Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #676
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
I've ridden an RC8 and it was one of the hardest pulling bikes I've ever ridden - silly power.
Swing by Deal's Gap and I'll arrange for dad to bring over one of his track big bang R1's. The last time it was dyno'd it pulled in the 170's and the way Team Velocity Racing had it setup it topped out at 198 mph. Makes my RC8 look like a kiddie bike.

Back on topic, what are your plans for the other engine? Using my unbelievably amazing lawyerly analytical skills, I see you have one bike but two engines. Why do I get the feeling there's going to be a SE in the picture? Adventure and the street wheels for road duty, SE and knobbies for fun time in the dirt? Or you planning on having an East coast and West coast Adventure?

I bet you're going to leave the Adventure as it is and put the bored/stroked engine in the SE, that way you can have more torque but be able to lug it more for the dirt and mud.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #677
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Swing by Deal's Gap and I'll arrange for dad to bring over one of his track big bang R1's. The last time it was dyno'd it pulled in the 170's and the way Team Velocity Racing had it setup it topped out at 198 mph. Makes my RC8 look like a kiddie bike.

Back on topic, what are your plans for the other engine? Using my unbelievably amazing lawyerly analytical skills, I see you have one bike but two engines. Why do I get the feeling there's going to be a SE in the picture? Adventure and the street wheels for road duty, SE and knobbies for fun time in the dirt? Or you planning on having an East coast and West coast Adventure?

I bet you're going to leave the Adventure as it is and put the bored/stroked engine in the SE, that way you can have more torque but be able to lug it more for the dirt and mud.
I don't have any plans or desire to rebuild the old one. It was a 2004 and I had the same problem that Flanny was having with hemorrhaging base gaskets before the cam chain went. The metal of the cases typically corroded so the answer was to replace the cases - not worth the trouble on an engine with 70,000 miles. I'll pull the cams and then use it as a spare parts holder - when I need a clutch plate, 5mm bolt, rotor, etc. I'l know where to find it. Did think about building a go kart for my kid briefly but then came to my senses. I like him. Kinda want to keep him around.

I do need a bike for the city and for when I'm back in NYC but the 990 was just made for Oregon so it has to go back. Gino and I might try to do Alaska next summer.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #678
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Today was my last free day in NY until January and while I was hoping we might get the carbs finished Chris had pressing jobs to do so he couldn't devote the time. He says they should be done by the time I get back the first week of January. That should be cold enough to test them.

In other news our offer on a house was accepted and we'll close on the 14th of January provided everything goes well. It's been a long time waiting for my own garage and while I'm not looking forward to moving all this junk I am looking forward to having it all next door. It will be a real revelation to not have to commute an hour to change my oil or work on my bike. I sure will miss the dyno though. I was thinking it might be nice to find a group of people that would be willing to split one in Portland. They're not too crazy and split 5-6 ways it could work. Something to consider.

Anyway, I did manage to get a few hours at the shop to explore some cosmetic stuff. I wanted to start exploring the pinstripe idea a little so I found some red striping tape (no orange) and tried two different ideas. Not really sold on it yet.

Right side:

and the Left side:

I'm liking the left better but it's not quite there. I've also toyed with the idea of doing an orange topo map wavy line graphic as well. I'll think on it.

Also, just for fun and to piss off Gino I got my 41 FCR dyno chart overlayed on Gino's 990R. It's pretty amazing how solid the gain and pull is in the meat of the curve. It's about 8-9ft/lbs and the same in hp all through the middle. I'll take that!

I'm not sure how long Cometic will take to get us an answer on the gaskets but with the holidays it probably won't be too soon. If anything happens I'll update you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Gregor
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #679
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Fecking A Gregor. Merry Christmas to you and yours
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #680
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Such an inspiring project. Thanks for documenting it! Congrats on the PDX house too... Great news!

VertigoCycles screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 08:58 PM Reason: fucking iphone
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #681
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Thanks Sean!

I won't have a Deckel party but I do think ill have my welding table Blanchard ground to become a fab table so that will be my excuse for a shop warming party. This spring probably. You will be invited of course and we will talk about your 990's (upcoming) custom titanium exhaust.

Thanks Happygolucky!

Gregor
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #682
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,550
Hey G - enjoy the moving. Its the one job that prevents me from changing locations...not that I really want too..

On the overlays I see the lines crossed over at @ 8700 rpm. Any idea as to why?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #683
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Bitchen dude.

Mad Props.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #684
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 204
La maison

Congrats on the house (and shop) Gregor. Personally - not a fan of the pinstripe idea. I like the idea of the topo map lines - or, take a line drawing of a citi-scape or recognizable "adventure" horizon. Merry Christmas to you and yours out on the West Coast.
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #685
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Pinstriping thoughts...

I'm loving the thread, not so much the pinstriping, but it is your call.

Idea: These bikes already have an "interesting" profile, and I'd try for something that pulls the whole thing together a little rather than segmenting it even more. What if you tried the topo map idea straight through the lower section where the c/f tank guards are located. Sort of a lower beltline area. I think it would "lengthen" the look of the bike rather than make it appear taller, and perhaps in charcoal with a little orange vs. all orange. Kind of a "ghosting" look.

Just a thought, sweet bike all day long!

zgfiredude screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 01:02 PM
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #686
sakurama OP
on an endless build

I agree with both of you guys - the pinstripes aren't really working... yet. Peter has a vinyl cutter so I might tap him to do some ideas and I'll try the topo idea the next time I'm back in a week or so. Not sure of what more there is to do as we wait on the gasket question so I'll see if we can finish the choke next week.

Gregor
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #687
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Is it next week yet? Class starts Wednesday so I'm going to need something to read in class.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #688
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Are you ready for stage 2
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #689
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,550
Stage 2??? I'm still coming to grips with stage 1...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #690
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Stage 2??? I'm still coming to grips with stage 1...

Stage two is going to blow your mind (what there is of it)
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote