Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,201
Just curious, does anyone know roughly what a modern excel rim weighs compared to a 80s Akront rim?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Interesting info. From where did the weights come?

HP2 has an air shock, that's why it's so light. R11GS, you have to remember that the shock contributes less to the unsprung weight than the others do due to its location.

The Akront rear rims actually aren't that heavy. I was very surprised. The hub is heavy. I have not disassembled a front so I don't have experience there, but I do have a G/S front hub lying around that I could weigh.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Interesting info. From where did the weights come?
Parts fiche.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
After studying Prutsers bike which he says is 188kg with a tank a ( 19l ) of fuel, I want one like that.
Take away the fuel it makes it 175kg ready to go with empty tank. Thats only 10 kgs heavier than my DR650 and the C.O.G would be lower on the Airhead.

So, can an R80GS be stripped of enough weight to make it the same. In theory the engine and main frame should weigh the same.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

GS fairing/ speedo etc 8.7kg. (weighed)
Collecter box 3.6 kg
standard muffler 3.7kg
staintune muffler 3.4kg
crash bars 1.3kg (pair)

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 05:50 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
After studying Prutsers bike which he says is 188kg with a tank a ( 19l ) of fuel, I want one like that.
Take away the fuel it makes it 175kg ready to go with empty tank. Thats only 10 kgs heavier than my DR650 and the C.O.G would be lower on the Airhead.

So, can an R80GS be stripped of enough weight to make it the same. In theory the engine and main frame should weigh the same.
But I guess you are going to use it 2up ? Than the subframe should be stronger than mine.
Must admit I think I weight it without the bashplate.
My front wheel is a lot lighter than stock. ( am using a G650X wheel)

The R100gs i had before was 185 stripped. So it must be possible.
Didn't measure that my self !

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 03:14 PM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,437
Now I know pretty much stuff all about these things, but I am pretty sure Manuel does. I've seen what he did to make his bike lighter.

Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
But I guess you are going to use it 2up ? Than the subframe should be stronger than mine.
Must admit I think I weight it without the bashplate.
My front wheel is a lot lighter than stock. ( am using a G650X wheel)

Yes it would be a 2up bike.
The subrame can be braced with one straight tube from the footpeg end to the rear, either welded or bolt on and coule incorporate the pannier frame rails. For the GS a R80 basic subframe would proably be the best start point.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
FWIW I think my '88 is 44x pounds without fuel. That's about 40 pounds more than your cited weight. That's with a PC545 battery and no oil cooler. Still has crash bars, stock everything else including exhaust.

What was stripped?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
FWIW I think my '88 is 44x pounds without fuel. That's about 40 pounds more than your cited weight. That's with a PC545 battery and no oil cooler. Still has crash bars, stock everything else including exhaust.

What was stripped?
Hi Anton. 440 pounds is 200kg. Mine is a 92 so has the big fairing. I think it was 209 with a very small amount of gas. Staintune muffler, GS1150 battery. stock most other things. Extra couple of kilos with rear disc.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, here is where I think some weight can be cut
Fairing/ headlight/ instrument panel 7kg
crash bars 1.5kg
front wheel 4.5kg
side stand 0.75kg
muffler 3kg
subframe 1kg
centre stand 1kg
swingarm/final drive 2kg
forks/triple clamps 1kg
front brake caliper 0.5kg

Total 22.25kg

That still puts the weight with no fuel around 187kg
Not sure where another 12kg could be found. Hmmmm !
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

You could try and lose some of the metal bits off the engine. Replace the front cover with carbon fibre. Maybe the same with the airbox and starter lid. Maybe there are lighter starters available. The indicators can be replaced with something lighter. It just starts to get a bit expensive and time consuming, after the obvious stuff. Take the tools out, they can go in the luggage. Fit lighter mirrors. I don't know if there is much of a difference in shock weights. Batteries are heavy as well, Handlebars, could be another one. I am sure some are lighter than others.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
You could try and lose some of the metal bits off the engine. Replace the front cover with carbon fibre. Maybe the same with the airbox and starter lid. Maybe there are lighter starters available. The indicators can be replaced with something lighter. It just starts to get a bit expensive and time consuming, after the obvious stuff. Take the tools out, they can go in the luggage. Fit lighter mirrors. I don't know if there is much of a difference in shock weights. Batteries are heavy as well, Handlebars, could be another one. I am sure some are lighter than others.
Yea could get tricky. I already have WR indicators which are pretty light and alloy bars. I took a mirror off, havent weighed it yet but it felt pretty light. I havent weighed the battery yet. I may be able to save a little yet on a smaller one. I dont think the Shorai batteries are quite up to the task yet. I have a Valeo starter, i read somewhere just recently that the Bosch starter is heavier and the Nippon Denso is lighter.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post

I don't think it needs to be necesarily that expensive . I have dropped as much crap off mine as I could & I'm as tight as a tight thing. Getting rid of the ridiculous BMW wiring, relays, lites, speedos etc is a great start. Got a real small motobatt. I dropped about 30kgs replacing the stock collector& muffler with phils cast off Y pipe & a Ti pipe
I couldn't believe the difference in weight between my DRZ & GS wheels either - WOW.

if I get another attck of motivation I would look at replace the subframe with something smaller but then you lose the luggage compatibility. I wonder if you could lighten the driveshaft without any detrimental effect.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #30
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I have dropped as much crap off mine as I could & I'm as tight as a tight thing.
I wish I could do that, too, but Basil is just a little bit special, so I don't want take too much off. Maybe if I win the lotto I can send him to Edelweiss Motorsport for a bit of R&R, but really, I am happy with the way he is now.

It will be interesting what Phil comes up with. I am glad he has rekindled his relationship with his airhead.