Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #466
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Some dude wanted it and pretty much wasted my time, so here I am
I wish. My vacation starts tomorrow, plenty of time to road-trip from Atlanta to VT and back... but I gots no mo' money.

Best of luck with the sale. I'll pick one up eventually.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #467
dcarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot Box View Post
Nice to see it on the hot plate dcarver

I had an ATK/XR kit bike for a short time until I found out it was stolen I returned it to the rightful owner and it all worked out ok in the long run but I sure do miss it!
Good on you for doing the right thing. I once found pieces and parts of my TT500 in a swap meet. The resultant 'meeting' was not nice..
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #468
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Dammit! Where were you two weeks ago when I was shopping for a 605 (for the past two months)?
werent lookin very hard, mine was for sale for a few months, unless its too far for shipping. that actually seems to be a valid excuse round here and i didnt even know shippers had a mileage limit.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #469
2 SPOT
wannabe

oh crap rotbox, i think remember mention of that. did you get anything for it, re-imbursment or just outta luck with money and good on karma?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #470
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
oh crap rotbox, i think remember mention of that. did you get anything for it, re-imbursment or just outta luck with money and good on karma?
Well the rightful owner was nice enough to give me what I paid for the bikes (he really didn't have to) and I was nice enough to give the bikes back (I really didn't have to) Authorities could care less about it as it was a civil matter and I lost a fair chunk of money and time but I couldn't help putting myself in his shoes so I feel mostly good about the outcome other than I lost two of the coolest bikes I've ever owned LOL.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #471
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
werent lookin very hard, mine was for sale for a few months, unless its too far for shipping. that actually seems to be a valid excuse round here and i didnt even know shippers had a mileage limit.
I called a couple shippers when I was still shopping around, and their quotes scared me off from that idea. 50 to 75 cents a mile IF the bike was even on their regular route.

I'm kicking myself that I missed Pantera's '99 605 DSES. Dude lives three hours from me, and it went for $2200.

I started lusting for one in October, and he had sold his in August. Dammit dammit dammit.
XR400 Index
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #472
2 SPOT
wannabe

well at least ya got karma points, its cool that it worked out ok for both of ya.

panteras bike was pretty nice, i remember watching him re-do it.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #473
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
I called a couple shippers when I was still shopping around, and their quotes scared me off from that idea. 50 to 75 cents a mile IF the bike was even on their regular route.

I'm kicking myself that I missed Pantera's '99 605 DSES. Dude lives three hours from me, and it went for $2200.

I started lusting for one in October, and he had sold his in August. Dammit dammit dammit.
I have Panteras bike actually. My buddy in Asheville bought it and then decided to vintage road race BMW's. I bought the ATK to build a hack bike but decided I would rather ride than wrench.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #474
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
dcarver...would you happen to have notes on your jetting? I have the same engine and carb on my xr6.

thanks

great bikes you guys
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #475
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

And now it's in Vermont, and I'm broke. Damn the luck.

It worked out okay, really. I'm tinkering on a pretty decent XR400R now. The cam chain swap is a bit more complex than that of a Rotax 4T, but it'll be done soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I have Panteras bike actually. My buddy in Asheville bought it and then decided to vintage road race BMW's. I bought the ATK to build a hack bike but decided I would rather ride than wrench.
XR400 Index
Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #476
dcarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
dcarver...would you happen to have notes on your jetting? I have the same engine and carb on my xr6.

thanks

great bikes you guys
My jetting sucks!
It won't start with choke on..
The drill is turn gas on, decomp kick through with choke on about 6 or so times
Turn choke off
Kick
Kick
Kick
Kick
Kick
Kick
Kick
Kick
Cough!
Kick
Kick
Kick
Start!

When I get it dialed in I'll post up!

In the mean time..
Project ATK is getting closer and closer to being an bike actually worthy of abusing in the dirt as all good dirt bikes should be. Today got her 'lifted' off the suspension to remove forks and rear shock. I gotta say Thanks to my bud Gupster for building the bike rack and lift.. I'm getting to old to be crawling on the floor like the 'good old days'..

Front forks and rear shock ready for Independent Race Shop, San Luis Obispo, CA.
1989? CR 250 cartridge forks. Supposedly the 'ones' to have. After IRS gets done with them, I'll have a better idea of what they 'really' are..
Yeah, it's a bit scary to put a 5k dirt bike up in the air with a 17k HD sitting underneath. That's why I have the big turnbuckles and custom jack under the ATK.
And TieDowns too!
The exhaust is another issue I don't know what to do with.. The rear tire hits, it needs be spaced about 3/8" away. I'm considering just building a new system from scratch and be done with this headache.

Naked, the forks are rear shock are both leaky. I hope severe corrosion hasn't eaten at the internals.
Back in the day, I had RaceTech do the work. Hopefully, IRS can do a good job locally for less money..
When done, this bike must be able to handle severe abuse, run reliably, and handle great. I have another motor for her, it was the race engine, which I'll detune, rebuild, and stab into later. Just because she is old school does NOT mean it can't work.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #477
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
dcarver, if your bike is had to start try going up on your pilot jet. I'm no expert bt I have succesfully jetted a few bikes from scratch.

crash n bern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #478
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
dcarver...the one thing about tm flatslides on our 4stroke engine is to not USE the choke at all!

My jetting right now(im fine tuning after adding an hrc replica cam) is 20 pilot, 220 main needle in 4th. needle is the leanest 6fj41 If im not mistaken

keep us posted, bike is looking great

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #479
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmild View Post
Hi, First time post to this thread (I think) and I am hoping the collective wisdom can advise me on the above.

Has anyone fitted or definitely know what cush hub will fit a 1994 (twin loop frame) ATK 605DSES?

I have been in touch with Rad Mfg and they want my rear hub sent over (from Oz) before they will make a call on what may fit or if they need to make a hub. I don't mind buying the hub, in fact I really like the wedge set-up of the cush in the Rad compared to the O-rings in the (possible alternative) Talon, but sending the hub to the US and then back to Oz seems a bit drastic (I might have to do this yet). Someone must know the interchangeability of rear wheels into the 605. What other hubs/wheels will fit? Or is it a matter of finding something close and sort it out on the spacers?

One train of thoughts I had was checking if a KTM 640 or 690 rear hub fits and either using one of those or order a Rad cush to fit a 640/690 and then sort it out on the spacers. Can anyone help? Thanks.

All ktm EXC,620/625/640 rear wheels will fit into the ATK with a slight spacer mod on one side. Suzuki DRZ400 wheel will fit as well as that is a straight fit into a KTM. Call Titman racing in QLD as they are the distributor for Talon hubs and will tell you what else should fit. The 94 ATK had a specific sprocket bolt pattern that wont cross refference so going to a KTM or Suzuki hub will give you a better range of rear sprockets. you'll just have to spring for a new disc.

crash n bern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #480
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Thinking about parting out the ATK, can't seem to get any interest in the bike whole. Any thoughts?