just a basic text file with tabbed spacing between various bits of information. This is mostly used if a printed list of waypoints is required.
•.dxf - AutoCAD Drawing Exchange Format - This format was developed by Autodesk so that other programs such as MapSource can create data for use with AutoCAD.
•.gpx - GPS eXchange Format - This format is a commonly used XML data format to exchange GPS userdata between many different applications and web services.
When a file with userdata is to be opened in MapSource, it has to have one of the following file extensions:

•.gdb - Garmin Database file (version 2 or 3) - This is a standard Garmin Database file extension. This can be used with most of Garmin's mapping programs.
•.mps - MapSource GPS Mapping Interface - This is a MapSource specific file. This file can be opened by most of Garmin's mapping programs, but can only be created by MapSource.
•.gpx - GPS eXchange Format - This format is a commonly used XML data format to exchange GPS userdata between many different applications and web services.
•.tcx - Training Center Database - This XML file is created when saving data from Garmin Training Center.
•.loc - This is a file extension used in a third party program called EasyGPS.

.................................................. .................................................. .

Flag this messageIn MapSource how do I switch between my different mapping versions or types?Friday, December 21, 2012 1:16 PMFrom: "productsupport@garmin.com" <productsupport@garmin.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "bmwstbill@yahoo.com" <bmwstbill@yahoo.com>
In MapSource how do I switch between my different mapping versions or types?

Multiple maps can be viewed in MapSource.

To switch between products:

1.Click View
2.Click Switch to Product
3.Click on the map version you would like to change to
The map will now change to the selected version. Maps version can also be changed by using the drop down menu on the MapSource tool bar.

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Flag this messageWhy am I getting an error message when I select over 4GB of mapping within MapSource or MapInstall?Friday, December 21, 2012 1:15 PMFrom: "productsupport@garmin.com" <productsupport@garmin.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "bmwstbill@yahoo.com" <bmwstbill@yahoo.com>
Why am I getting an error message when I select over 4GB of mapping within MapSource or MapInstall?

When selecting over 4 GB of mapping data, the following error may occur:

•MapSource ? The map set is larger than 4GB.
•MapInstall ? The storage bar will turn red and the image size will say Over 4GB.
The limitation is due to the maximum file size for Garmin.img files is 4 GB. The applications are functioning as expected to ensure the maximum file size is not exceeded.

To resolve this issue, use the latest version of MapInstall (v4.0 or newer). The latest version of MapInstall can load maps larger than 4 GB only to compatible units. For example, using a larger 8 GB memory card in a non-compatible device will continue to cap the install at 4 GB. Using compatible devices will enable MapInstall to utilize the entire space available on the larger memory card. MapInstall can be downloaded from: http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

After updating MapInstall or selecting a smaller region in MapSource the issue should be corrected
.................................................. .................................................. ..

Flag this messageHow do I use MapSource?Friday, December 21, 2012 1:15 PMFrom: "productsupport@garmin.com" <productsupport@garmin.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: "bmwstbill@yahoo.com" <bmwstbill@yahoo.com>
How do I use MapSource?

A tutorial of how to use MapSource can be found on the Garmin website.

To view the Garmin MapSource tutorial:

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/m...eTutorial.html

After watching the tutorial you'll be ready to send waypoint, routes , and tracks to your Garmin Device.

Hope this helps someone.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #118
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Bump.
From the OP.
Rereading the old posts.

More questions to come.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #119
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,722
cool, this is on my subscribed list.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #120
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Rusty Rocket and everyone,
I am going to start a new thread with the idea of helping all inmates build a basic North American(including Mexico and the Baja)mapset for the GPSmap 60CSx(and other similar units) in the hopes that it will help us load a complete set of maps contaiing City Nav, Roads and Rec, and Topo.

Using these maps combined as sets it is my hope that motorcycle travelers, RVers, campers, bicyclists and kayaker/boaters among us will be able to find their way more easily using the Garmin maps.

Building this mapset will require the purchase of the locked City Nav maps(from Garmin) and the locating or sharing of data found on the older version of Topo and Roads and Rec often refered to in this thread.

bill

Bill Shockley