Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #16876
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
...or the trunk of a car, or the hood for that matter.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #16877
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I just want to thank my good buddy Dave, EOD3MC, who helped me get the bike back together and test the new suspension. Thanks Dave!!! The good news is because he helped me, the DRZ bug bit him and he now is the proud owner of a DRZ as well.

Merry Christmas!
The Good News?? That's twice you've gotten me to get another bike after riding one of yours....

I'm running out of garage space....
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #16878
Lindy Hopper
Need more cowbells?

Oddometer: 114
Since most of y'all probably have a DRZ I thought I'd let you know I'm parting out my DRZ. If you're looking for something read this thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851108
Lindy Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #16879
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 992
Tools to carry.

Hi Guys,
I'm off with 5 mates on a 5 day ride through the Australian alps. We are staying at pubs at night so don't need sleeping or cooking gear but wondering what tools i need to take. I have a fender bag, Wolfman sack on the rear rack and maybe a backpack.

It's an "E".
Cheers,
Andrew

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #16880
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm off with 5 mates on a 5 day ride through the Australian alps. We are staying at pubs at night so don't need sleeping or cooking gear but wondering what tools i need to take. I have a fender bag, Wolfman sack on the rear rack and maybe a backpack.

It's an "E".
Cheers,
Andrew
This is most of my kit. I did post it on the other DRZ400 thread, but couldn't find it.

Plus tubes, pump, nut & bolt assortment, short length chain + joining links (I've never needed it on the DRZ though.) short length of electrical wire, fuses to suit your set-up. Torch. A few Rags. Some riders carry a folding wood saw.

As a general guide for setting up uour kit- if you use it to prepare the bike, take it.
Apart from the head stem, front spocket and swingarm nuts, I can pull my bike apart with my kit.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #16881
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use View Post
Hi Guys,

It's an "E".
Cheers,
Andrew

I agree, use the tools you need to do maintenance on your bike, tire change, and so on and those are the ones to carry. As in the kit above it's not really a lot, just the basics.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #16882
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
This is most of my kit. I did post it on the other DRZ400 thread, but couldn't find it.

Plus tubes, pump, nut & bolt assortment, short length chain + joining links (I've never needed it on the DRZ though.) short length of electrical wire, fuses to suit your set-up. Torch. A few Rags. Some riders carry a folding wood saw.

As a general guide for setting up uour kit- if you use it to prepare the bike, take it.
Apart from the head stem, front spocket and swingarm nuts, I can pull my bike apart with my kit.
Mines pretty close to that, add a leatherman and a tube valve remover, cable ties and tape

What's the copper thing with the wire, a 12v power tester ?, a 12v torch ?,

Spares
Add a spare tube, some chain links and joiner, pump, a couple of spare fuses, a couple of pool filter skimmer soxs to cover air filter if its dusty, discard them and fit a new one each day.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #16883
Rwelch360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Santa was good!

Santa was good to me and my DRZ. Tonn's skid plate!!! Woohoo
Also some Dual Sport riding DVDs. Going to get my practice on!

Hope you all had a merry christmas as well.
Rwelch360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #16884
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwelch360 View Post
Santa was good to me and my DRZ. Tonn's skid plate!!! Woohoo
Also some Dual Sport riding DVDs. Going to get my practice on!

Hope you all had a merry christmas as well.
Because i refuse to sit in Santa's lap i only got this for now: 48t alum.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #16885
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
Mines pretty close to that, add a leatherman and a tube valve remover, cable ties and tape

What's the copper thing with the wire, a 12v power tester ?, a 12v torch ?,

Spares
Add a spare tube, some chain links and joiner, pump, a couple of spare fuses, a couple of pool filter skimmer soxs to cover air filter if its dusty, discard them and fit a new one each day.
12v test light.

How remiss of me not to mention cable ties & tape. I keep a handful of ties secured to my handlebars- easy to access (really handy doing the Safari)

Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #16886
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 992
Updated my tools

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #16887
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Nice, lets see some pics.

Sorry, been busy and wanted to get a "proper picture" but this is all I got for now.

Header pipe is from an E

Spark arester in place, I uncapped it for the Shriners Toy Run, it was obnoxiously loud

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #16888
dag6572
n00b

Oddometer: 1
DRZ DEAD! Can it be brough back?

I was out riding the other day and killed my bike. I had just changed my oil so I wanted to get back on it and ride around for a little bit. I was riding on trails and had got pretty far from the house when it just cut off on me. I tried to engine start it and couldn't. When I came to a stop... I hit the start button and she fired right up. I should've headed for home right then but I was somewhere I hadn't been before so I wanted to keep riding. I rode for another 10-15 with no problems... well the temperature did get up to about 250-260 a few times when I had to go slow... so I thought the problem was a fluke. Then it cut off on me again. tried to engine start again and it didn't. As soon as I was stopped it fired right up. The battery was struggling to restart the bike but would eventually get enough juice there to turn it over. Now I am heading for home and the bike is fading fast. It is cutting off more and more frequently, until eventually it dies for good. The weird thing is now when I try to crank it... the battery turns the starter fine... faster and healthier than I have ever heard.

Here is what I have done for trouble shooting.

I had the battery checked at an auto parts store and it checked out good.

I got a new spark plug because the old one was giving me a yellowish orange spark.

I even sprayed starting fluid in the spark plug hole and nothing.

I had planned on checking the valve clearances after the last ride since I bought the bike from another guy, who traded it for something else, ect.

When I opened the magnesium cover... found the exhaust cam retention cover had cracked in half in two places right around the cap screws.

I am wondering what could have happened to cause this failure and what, if anything, can be done to get this bike back on the trails.

Also, I see some great pics in these post but the only icon I have to post pics wants a URL. I have pictures of what I am trying to explain that could help.

Thanks.
dag6572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #16889
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag6572 View Post
I was out riding the other day and killed my bike. I had just changed my oil so I wanted to get back on it and ride around for a little bit. I was riding on trails and had got pretty far from the house when it just cut off on me. I tried to engine start it and couldn't. When I came to a stop... I hit the start button and she fired right up. I should've headed for home right then but I was somewhere I hadn't been before so I wanted to keep riding. I rode for another 10-15 with no problems... well the temperature did get up to about 250-260 a few times when I had to go slow... so I thought the problem was a fluke. Then it cut off on me again. tried to engine start again and it didn't. As soon as I was stopped it fired right up. The battery was struggling to restart the bike but would eventually get enough juice there to turn it over. Now I am heading for home and the bike is fading fast. It is cutting off more and more frequently, until eventually it dies for good. The weird thing is now when I try to crank it... the battery turns the starter fine... faster and healthier than I have ever heard.

Here is what I have done for trouble shooting.

I had the battery checked at an auto parts store and it checked out good.

I got a new spark plug because the old one was giving me a yellowish orange spark.

I even sprayed starting fluid in the spark plug hole and nothing.

I had planned on checking the valve clearances after the last ride since I bought the bike from another guy, who traded it for something else, ect.

When I opened the magnesium cover... found the exhaust cam retention cover had cracked in half in two places right around the cap screws.

I am wondering what could have happened to cause this failure and what, if anything, can be done to get this bike back on the trails.

Also, I see some great pics in these post but the only icon I have to post pics wants a URL. I have pictures of what I am trying to explain that could help.

Thanks.
My first thing would have been checking the oil & water.

If your cam retainer has loosened off (cracked) has it been enough to adjust your timing= piston and valves met?

Try a compression test. You may find that it's turning over quickly because there is no compression.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #16890
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,490
Filter socks

My swimming pool skimmer box filter sock for the DRZ multi day rides. Throw it away at night and fit a new one over the twin air filter. Trick is to make sure it's nice and flat and not creased on filter sealing side and oil it up for good seal. 5 for 6 bucks, worth there weight in gold, I'm even thinking of cable tieing one over the 3 x 3 box opening to stop so much dust getting into the air box.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 04:35 AM
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote