User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
hscrugby OP
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
How to add a hidden kill switch 08 450 xcf

So I have a plated xcf and I tool around on it.
I'd like a hidden kill switch that won't cause me issues on the trail.
I was thinking of three options.
1. Hidden interrupt on the start button. Problem is it is easy enough to bump start.
2. Tie into the kill switch button. Is this a good idea? Not sure leaving it "killed" like this wouldn't cause issues, but I'm not exactly sure how that button stops the engine. :) I need more research before this option.
3. Putting an interrupt switch between the negative ground and the battery. I'm not sure how big of a switch I'd need. I guess I can run it with an amp meter to see how much pull goes through there? Bigger than 10A I'd think a relay would be needed. This would be the easiest to bypass if it fried in the woods. And I think this is going to be the best bet.

Has anyone else ran something like this? What switch or relay did you use?
This is mainly for safety and to keep coworkers from messing with me. I don't want to see a little kid start my bike because his mom is oblivious.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
06 450 EXC here.

I went with option 1. Hidden kill on the starter button.

Problem being it can still be kickstarted.

I'm listening too
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Check the wiring from the kill switch to under the tank. Patch a wire onto the current wire and run it to a switch hidden where you want it (I had mine on the headlight shell). Run from the other terminal of the switch to ground. Starter will turn, but no spark/no run. I ran this for 5 years on my 07 250/320 XCF-W.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think hidden wiring is adding any theft protection. It might keep a teenage casual joyrider from riding off on the bike but will do little to deter a thief who targets the bike. They'll just roll it off and put it in a truck which is done frequently. At least get a disk lock, that way they cant ride it and it's a bit more trouble to roll off.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
^

You are not wrong, but it's more likely to be the opportunistic type of thief around here.

My bike is usually securely parked when not riding it. It's at rest stops, camps etc that a kill is useful.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
hscrugby OP
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think hidden wiring is adding any theft protection. It might keep a teenage casual joyrider from riding off on the bike but will do little to deter a thief who targets the bike. They'll just roll it off and put it in a truck which is done frequently. At least get a disk lock, that way they cant ride it and it's a bit more trouble to roll off.
AS I said in my first post, safety, (I have walked out of stores and seen kids climbing on my bike and other bikes before) right now, push the button and the bike jumps since I leave it in gear on kick stand. With my luck some crazy mom would sue me. AND I'd be out a bike during court case etc.
Also hidden kill switch would keep coworkers from going on a joy ride.
Will it stop a determined thief? Hell no. Nothing will. I had a huge pair of bolt cutters in college to help with the idiots that lost their keys to the bike locks.
Then senior year thieves came through, unbolted the entire bike racks, threw them in a moving truck and booked.
A dedicated thief is going to snag it. I have a cable lock and would like an added kill switch for the "honest" people.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
hscrugby OP
"That guy"

Oh, I tried testing the amp draw through the ground wire.
It blew the fuse on my tester, but maybe I had a loose connection.
I can't believe it's more than 20A?
If so, well, that would definitely require a relay type switch. I guess in theory putting a bigger relay switch in wouldn't hurt anything? Just some added weight/expense?
I might run to boat store and see what they have in stock.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
This will work for the guys with the older bikes, might be adaptable to 08+. It just plugs in to the kill switch and the stock headlight switch, but any switch can be used.

http://sicassracing.com/store/index....roducts_id=174

All the kill switch does is ground out the spark coming from the CDI to the frame when depressed instead of sending it to the coil. So standard 16 gauge wire will work fine as current will only run through it when the hidden switch is in the off position, while the engine is being cranked.

If you make your own, all you have to do it cut the wire going to the coil, wire a 2 position, 3 pin toggle switch in it, and then ground out the off position pin.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote