User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Steelraider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
R 1150GS Battery Replacement

Well, it's that time of year. Low battery draining temps, thought my charger would take care of it in storage mode, but NOOOOO!!!!

I know there are threads on this subject but I still haven't figured out the search engine on this site. So, I either need links to thread on best battery for R 1150GS or present opinions with price and source for your pick. Appreciate the help !!!

Larry
I'd be lost without my OL' Lady, She has the GPS
Steelraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,170
IMHO The Odyssey PC680 is the best. Some also like the Yousa. You can get either reasonably priced at www.batteriesplus.com.

Also, Wesco makes a good battery at a very reasonable price from www.beemerboneyard.com.

I put a Wesco in my GS last week.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
I have a PC680 in my 1150 that has lasted for four years and is still strong. I don't leave my bikes on trickle chargers during the winter months, just occasionally plug them in overnight. Everybody I know that stores their bikes on trickle chargers replaces batteries every one or two years. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I have a PC680 in my 1150 that has lasted for four years and is still strong. I don't leave my bikes on trickle chargers during the winter months, just occasionally plug them in overnight. Everybody I know that stores their bikes on trickle chargers replaces batteries every one or two years. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.
I never use a charger unless I let my bike sit too long. Then, like you, I charge it and ride it. I have long suspected that trickle/maintenance chargers are not actually good for batteries as well.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,468
can't beat the Odyssey
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Basic_Gerd
Gerd

Oddometer: 244
If you wanna save 5,4 kg at the high center of gravity, take a 6,9 Ah LiFePo.

BMW Airhead -> www.zeebulon.de/bmw
BMW R1100GS -> www.zeebulon.de/R1100GS
XT 500 -> www.zeebulon.de/xt
Basic_Gerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I never use a charger unless I let my bike sit too long. Then, like you, I charge it and ride it. I have long suspected that trickle/maintenance chargers are not actually good for batteries as well.

Jim
Jim,

I am not an expert but I too have long discarded my "trickle" style chargers in favor of what the industry now calls "smart" chargers. The old trickle chargers merely reduced the charge rate to a low current however, the charger still provided current to the battery even though the battery was full. This caused heat, gassing and eventual battery failure.

Nowadays, the smart chargers turn off once the full battery voltage threshold has been reached but monitors the battery and turns back on if the voltage drops below the threshold, keeping the battery full and thereby reducing sulfating and optimizing the battery output the next time you call for high current like during a cold start at 0 F.

In this maintenance mode, a battery can be left connected to the "smart" charger indefinitely, especially important if your vehicle has low parasitic drains required to maintain various ECU functions, clocks and other low level current loads.

Batteries like to be full and kept full. The good "smart" chargers accomplish this and thereby extend battery life.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
can't beat the Odyssey
The Beezer is right (does Beezer mean BSA? If so, you are likely familiar with the less than reliable electrical systems on many of the old Brit bikes including the Birmingham Small Arms motorcycles).

The LiFePO batteries are attractive because of their low weight and ability to deliver high current. But, from what I have read, our electrical systems are not optimized for the charging requirements of these batteries. Until the automotive industry adopts the LiFePO battery as the engine starting battery of choice and optimizes the charging profile to accommodate these batteries, I'll stick with a high quality AGM like the Odyssey.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
PC680. Lowest cost option will be to incorporate a battery cut-off switch. Not sure if the Hella 500 amp marine cut-off is still available but that one lets me reset the the ecu easily. Must be careful never to disconnect battery w/engine running.

Odyssey Support:
owners manual : http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...M-010_0412.pdf

tech manual: http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...1_0411_000.pdf

Odyssey Ultimizer: http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...2_0107_000.PDF

Odyssey approved charger: http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...CT2012_000.pdf

note: Battery Doc doctor is equivalent to Enerwatt 2-4-8

For those that may be charging from generator or have rv or back up batteries for home or cabin the advanced smart charger compliments the Odyssey very well. Look for range of input voltages and frequency accepted.

Battery Doc 2-4-8 /desulfation ($75-120)

Batterminder w/temp probe ($120)

Odyssey Ultimizer 6A ($75)

Various marine grade fully programmable such as Pro Mariner West Marine. Best choice for boaters, rv'ers, of grid
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...5#.UNzliW_mMeM
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Steelraider OP
Adventurer

Battery Charger

I greatly appreciate all the good advice received so far. This is the charger I have and appears to be what your talking about. If not please point me in the right direction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deltran-Supe...d572c9&vxp=mtr

Thanks again,

Larry
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

O.K. You've ruled out Odyssey and you've decided on one that matches your Deltran. Have you found a source for the old fashioned wet cells? Everything over at Bobs BMW is either AGM or Gel.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Fortunately Deltran has this nice page that introduces you to charging algorithms:

http://batterytender.com/resources/b....htm/#answer11

And we can see that the float voltage is 13.2 or maybe 13.3 or maybe 13.4 or something along those lines. Oddly they delve in to this information w/o giving actual specs.

Since Deltran is reluctant to publish its actual float voltage we turn to Battery Stuff who reports 13.3 float (not guaranteed)
Therefore your goal should be to find an old technology flooded cell battery that is compatible with 13.3 float.

Comforting quotes from the world of Deltran(exact quote):
" For example, the Battery Tender? Plus (part of a different product line) switches out of absorption mode when the charge current falls below 100 milliamps (or 0.1 amp) or when the absorption mode has lasted for 8 hours. With properly set timers or charge current switch thresholds, the battery should be charged to more than 95% at the end of absorption mode. Ideally it would be at 100%, but there are some practical limitations that usually prevent full recharge."

Yes on their FAQ page they insert a ?. Attention Whovians, step right up and plug in your Tardis.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Jim,

I am not an expert but I too have long discarded my "trickle" style chargers in favor of what the industry now calls "smart" chargers. The old trickle chargers merely reduced the charge rate to a low current however, the charger still provided current to the battery even though the battery was full. This caused heat, gassing and eventual battery failure.

Nowadays, the smart chargers turn off once the full battery voltage threshold has been reached but monitors the battery and turns back on if the voltage drops below the threshold, keeping the battery full and thereby reducing sulfating and optimizing the battery output the next time you call for high current like during a cold start at 0 F.

In this maintenance mode, a battery can be left connected to the "smart" charger indefinitely, especially important if your vehicle has low parasitic drains required to maintain various ECU functions, clocks and other low level current loads.

Batteries like to be full and kept full. The good "smart" chargers accomplish this and thereby extend battery life.
There is no charger out there smarter than a human. Plug it in overnight every month or so and you can opt out of the whole discussion of charging algorithms, etc. Due to the frequent power outages we seem to have and the fact that I don't like the idea of attaching my bike to the grid when I'm not home I'll stick with my proven and safe strategy. I do have the bmw branded charger and new deltran tenders but I think it is foolish to trust them for long-term storage. At least take the battery out of the bike if you insist on doing that.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #14
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,175
Well, I won't add to the above except to say that I have a BMW-brand trickle charger and every 5 years or so I put a new Yuasau battery in my 2001 1150 GS. I have several bikes (and even the lawn tractor) hooked up with leads, so I rotate the charger between them over the winter (usually a week per gizmo, so one week on and three off) and don't seem to have any negative side effects.

On the more important subject:

I know there are threads on this subject but I still haven't figured out the search engine on this site.

Click on the orange Search label above and a little menu will drop down, then click on the tiny orange period below the blank box and VOILA! a plethora of options appears. Years ago that orange dot was an actual menu item like "advanced search" or something, but it became an orange dot and I don't know why. Maybe it's like a secret handshake or something .

Doug
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Steelraider OP
Adventurer

Battery

Using this search method does not produce any threads on Batteries or Battery Charging.

I plan on getting the PC680. Now, without a lot of tech talk, what charger is best for the battery??

Larry