ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
PastRedline OP
Wanderer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Fremont, CA, USA
Oddometer: 35
[NorCal] Berryessa->Mendocino NF in January

Hi All-

This is cross-posted from the "Trip Planning - Americas" section, in hopes of getting some local experience/current conditions...

I am in the process of route planning for a 3 day adventure that I'd like to take in the beginning of January (1/4 - 1/6).

This GPX File shows my general plan.

I intend to ride freeways up to lake berryessa, twisties around the lake to a dirt path through Knoxville OHV that includes Reiff Rd, etc from seavoyage's monthly informal ride in that area. From there, I'll head north on 16, and get back on the dirt up Bear Valley Rd and into "Wintun Camp" around Indian Valley Reservoir that looks nice. The next day, I will basically loop around the reservoir to intercept a route I got that is supposedly tracks from the easy splits of the 2009 Sheetiron. Follow that route up and into Stonyford and around through the national forest over to a campground at Lake Mendocino. For the final day, I'll just cut across 20 to 1 and take a scenic ride down the coast.

Unless anyone here was looking for something to do that weekend, this is likely to be a solo trip - my normal riding buddies are all busy that weekend.

I'm looking for feedback on the wisdom of this route during the winter. Rain/Snow weather predictions during the actual trip, or significant storms right before the trip will likely cancel the plan. Since we've already had a fair amount of rain out here, what are the chances that this will be impassable? Is it likely to be snowy? I'm on an F8GS, so not a small bike, but it's on TKCs and I'm somewhat competent with it (I'm not very fast, but I don't get stopped by much and I don't mind picking it up).

I'm equipped to camp in temperatures down to the low 30's. The high risk bit looks to be the Saturday route, which I've never ridden before and is mostly sheetiron trails - seems like there's some potential to get blocked or have significant delays which could leave me camping in the middle of the forest and making up the difference on Sunday. Since I only have to cover some odd 100 miles that day, it seems doable unless the trails are significantly more technical than expected.

I appreciate your feedback...

Thanks,

-Kyle
PastRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014