Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #151
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 430
Talking Thank you WIBO for taking us on an epic ride with EDC.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have a few questions regarding riding in Morocco.

As a Christmas present my girlfriend gave me the Michelin road map of Morocco (742).
Besides that I'm looking for a routable map for my GPS (garmin Zumo 660) - do you have any recommendations?

Do you have recommendations for places to stay with secure parking - I'll be riding solo so security is an issue for me, especially related to the prevention of theft.

Any heads up for a Morocco rookie on two wheels would be appreciated

Regards
Tonny
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #152
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Nice trip. Another one of the places I want to ride.

#does the guy one tiger 800 have a youtube channel or his videos anywhere else?

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #153
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddySump View Post
Nice trip. Another one of the places I want to ride.

#does the guy one tiger 800 have a youtube channel or his videos anywhere else?

HI..

If you look for Guilty Party on the forums you can PM him and see what he has?...... I know he's not afraid to take the Tiger out into the forests and muddy trails etc...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #154
MuddySump
Adventurer

ok thanks ill have a look

Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #155
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have a few questions regarding riding in Morocco.

As a Christmas present my girlfriend gave me the Michelin road map of Morocco (742).
Besides that I'm looking for a routable map for my GPS (garmin Zumo 660) - do you have any recommendations?

Do you have recommendations for places to stay with secure parking - I'll be riding solo so security is an issue for me, especially related to the prevention of theft.

Any heads up for a Morocco rookie on two wheels would be appreciated

Regards
Tonny
Hi Tonny and anyone else that may be interested in taking their first steps to Africa!

When do you plan on traveling and with what moto?

Depending on what moto you're riding and when,will depend on what type of riding you can do.... e.g. peak summertime on a big trailie in sand is not what I would advise at all

( e.g. I didn't take my XTZ660 into the dunes on my trip at all just because I couldn't be bothered digging it out or picking it up lol...Give me a Honda CRF450 and I can ride all day in the sand lol.)

The Michelin 742 map is good to have to show you where's where for sure. There's quite a lot of pistes and villages missing etc but it's worth having in case a GPS malfunctions. I had heard a rumour that Michelin are currently updating that map and a new one will be out in 2013...again it's only a rumour at present unless anyone else can state other wise. Having said that it'll be interesting to see if there are a lot of changes to same. The GPS will have main routes etc in it and will be like just having a map.

If you check here you'll get addition stuff. Once you get to Maroc you'll be able to ask at each fuel station how long it will take to get to A to B to give some sort of real time indication.

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

www.wikiloc.com will give you a whole list of pistes of which to download if you so desire.

In respect of getting to Maroc itself you can either take Tarifa to Tanger or Algeciras to Tanger Med..... You can buy your ticket at the ticket booths at the Spanish port by just turning up like one would do to wait for a bus.

When you board the boat you'll be directed to go straight to passport control. You can't miss it...there'll be a queue.

You'll be given a form to fill out with all the usual details,name address etc.so don't forget to bring a pen. There'll be a section asking where you'll be staying... I write Hotel Fes..Fes each time. When you hand your passport over the dude will stamp it with a serial number. This is now your 'registration number' as it were. When you disembark you'll arrive at customs. You will then fill out another form to get your moto into Maroc. The customs dudes will give your moto a cursory glance over if at all and hand you back a carbon copy of your moto entry. Keep this as this will enable you to get your moto back out when you come to leave....You'll also have to go to the police booth to show them your passport and for them to note your 'registration number' along with your details.

(The beauty about traveling there on a moto is the fact that they always wave you to the head of the queue and put you onto the boat first!!)

As I had been before they just entered my existing number on the computer,it flagged up as all OK and sent me on my way...20 mins only...On this trip the other first timers were 2 or 3 hours from memory.....

When you've been used to the EEC and the free movement you'll need to adjust to a good bit of organised chaos....IF you find yourself getting frustrated just think to yourself that this is Morocco and tomorrow it will only be a memory.

If you need insurance you can buy it at a booth on the way out .....not far from the main bus/train terminal.....if they try and make you pay for it in Euros(more attractive for them)tell them that it is for sale in the country of Morocco therefore you can pay in Dirhams....do locals pay in Euros???????..

....if they want Euros dander over to the police and report them for trying to scam you.....a tourist coming to Maroc for the first time is not getting a very good impression etc.

In the terminal you'll find a money distributor along with a cafe etc....you can get Dirhams here from your normal bank card...just make sure to inform your bank of your holiday dates so that it'll not flag up as 'stolen' thus allowing them to put a stop on it.

This time in the cafe when food was bought the dudes insisted they had no change.....I logically pointed out that I would pay for my food when they had change and that what were they doing running a business without a 'float' of change??..

I ate my food and when I returned they had miraculously found change. It was not much money but as a matter of principle I don't like getting fleeced so soon upon arrival!!!!....This I would stress is the kind of isolated incident that you get periodically....if a silly tourist is stupid enough to fall for it then they deserve it.....we all had to learn once!!!

When I go to Maroc I always allow a day to get through the port and to travel on to an hotel(the same for the return)

The real road trip starts the next day as it were!! I usually head for an hotel I know at Asilah prefering to keep away from the industrial and commercial port of Tanger...it's only a gate way to get where you need to be IMO. More village/small town hotels (auberges) will be easier to sleep in for your conscience ref.moto getting stolen.

This leads on to the subject of hotel check in.
When you arrive in most bigger towns there'll be a dude who'll approach you on a moped. Don't be alarmed..he's only scouting for the hotels and will guide you to any hotel at any budget you ask for.

When you arrive negotiate a price. Don't be afraid to offer 20 or 30 dirhamsIf favourable then you fill out a form with the same details that you filled out on the boat.
You might get annoyed of having to go through such a mundane a seemingly pointless exercise,but hey,it's Maroc. ( At the end of the day if something were to happen to you in the form of e.g.an accident the police can trace your last whereabouts)

Each hotel in the more built up areas,if no off street parking is available, will have a night watch man who,for about 4 or 5 euros will watch over any vehicles. On that,the last time I was in Fès I stayed in a riad about 200 metres from where I was only able to park in the street. No problem with anything getting stolen.....you just have to take off what you would in Europe.
These dudes will have a gillet on and usually have a baseball bat in the town centres to act as a deterrent to others. It works for us tourists brilliantly.

I never even brought my U lock.

As a guide a disc loaf of bread there is about €0.20 so if you think that giving 'only' €3.00 to the guardian is a lot it's not really...especially when other hotel patrons are doing the same...It's quite a money earner for any local person employed by the hotel or sitting in the street.

I have to log off now...but if you can think of anything else you might need clarified just ask.

:)

Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #156
oliwoof
Pyrenees - paradise

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for taking the time and trouble writing this report.I was proud to be part of it and was the most challenging and best time I have spent on a bike and I've been riding (legally) 37 years.
For me the off road stuff was the greatest, you, Christophe, Ricky and Craig made it look so easy, obviously Noah as well but he had the better tool for the job anyway. I for one want to repeat the trip next year.
For those going on pretend trail bikes like my 955 Tiger or even proper trail bikes and going off route for any amount of time I can recommend putting on some decent tyres, not the Tourances like I had! Another thing I would do next time is take a camel-pak or something similar because although you might have plenty of water on the bike there is nothing like having it available all the time without stopping. Washing powder is also a good idea plus a plug for the sink would make it easier for washing your clothes, and make sure everything you take will dry overnight, they don't half stink when put away damp for a day or two! Lastly I will take less stuff and try to travel light. All the aforementioned things I think you advised on but I didn't listen well enough!
oliwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #157
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

I did advise not to wash your stockings with your g-strings...that's why the clothes end up smelly....I usually wash my thongs all at once and stockings the next day...

As Super Hunky used tp say "You really should've known"

:)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #158
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwoof View Post
Thanks for taking the time and trouble writing this report.I was proud to be part of it and was the most challenging and best time I have spent on a bike and I've been riding (legally) 37 years.
For me the off road stuff was the greatest, you, Christophe, Ricky and Craig made it look so easy, obviously Noah as well but he had the better tool for the job anyway. I for one want to repeat the trip next year.
For those going on pretend trail bikes like my 955 Tiger or even proper trail bikes and going off route for any amount of time I can recommend putting on some decent tyres, not the Tourances like I had! Another thing I would do next time is take a camel-pak or something similar because although you might have plenty of water on the bike there is nothing like having it available all the time without stopping. Washing powder is also a good idea plus a plug for the sink would make it easier for washing your clothes, and make sure everything you take will dry overnight, they don't half stink when put away damp for a day or two! Lastly I will take less stuff and try to travel light. All the aforementioned things I think you advised on but I didn't listen well enough!
No GPS on your list of things needed for going into the desert?

Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #159
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

D'oh!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #160
MuddySump
Adventurer

Just finished reading, good report, well done on the trip.

Got sidetracked to Noahs thread halfway through and read all of that too

Nice to see the trip done on bigger bikes, and especially one that i own

Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #161
Don T
Bike Addict

Thumb Thanks for the info.

I'll visit Morocco in late April on my V-Strom.
As I ride alone on a pig and only have about 4-5 days to spend in Morocco, I plan to stick to the roads (tarmac and graded gravel).
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #162
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

The moto will be just fine for hard pack and gravel and the weather there will not be too hot. A good piste to do would be from Ouarzazate to Zagora,where the Suzook would cope OK with the going. There's no deep sand and it's all 'stone lanes'.

Buy a 'camel bak' type water back pack...(I use the €25 ones you can buy in Decathlon on my enduro moto) My 'Adventure' jacket has one integrated . Drink whilst on the move and you'll never get thirsty.

The reason I head south is for the weather and the pistes,but you'll find,with only 5 days there that you might only get as far as e.g. Ouarzazate.(which is suffice for your timeframe)

If you check www.viamichelin.com and click on Directions you'll find it will be able work out distances and times from larger towns within Maroc. This should assist you to work out some sort of a rough game plan .

Also if you have a look at this.....it will give you information on each town in Maroc.

http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm

WIBO screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 09:20 AM
Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #163
Don T
Bike Addict

Thank you once again.

Ouarzazate to Zagora is noted.

I already have a Kriega camel bak that I use for enduro/rally riding on my Yamaha.

LookLex is a cool site - thanks for the link.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #164
oliwoof
Pyrenees - paradise

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
No GPS on your list of things needed for going into the desert?

No, next time I'm never going to be out of sight of that man in front with all the electronic gizmos!
oliwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #165
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwoof View Post
No, next time I'm never going to be out of sight of that man in front with all the electronic gizmos!
I am a firm believer that everyone needs to be self sufficient. Going into the desert is like going out in the mountains snowmobiling. Lots of exposure. Its very easy to get separated from the group and every person should have at least the following:
First aid, GPS, Map, compass, food and water for 2 days, tools to fix your bike and spares.
I carry these on every ride whether its on a snowmobile or a moto. Anything less can get you in trouble fast.
You never know when you will need to spend the night somewhere and relying on other people is just something I won't do.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote