Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #16
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
I don't know about camping in the Blackforest as I haven't done it, but there are camp sites across Germany. A Gasthaus with plenty of beer and wine is easy.

Check this site out for places to stay in Europe, many of whom cater to bikes and provide covered parking: http://www.tourenfahrer-hotels.de/

We stayed here in the Blackforest-garage for bikes, great food and plenty of beer:
Hotel Lawine
Fahl 7
79674 Todtnau
Doris Wasmer-Mink
Deutschland
Tel: 049-07676/93330
Fax: 07676/933319
www.lawine.de (click on “zimmeranfrage” and then click on the British flag for english)
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I finally made it to Nurburgring in my 911 a couple months ago. Of course it was overcast and foggy. Made two trips around. The terrain elevation changes were more than I was expecting. Great time.
Yes - somewhere around 1,000 feet of elevation change, IIRC. On my first lat in 2009, I was completely lost (or as lost as one can be on a closed course) and had no idea of where I was or what was coming next. Fun, but less than satisfying.

Skip forward to November, 2010 and GT5 comes out with the Nordschliefe as one of its tracks.

Many laps later, I find myself back at the track on "Old Faithful" - my 83K mile+ '93 GSX1100G in July of 2011.

MUCH better - I actually had a pretty good idea of what was coming up next and could enjoy the ride this time as I knew when I could open the throttle and when I'd better not

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Well,there are some good campsites in blackforest,but i do not know any recommendation as.

Watch here: http://www.schwarzwald-geniessen.de/...show.php?id=13

And a nice hotel here in the northern bf. is this: http://www.bikerhotel.de/

MikJ

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Ecki66
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hallo Phil,

you can vistit http://www.fraenkische-schweiz.com/bilderbogen/en.html

and the known meeting place for for motorcycles Kathi Brau near Aufseß

Greetings from Upper Franconia
Ecki66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Jep, thats very good. Send all the Strangers to the Schwarzwald. So I can enjoy the Eifel and the Ardennes for my own pleasure. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #21
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
...So I can enjoy the Eifel and the Ardennes for my own pleasure. . .
Last year, the Nurburgring area was booked solid - what with races and touristenfahrten - so I got a room at Spangdahlem AB (advantage of being Retired US Military) about 60 Kms away. Gorgeous riding! I also took a side trip to Bastogne, and could have cheerfully spent a week just riding around.

Great roads, superb scenery and almost no traffic.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Last year, the Nurburgring area was booked solid - what with races and touristenfahrten - so I got a room at Spangdahlem AB (advantage of being Retired US Military) about 60 Kms away. Gorgeous riding! I also took a side trip to Bastogne, and could have cheerfully spent a week just riding around.

Great roads, superb scenery and almost no traffic.
Uhhh, touristenfahrten are open to the public days...
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
motorradrudi
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
Hi Phil,

the blackforest - as said before!

And if you are looking for good trips there look here:
Südschwarzwald
Nordschwarzwald
Hoehepunkte des Südschwarzwaldes

Greets from Germany
rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #24
Andidry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I passed by Neuschwanstein in late august this year and it was covered in scaffolding , not great for pics :-(, if you're heading down that way its not too far to Hitlers eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Stunning area for bikes.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #25
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Uhhh, touristenfahrten are open to the public days...
??

There were races being held on the GP course, and Touristenfahrten on the Nordschliefe. Between the two of them, the general area around Nurburg / Adenau was booked solid. Booking into Spangdahlem AB was the path of least resistance.

Cheap, too
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
IF you are into beer - try Andechs, nice monastery with beerhall just as the beerhall in Tegernsee. There's plenty of little breweries which brew some nice stuff. If you need more locations. let me know.
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
If I had 1 week to spend in Germany and wanted to see castles, drink beer and stay in inexpensive hotels this is how I would work it.(I was in the Army I did enough camping to last a lifetime)
I would stay at the Ibis budget in Mainz, Hechtheim or in Wiesbaden about 40 euros for dbl occupancy (Clean and cheap) http://ibisbudgethotel.ibis.com/gb/home/index.shtml
I would ride up and down the Rhein river the castles basically start at Bingen on the south side take route 9 to Koblenz about 50 miles to the north. There are about 6 decent castles along the way and dozens of little towns that have good food and drink. Once you get to Koblenz you go across the bridge and head south on route 42 again 6 or more decent castles until you reach Ruedesheim. You can spend an easy 2 days around this area walk up to the castles. Visit some ancient churches. Drink wine and beer and eat like a pig. The town of Sankt Goar is a cool little tourist trap at the KooKoo clock go to the castle on the top of the hill drink wine on the terrace overlooking the Rhein across the river is Lorelei. Home to the worlds best rock concerts and the sirens that drove sailors to the rocks. There is a cool castle in the middle of the river that looks like a ship too. Oh and best of all take the tour of the Asbach Uralt distillery in Ruedesheim. Their brandy is the shiz! Took my wife on our first date there, then on the gondolas.
You can ride on the 3rd dayto Bernkastel Kues and all of the castle towns of the river Mosel. Route 53 runs all along this river and ends up near Trier. The castles aren't as impressive but still good. In Trier there are 2000 year old + Roman ruins and an awesome old cathedral. Good food and drink as well. On the way back from Trier I would take Autobahn 1 to Autobahn 62. Exit A62 at B41 the Baumholder/Idar-Oberstein exit. Idar Oberstein is a must see with it's castles above the city as well as the church in the rock. Stop in the pub that is below the church in the rock and get a drink at least. They have the entire story painted on the walls of the pub. If you are into rocks or gems this town has a boat load of it. It is famous for its minerals and precious stones. Note this trip might take 2 days if you start to find stuff you like.
I would then ride down to Strassbourg, France enjoying the back roads and avoiding the Autobahns. there are some really nice little places to eat just follow the truckers. Just south of Strassbourg is castle Haut Konigsburg. I like it.
http://www.strasbourg.info/haut-koenigsbourg-castle/
There are many inexpensive hotels between this castle and the next major town south Colmar. In colmar there is also a Ibis budget or Etap. Colmar has some nice inexpensive places to eat as well. The black forest city of Freiburg is a stone's throw away to the east. The following day ride through Freiburg on your way to Munich stopping at Neuschwanstein along the way. The back roads through the black forest and bavaria are awesome. There are some more Ibis budgets all around the outskirts of Munich. the last bit of time in Germany I would go to the sites in downtown Munich. I always make a stop at the Nordsee. It is the only chain food joint I eat at. Their lachs sandwiches are like heroin to me.
Again these are places I would go. One other place I would stop at is Strassbourg to see the EU Bldg and also there is a Notre Dame there. Not really into churches but it is amazing. I would also time permitting spend a day at EuropaPark and test the batteries in my defibulator. Mercedes has a kick butt roller coaster there. It is in the town of Rust, Germany not far from Strassbourg.

If you want good food and are low on cash look for Donner Kebab. These little gyro houses have great food and great prices. Most make good pizza too. They cook everything fresh too. All else fails look for Aldi these are excellent grocery stores. They only take EU credit cards and cash. Their generic brand foods are very good and dirt cheap.

Good luck to you. I am taking a few ADVriders from Phoenix there the first week of May. -Paul
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #28
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
MOST important thing ignore the post above you want gyros NOT donner, gyros is fantastic its real meat layered and and then grilled, donner is minced (crap) pressed together and is rubbish.

Right then that out of the way, have a look at lake constance and go to the Zepplin musem at Fredrichshafen.
Heidelberg Castle is worth a look
Bitche in the Alsace is a fantastic citadel
Niedereschach is the HQ of Touratech and worth a vist
There is a small motorcycle muesum in Oberwolfach
The B500 is the senic road to ride, but if you get off the main road then any of the small ones are very good
Schonau is a nice town for a visit,
you wont find many ibis in the black forest however almost every village will have a pub/guesthouse and they are normally very good value, we didnt book anything in advance.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Actually Bowser is talking out of his arse about the Donner and Gyro meat. The main difference between and Donner and a Gyro is that Donner it is very likely Halel. Which means that the meat was inspected at some point to ensure it wasn't made from unholy animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_%28food%29

Gyros can be made from many more types of "meat". Growing up I always ate Kosher so I don't consider pork to be food.

Not that any of this matters at all. the main thing is that you have a nice trip and eat food you like.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Actually Bowser is talking out of his arse about the Donner and Gyro meat. The main difference between and Donner and a Gyro is that Donner it is very likely Halel. Which means that the meat was inspected at some point to ensure it wasn't made from unholy animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_%28food%29

Gyros can be made from many more types of "meat". Growing up I always ate Kosher so I don't consider pork to be food.

Not that any of this matters at all. the main thing is that you have a nice trip and eat food you like.

there you go a man from the other side of the world with no idea at all, what he is talking about
Gyros is a term used all over the place and means different things in different places same with donner, IN GERMANY in particular, donner is normaly meat pressed on to a larger skewer into one complete mass with no distinct meat pieces, and grilled normaly about 3 feet tall and foot and a half or so in diamater. Served in a pitta bread with a range of other shXX, no idea exactly whats in it but its supposed to be lamb only.
Gyros is normally slices of real meat, which is layered onto the same type of skewer after having been first been marinated, local butchers will make up their own so different shops will have different taste, it is lamb, never known gyros to be anything but, although you can get a chicken type that is similar. Gyros is often served on a plate with kraut salat, onions and Tzatziki,

I make no comment about what its called elsewhere in the world but lived and worked long enough in Germany to know what I am asking for in a restraunt and what I am expecting to eat.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote