Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #961
zenduddhist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Just out of curiousity, why not look at 2010+ ? Price? Or is there something about the hexheads you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moose View Post
Im looking for soem advice. Im looking for a hexhead 1200RT ( 2005-2009) I know that 05-06 have the servo assisted brakes and that 08+ require the gs-911. With all this is there a year that you would recommend or any other suggestions to factor in when I looking?

A couple of the things I have already been advise to look for.
  • maintenance history,
  • history of how the bike has been ridden
  • options ( cruise, heated grips & heated seat are among the one that are most important to me)
  • farkles,
  • overall appearance
  • vibe from the current owner
  • price
Thanks for your input
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #962
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 528
I would love a 2010 or newer 1200RT but unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds and the camhead seems to do the best at fitting the budget.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:08 AM   #963
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moose View Post
Im looking for soem advice. Im looking for a hexhead 1200RT ( 2005-2009) I know that 05-06 have the servo assisted brakes and that 08+ require the gs-911. With all this is there a year that you would recommend or any other suggestions to factor in when I looking?

A couple of the things I have already been advise to look for.
  • maintenance history,
  • history of how the bike has been ridden
  • options ( cruise, heated grips & heated seat are among the one that are most important to me)
  • farkles,
  • overall appearance
  • vibe from the current owner
  • price
Thanks for your input
I have two bikes with the linked servo assist brakes, a 2006 RT and a 2004 GS Adventure. I like them, they are true two finger brakes. Learn to do the brake fluid flushes yourself and do it every year or two and they are pretty trouble free.

I prefer a heated vest over a heated seat but living in So Cal, neither is critical. Heated grips are a must have which I use often. Good maintenance records seem to be more important on later model BMW's than on other brands. With good maintenance they are reliable 100k mi. plus bikes.

One more issue on 07 and earlier RT's is the ease of final drive fluid changes. I think they added the drain plug in 08. Again, if you do it yourself it's no big deal to change FD fluid on an earlier one.

Good luck whichever you end up buying

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #964
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
(snip)
One more issue on 07 and earlier RT's is the ease of final drive fluid changes. I think they added the drain plug in 08. Again, if you do it yourself it's no big deal to change FD fluid on an earlier one.
2005-2007 RTs have a FD drain plug but in the 9 o'clock position rather than 6 o'clock starting with 2008 model year. More convenient to service with no need to remove wheel, disconnect drive shaft boot and drop the pumpkin to 6 o'clock for draining. Not a deal-breaker 'cus earlier hexhead RTs are typically serviced in combo with tire replacement.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #965
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Anyone have one on there R1200RT ?? I`m either looking at the medium Aeroflow or get a Parabellum or a Vstream. What do you think ??
Got a VStream and I'm very pleased with it, perfect airflow to myself for cooling without any buffetingnor noise. I'm only 5'7 so normal size works great.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #966
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 92
Got myself a ThrottleMeister but I can't get it to work properly, I'm probably doing something stupid but no idea what it can be. Installed by dealer, full twist but it will not get a grip on the throttle so when released just jumps back to idle as if nothing was there.
Any ideas? Thx
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #967
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Got myself a ThrottleMeister but I can't get it to work properly, I'm probably doing something stupid but no idea what it can be. Installed by dealer, full twist but it will not get a grip on the throttle so when released just jumps back to idle as if nothing was there.
Any ideas? Thx
I have T-meisters on both motos in my sig. If the dealer had furnished you the install instructions, you'd have seen that Marker Machine furnishes shim washers of various thickness to adjust "gap" and resulting friction at the fully engaged position. I suggest you remove the throttle side and see what's been used, then proceed from there. If no shims, then the throttle housing must be moved slightly outboard possibly in combo with shim(s). Also suggest using a bit of Loctite Blue (or similar) on the hex bolt after function is where you want it...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #968
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effjay View Post
I have T-meisters on both motos in my sig. If the dealer had furnished you the install instructions, you'd have seen that Marker Machine furnishes shim washers of various thickness to adjust "gap" and resulting friction at the fully engaged position. I suggest you remove the throttle side and see what's been used, then proceed from there. If no shims, then the throttle housing must be moved slightly outboard possibly in combo with shim(s). Also suggest using a bit of Loctite Blue (or similar) on the hex bolt after function is where you want it...

+! .

Cameleer: What you are looking for (shims) are washers of two different thicknesses. There are "full thickness" and "half-thickness" washers. Stacking the combination will assist you in placing the Throttlemeister in the correct position for the "piston" to move into position to hold the throttle grip in place. It is actually quite easy to adjust once you realize that there is a piston moving in and out of the right side weight assembly, and it cannot start too far away from the throttle grip.

The problem you are describing tells me that the washer stack inside the bar end is too tall (too many or no half-thickness washers). Take one out and try it again and see if that allows the piston to push into the throttle grip. Be certain that you can fully disengage the friction after your installation.

I know it sounds dumb, but be sure the bar end with the piston is on the throttle side. I actually found a set reversed by a dealership installer. They had no clue, obviously !.

Another problem I have seen is that installers put all the half-washers on the clutch side bar end, so check and see if they are over there.

Only other hint I can give is to be sure the piston is fully retracted into the bar end, and that the shim washer stack has the bar end with a visible gap, but not too far away from the throttle.

If you discover that you are missing the half-thickness washers, you can give Throttlemeister a call and they will send you a couple, usually without charge. If you are in a hurry, I have actually manufactured half-washers by taking some stainless steel washers and grinding them on a carborundum stone. Took about 30 minutes to do that for my RT after I dropped the shim washers and could not find the half-washer (Murphy's law number 94 or some such!).

Good luck !

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 06:00 PM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #969
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Got a VStream and I'm very pleased with it, perfect airflow to myself for cooling without any buffetingnor noise. I'm only 5'7 so normal size works great.
thanks for the reply
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #970
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 198
I *just* got back from my local combo BMW/Triumph dealer and was the first customer to sit on their new Trophy back to back with a '12 RT. I didn't have my gear with me (wasn't expecting them to have it), so I didn't get a ride. I'll be back next week to demo the RT and Trophy.

The Trophy looks and feels like a bigger bike. You are very aware of the extra heft when going on and off the side and center stands, although the CG doesn't seem to bad. The fairing is larger and looks like a 1-piece, where the RT has the 2-piece look, which makes it look a little smaller. The fairing is a little taller and wider at the top - more square than the RT. Bar ergos are very well set up for covering a lot of miles - lots of pull back on the bars, requiring essentially no reach forward. The windscreen has a LOT of travel. The gauges and main display are large and easy to read. The radio switch gear seems a little fussy - a big box mounted inboard of the "regular" left switchgear

The RT felt a little smaller and lighter, trimmer in the fairing. I didn't feel like the RT was lacking in wind protection, so I'm surprised that the Trophy's fairing was wider all around. Some of little details on the RT seemed better designed and executed, but its clear it is an older design.

I'll post riding impressions next week, but its clear that BMW has direct competition for the RT, and hopefully they are paying attention with the RT's redesign for the water boxer motor.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #971
zenduddhist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
I *just* got back from my local combo BMW/Triumph dealer and was the first customer to sit on their new Trophy back to back with a '12 RT. I didn't have my gear with me (wasn't expecting them to have it), so I didn't get a ride. I'll be back next week to demo the RT and Trophy.

The Trophy looks and feels like a bigger bike. You are very aware of the extra heft when going on and off the side and center stands, although the CG doesn't seem to bad. The fairing is larger and looks like a 1-piece, where the RT has the 2-piece look, which makes it look a little smaller. The fairing is a little taller and wider at the top - more square than the RT. Bar ergos are very well set up for covering a lot of miles - lots of pull back on the bars, requiring essentially no reach forward. The windscreen has a LOT of travel. The gauges and main display are large and easy to read. The radio switch gear seems a little fussy - a big box mounted inboard of the "regular" left switchgear

The RT felt a little smaller and lighter, trimmer in the fairing. I didn't feel like the RT was lacking in wind protection, so I'm surprised that the Trophy's fairing was wider all around. Some of little details on the RT seemed better designed and executed, but its clear it is an older design.

I'll post riding impressions next week, but its clear that BMW has direct competition for the RT, and hopefully they are paying attention with the RT's redesign for the water boxer motor.
Thanks for the report. Please keep us informed after you have ridden both bikes. The trophy is the only bike I would consider as a replacement for my R1200RT. I am most concerned about the Trophy's suspension and heat management from the engine. I don't think Triumph will be able to beat out the suspension. And if it gives off any heat from the engine, it's a deal killer, immediately...

Looking forward to hearing your ride report.
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #972
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,084
Question sticky switch

...anyone out there have a problem with a sticky turn signal switch?
I noticed my left switch sticking the other day. Would not cancel intermittently. Sometimes the 4 way flashers will come on if I do use the cancel switch.
So best way to make sure it cancels correctly is to flip the left side sitch in reverse and then hit the cancel switch.
Not sure what's up but I assume it must be worn. (43K bike).

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #973
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
Thanks for the report. Please keep us informed after you have ridden both bikes. The trophy is the only bike I would consider as a replacement for my R1200RT. I am most concerned about the Trophy's suspension and heat management from the engine. I don't think Triumph will be able to beat out the suspension. And if it gives off any heat from the engine, it's a deal killer, immediately...

Looking forward to hearing your ride report.
I'm really looking forward to riding both bikes back-to-back. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I share your concerns about the suspension. This is their first electronic adjustable unit (supposedly made by WP), so I would be a little nervous about its reliability, and going on BMWs experience, replacing the ESA shocks isn't cheap. Also, the conventional fork up front probably won't be as good as the RTs.

As for engine heat, I haven't heard any press reports of a problem, and the Explorer (which has basically the same engine) was fine. My concern with heat would be that the bike is too warm for the Texas summers - the RT is already pretty warm, and the Trophy looks to have wider fairings than the RT.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #974
Robear
Quack Kills

Oddometer: 158
Rapid Dog,

I had trouble with my 06 left turn signal not canceling. I was able to take the plastic cover off and access the actual switch itself. On my bike it is just a small white button type switch. Hit it with some contact cleaner and some dielecric grease and it cured the problem.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #975
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,421
Anybody have any experience with PIAA 1100 LED lights ? I was thinking about using them with the Ezy-Mount under the oil cooler.Still have a few months to figure it out.