User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #61
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Wander,

If you read his post, he couldn't find the Funky Monkey.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #62
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
12/25/2012 Merry Christmas!

This morning I'm on an important mission. It's Christmas (or a “Happy Holiday” if you're waging a war on Christmas ) and presumably everything is closed an yet... I must have my coffee. Time for an exploratory ride in the hopes of finding something open. I cruised the streets of Mazatlan, first checking out the Starbucks (closed) then moving on to whatever I could find. Eventually I ran into an open Oxxo and got a cup of plain old (delicious) coffee. It was very satisfying. With that out of the way, it's off to search for the elusive hostel: Funky Monkey.

The Mazatlan strip.

Since I memorized the address I had no trouble finding it this time around. It was right where it was supposed to be, but with no sign whatsoever that it was in fact a hostel and not just someones house. There was a small paper note on the gate which directed me to call a number since the doorbell was broken. Not having a phone, I opted to bang on the gate with a brick until someone answered. That someone was a hung over young lady wearing only panties. Good start.

Funky Monkey. (Yes, that's my helmet on the handlebars. Don't be a hater )

An aside: Apparently in Mexico people celebrate Christmas by having dinner at midnight on the eve, then drinking all night. The next morning NOTHING is open (as can be expected on Christmas day) but by afternoon almost everything is open again.

The young lady sent out a gent who let me in and showed me around. The place is really nice (it's new, only open three months) and has a pool. All for about $10 a night. I immediately decided I was moving there asap. I made what little arrangements were required and went back to my hotel to pack and move. After moving into the new place it was time to meet up with Phil and Jayne and their swanky resort hotel (they were staying with friends). We ended up hanging out at the resort under an umbrella having several conversations with old ladies who kept coming by to say hello. Very interesting way to spend Christmas.

Towards evening we decided to go back to my hostel as the siblings had nowhere to stay for the night. It's nice to see a gang (pack, flock, herd, litter, drove, pride, troop, murder?) of bikes outside and to have some good company after a few days of being solitary. A day of fellowship and beers. Who can ask for more on Christmas?

Stock photo, not mine.

Random Fact: Pacifico beer was originally brewed by Germans here in Mazatlan in 1900.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #63
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey NotAllWhoWanderRLost and Slide. Yeah I found it on the internet, but I just thought I'd cruise around and see it when I rode by. I must have ridden past it 3 or 4 times circling the block but didn't recognize it because there was no sign and I didn't take note of the address. Once I got the address (and saw a photo of it) it was easy to find. Just me not paying attention to the right things.

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #64
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Why no pix of the naked chick? You're letting us down and into our own seasonal depression.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #65
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Why no pix of the naked chick? You're letting us down and into our own seasonal depression.
Haha... that would have been rude (plus I didn't have my camera ready before she disappeared indoors again...)

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #66
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 323
Count me in for your ride. Excited to see where you will go and what you will experience on the way.
Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #67
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 378
Thumb Success!

I'm glad to hear your persistence paid off and you've found the Funky Monkey!

And, you've gotta love a welcome greeting like that as well! Nice work refraining from shooting photos.

My family used to own a house on Rio Amazonas between Albatros and Ibis about eight blocks from the FM. I've spent a fair amount of time on that end of Mazatlan and think you'll enjoy the scenery on the nearby beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post

Random Fact: Pacifico beer was originally brewed by Germans here in Mazatlan in 1900.
You should go by the Pacifico brewery to check out their museum and take a tour while your in town. Their retail store used have the best prices on cases, especially if you go in with a local.

Have fun and take lots of photos!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #68
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderRLost View Post
You should go by the Pacifico brewery to check out their museum and take a tour while your in town. Their retail store used have the best prices on cases, especially if you go in with a local.

Have fun and take lots of photos!
I got this a bit too late Wander. Thanks for the tip. I usually post a day or two behind which makes getting recommendations inconvenient... Maybe I'll have to change that. I'll have to check it out on the way back if I pass through here again.

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #69
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

12/26/2012 Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Today was my birthday and I didn't ride. Being born in December, I really appreciate being able to spend my birthday wearing a t-shirt and getting a tan. An aside: I've been trying to reconfigure my sleep cycle to take advantage of as much daylight as possible instead of staying up to the wee hours of the night, so with that in mind, I've made an effort to be up by seven and asleep by midnight.

So, I woke up early to a beautiful sunny morning and decided to try out a breakfast place I saw last night which advertised great deals. Since Jayne and Phil were still asleep I took a solitary stroll over and met the owner, James (from Vancouver WA, which is as close to a home base as I have right now) while having a delicious ham and cheese omelet. The omelet and the company of James were good enough that I decided to return for a late lunch (the price was no deterrent either).

Mi Cocina, just off the strip. That's James "shopping".

In the mean time, I wandered back to the hostel to see what the siblings were up to. They were messing around with some blog issues so I set off to explore Mazatlan a bit. I wandered the strip and checked out the beach. It was relatively uneventful. I then returned to the hostel but there was no one around so I went to late lunch.

Nice beach even on an overcast day...

Crappy photo but the other wouldn't upload...

Ended up hanging out with James who used to ride bikes before he had a terrible accident and lost half his face (since fixed with plastic surgery). Before I left he recommended a friend in Bucerias (just north of Puerto Vallarta) who could hook me up with a relatively cheap place to stay (it ended up not working out exactly). The friend was Ruben who owns “Dugarel Plays”. I was to deliver his card and pass on a message.

Mazatlan: The land of manicured trees...

After lunch/dinner I went back to the hostel to hang out. Towards late evening a couple of Kiwis rolled up on a pair of made-in-India imitation Vespas. They were traveling slow and steady down to Argentina. Cool guys, but really young so they went off to party with the Australians who were also staying there and I had a more low key evening.

Tourists out playing.

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #70
fourthree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Following along. My S.A.D. is kicking my ass bad this year. I am planning a similar thing for next winter, can't take this dark, dreary cold crap anymore. Thank you for the photos, gives me something to dream about. Looks like a wonderful journey. Stay safe amigo.
fourthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #71
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,180
Happy Birthday Oteories!

VG RR, I've been following from the get-go.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #72
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthree View Post
Following along. My S.A.D. is kicking my ass bad this year. I am planning a similar thing for next winter, can't take this dark, dreary cold crap anymore. Thank you for the photos, gives me something to dream about. Looks like a wonderful journey. Stay safe amigo.
I feel your pain (well, empathize with it anyway) Fourthree! Next year will come before you know it

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #73
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Happy Birthday Oteories!

VG RR, I've been following from the get-go.
Thanks OldPete!!

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #74
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

10/27/2012 A little awkward?

It's once again time to head further south. The plan was to head down to Bucerias, spend the night then continue on to La Manzanilla where I'd meet up with Randy (r6-lover on adv) and maybe spend New Year's. But first, breakfast at Mi Cocina (again) to say bye to James. He's a great guy; offered to let me stay at his house and have breakfast gratis (I declined the stay since I was leaving and left a hefty tip for breakfast in lieu of payment).

Leaving Funky Monkey. KLRs and "Vespas" littering the lot.

I made my way down the libre-15 (this time with no toll booths!) for a few hours and turned off on Rt. 54 towards the coast and San Blas. Finally getting off of a major highway, I started running into a lot more “Topes” (speed bumps), some unmarked. Topes, what topes? It was more like Tortas. The KLR just ate them up! I didn't even have to slow down for most of them, just had to stand up. Thank you progressive suspension...

It says “Libre” there better not be any tolls!

A big rock...

I cruised down Rt. 54 until I hit a dirt road and realized I went too far. Still having many miles to go, I decided to save the exploration for later and turned around to find the right road.

End of the paved road. Next time...

I eventually ran into coastal Rt. 200 and that's where the fun began! Rt. 200 runs along the coast pretty much all the way south as far as Mexico goes. In its northern (and maybe southern too?) section it alternates between straight sections of coastline with spectacular ocean views and high bluffs with very sharp curves. Here is where I decided listening to some music while riding is not a bad idea. It was a beautiful area but I didn't take many pictures because I was too busy rocking the f*ck out of those twisties while blasting dub step! My new favorite road sign is “Curva Peligrosa” (dangerous curves). I've read how the KLR is supposedly good at cornering, but up until now I had no idea. She's got more cornering capability than I do at this point! More and more I'm starting to really like this bike.

Twisties!

I eventually arrived at Bucerias with a huge grin on my face as the sun was setting. When I found Dugarel Plays I was in for a shock. Instead of a shack on the beach, what I saw was a five star restaurant with cloth tablecloths and waiters wearing button up white shirts and black slacks, and a huge patio hanging over the beach looking out onto the sunset. Hmm... I don't think I'll be camping on the beach under their patio (as James suggested)... I went in feeling slightly uncomfortable in my dirty riding gear and got a table. Might as well try the food while I wait to talk to Ruben. Ruben is a really great guy who was very hospitable. He brought out a complimentary appetizer and seemed genuinely happy to hear from James and try to help me out. As I was in an upper class touristy suburb of Peurto Vallarta, the chances of finding a motel within my desired price range was next to impossible. Ruben made a few calls and told me he arranged a place not far from the restaurant for a decent discount and gave me directions there. After I finished a terrific meal a bit more expensive than I would have liked to pay (but very reasonable compared to what it would have cost in the USA at a place like this), I headed to Hotel Carmolitas (not recommended).

At the hotel I was greeted by a shady guy who wanted to charge me twice what Ruben quoted me. He said it was impossible to give a discount because I was there at the pinnacle of tourist season and all the hotels were charging more. He was correct on all points although he just spoke to Ruben and agreed on the price, so I left his (completely devoid of customers) hotel and decided to try my luck just riding south. That may not have been the best idea... The hotel manager was right. There was not a reasonable priced hotel anywhere near Puerto Vallarta. I ended up riding south for hours in the dark, dodging potholes and negotiating twisties through the jungle (which was a little scary but mostly great fun since nothing bad happened) until I finally came upon a village with a beautiful little hotel: “Real Del Valle” (coincidentally, Randy randomly stayed here as well). By then I was beat and didn't much care what it cost (still cheaper than anything I saw in Puerto Vallarta) so I crashed there for the night.

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #75
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 378
Thumb The adventures continue...

Hope you have a Happy New Year!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote