Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #91
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,359
Just getting back into a picture taking mode while out roaming. Figured I'd share a few and comment on them. Most off the Bandit , a few off my boat, one out of my truck coming back with my new Table Lift to replace the old hydraulic one the finally give it it.

This is a BIG STATUE of Sam Houston right off I 45 near Huntsville, Tx. Took this on the way back home with my lift. Was really surprised how big it was.

My old lift coming out of the shop. Doing this alone so had to really plan and be careful. Lots of heavy iron.

Roaming about Southeast of Lake Charles and had to make a U turn when I saw this.

Yep! Tis a Zebra. I past it 3 times and it just looked at me as I went by. Just wonder what it was thinking of the little old dude with a blue jacket and helmet passing on a red Bandit...

I do most of my pictures off the bike using this technique. I can get the camera out, turn it on and just point and shoot with my left hand only. Easy to just drop the camera back in the tank bag if need to be. I just look over the camera and press da button. Many crooked shots but I'm watching the road and make sure I'm not pressed for space doing this.

Pine Island, Louisiana on LA 102. Just about all of the following pictures are in this area and one of my favorite roads to just roam. Not a lot of traffic and much farm land.

New rice is starting to spring up and was seeing a few field already flooding. Beautiful green carpet at time.

Then on the other side of the road, we have crawfish traps.

And more Crawfish farming on down the road.

All just roaming West on LA 102.

Grain bins for storing rice and a bit of equipment in the back yard of this farm.

And tools of the trade just down the road.

Which, Looks like this.

With old homes that I wish I could hear their stories. Now , left for Maw Nature to reclaim.

And here's what we are seeing more and more of down here in the country. My favorite type of home. Bet it has less chance of Foreclosure than the home behind it.

On the Intracoastal Canal , coming back from roaming about the water, I caught up with these people.

We waved at each other and I was going quite a bit faster than them even at 25 mph on my Boat GPS. I regret not pulling up along side of them and talking at bit. Shame on me. Just didn't think of it till later.

But, I did catch two fish in what is called down here , The West Pipeline Ditch. All this stuff off the intracoastal is off limits from Oct 15th to March 15th. Federal Game Reserve. You can fish in the open months but I don't think any hunting allowed.

First fish I caught which it put back in the water after taking the picture.

Then Mr. Catfish jumped on my Beetle Spin. He joined the other back in the ditch. I rarely ever keep a fish. Shortly after , I lost the Beetle Spin on some log under water and that was all I had. ;-) So, homeward bound.

More after the next ride.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #92
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Started a new project a few weeks ago. Attempting to put two wheels on every road in Jefferson Davis Parish that I can. Garmin has many roads showing that are just paths on private land or not even there.
Picture of Jeff Davis Parish

Deleted some track files not thinking that I may want to do a bit of a ride report so, needing to do some sections again. I generally do these for a few hours in the afternoons.
Kinda what it looks like when you start merging track files together on one map.

The bike of choice is my old '00 KLR which I bought in '99 , sold in '08, bought back in '11 and rebuilt it.

Saw that a new bridge is being put up on LA 14 over the Laccassine Bayou. A beautiful bayou with lots of mossy trees.

My favorite riding is these roads that run about the farm lands. Very little traffic. ;-)

These canals are still used in sections to flood the rice and crawfish fields. But most have went with underground irrigation and deepwell pumps.

And , many of the dead ends lead to gates or No Trespassing. But,. it's always neat to go till you have to turn around just to see what's there.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #93
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

February proved to be a pretty good flood month for our parish and area. Rain Rain Rain. The Regatta in Lake Arthur just did escape water getting to it at the highest mark but you needed boots to enter.

Many roads were flooded and closed to traffic as the water rose.

Was out and about the area after the waters started going down a bit. Come upon this large web covered area on a back road.

Not sure what was causing it though. I didn't see any little spiders about.

Come upon my favorite bridge crossing from Jeff Davis to Acadia Parish over Bayou Nezspicue . Water still flowing at a goodly rate.

The water had been high enough to float the bridge but didn't take it out. But, I'm sure it's going to be closed for quite awhile to all traffic now. They have moved in piles of dirt to block it.

But, the KLR and I did get across and continued on. If the DOT doesn't block it from ditch to ditch or use big concrete blocks, I can usually get the KLR across the blockades. Being solo 99% of the time and very little traffic on many of these roads keeps me very sane on doing this.

As of now, the water is still high but getting back to normal, crawfish season in full swing and going good.

achesley screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 04:23 AM
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #94
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

The Marti Gras Season. I was out and about taking street photos of the parades in Lake Arthur and Jennings. Posting a few so you can share the fun.

Till the next.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #95
AZchris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Love the pics of the roads along the gulf. This past summer I did a cross country trip and ended up staying with some people in Kaplan and when I left the next day I took highway 82 across to TX, what a great stretch of road. There was a great storm firing on all cylinders out in the gulf, but I was getting to ride in the sunshine and enjoy watching the lightning. It was a great day.
1979 Vespa--------Left her in South Africa, fun little bike.
1982 CX500-------Crashed, but great first bike
AZchris is offline   Reply With Quote