Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
cam fixed in a lathe and a gauge on the saddle (don't know if it's the right expression.
"Support" in german)
same as what we call the 'carriage'

looking for a taper across the face of the lobe, reference parallel to the axis of the cam shaft. yes?

Renner screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 10:03 AM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
RGregor OP
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
same as what we call the 'carriage'

looking for a taper across the face of the lobe, reference parallel to the axis of the cam shaft. yes?
Thanks for the wording.
Very often I'm not sure if I really express what I want to ...

Looking from the side the lobe should not look like a rectangle but, the top face is under a small angle relative to the centerline.
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,039
My BMW 336 that I got around ten years ago is marked pretty much like the one in the photo above. It has lobes that are a little higher on one side just like a 308 that I have on my desk. I measured them with a caliper.

Is that the 'yellow' bag the 'Chinese' cams come in? I have seen parts bags like that for decades. I am still hoping Moorespeed's experience was a fluke. One thing I do know for sure is that I have seen other parts sold by BMWAG more recently that are crap but, so far, just about everything Moorespeed has said about the 336 newly produced or otherwise sounded like he made it up to me based on my experience with them and other inmates experience with them as well. Can't see why you would want to run one? If I had found that they make less power than a 308 under 6000 rpm I wouldn't want to run one either but that isn't even close to what I have experienced. Quite the opposite actually! My experience with them is more like pj's, mattcfish's, robtg's, and Dr. Curve's, for instance. I am here trying to make sense out of a story that so far makes little sense to me even though it is getting quite a life of its own but that isn't the first time I have seen that happen.

It's great that you bought one to see what is actually going on. The last one I bought was about four years ago! I put it in a R90 with some Dell's and high CR pistons. Just a month a ago that guy told me yet again that he LOVES the setup.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 208
scrap?

Dumb question, what do you mean by "scrap"?
The yellow bag cams are defective...how? Bad hardening?

I've got a used 336 in my /6. Love the performance, but not sure how old it is, or from what batch.
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
RGregor OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
My BMW 336 that I got around ten years ago is marked pretty much like the one in the photo above.
Does it have the butterfly symbol?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
RGregor OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcfish View Post
Dumb question, what do you mean by "scrap"?
The yellow bag cams are defective...how? Bad hardening?
According to MS the lobes of the right hand cylinders are ground without taper.
Read the original thread (link in the first post).
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
Does it have the butterfly symbol?
yes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #23
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Given that Moorespeed does this for a living, his reputation is very important to the long term success of his business, this is why his is unlikely to risk his rep by making claims that cannot be supported. In the Internet world, reputations can be easily shredded
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #24
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
I'm probably showing my ignoroance of cam design here but since the cam followers are off set from the centre of the cams wouldn't the followers spin anyway? I'm not sure why you'd need a taper on the cam face. I've just had a look on three used cams I have laying about and all three have a larger worn contact area marked on the exhaust valves than the inlets but all four lobes on all of them have wear marks supporting the cam followers spinning.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #25
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Given that Moorespeed does this for a living, his reputation is very important to the long term success of his business, this is why his is unlikely to risk his rep by making claims that cannot be supported. In the Internet world, reputations can be easily shredded
I trust Richie completely, we've had many long conversations on the phone as well as him carrying out head work for me. The quality of his work is superb.On top of that, out of all the tuners available to them, BMW choose Richie to tune their airhead powered race car, that says a lot on it's own.

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 09:12 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
moorespeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thanks Rob, the follower will only spin if the cam has an angle on it and the follower has a big radius approx half a meter to one meter. then they will spin and you can see that with the ware pattern over the lobe, it is sort of S shaped. as for S/S and me making it up, when he has a little more knowlege on cams, and remember he has no idea what compression ratio he is runing,always a sign of a good engine builder, and he can find over 120 hp out of an airhead I will have a debate with him, up until that point I sugest he crawls back under his stone.
moorespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
I sure wish all the personal attacks and name calling would stop
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
I've been reading this thread as my R90 racebike has a copy of the 336 cam made by a local reputable cam company.
It goes well for a bike with a motor that cost $250 that although has been pulled apart, new rings/bearings fitted, guides relined and a few minor mods is still running the original 1973 pistons and valves..... had a good season on it, 20 odd races and only one DNF.
I don't know what power it turns out or what the compression ratio is .....hey SS is there any room under your rock.....

I did a build thread on it ..... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790873
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
i sure wish all the personal attacks and name calling would stop
+1!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #30
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
This is what started it. "just about everything Moorespeed has said about the 336 newly produced or otherwise sounded like he made it up to me based on my experience with them and other inmates experience with them as well. Can't see why .........
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote