ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #106
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,852
TOPOs

I have all the NatGeo topos with coodinates for the ride if anyone wants them. I broke the 450 miles into eleven 8.5" x 14" PDF's. I never rely totally on the GPS so I'm planning bringing a set of these printed out waterproof paper (2 sided) and manually drawing the route with a marker. I tried to reduce it to less pages but there wasn't enough detail to navigate by.

PM me an email address if you want a set, they're in 2 zip files, 3.4M & 1.6M.

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #107
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,059
it's not looking good for me.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #108
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post

Nice job Chris!!

AtomicXrer...

Are you not going to be able to make it???

I am going to send the money to USAA at the end of February(ish). If changes of plans come up for anyone before I send in the money shoot me a PM and I can paypal you a refund.

I will be sending out an email to everyone registered with the tracks attached and more detailed info in the next few weeks.
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #109
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Everyone who requested copied should have gotten them, Merry Christmas!

I was able to edit the maps so the trail's path is shown as a bold line (that took awhile ) They mimic the GPS files very closely. The 8.5 x 14 adventure paper works well but at $25 it's pricy. I think there's other waterproof paper options, I'd think card stock would work ok also. Ether way the topos print well using a standard inkjet printer on high res, I plan to print these back to back so it will end up as 6 sheets.

RideFreak screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 01:06 PM
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #110
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Thanks for the presents Santa!!

Will they print on 8.5 x 11 or do I need 8.5 x 14? I'd try one but don't want to waste the ink..

Anyone have any idea how much Kinkos might charge to print something like this on waterprrof/tearproof paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Everyone who requested copied should have gotten them, Merry Christmas!

I was able to edit the maps so the trail's path is shown as a bold line (that took awhile ) They mimic the GPS files very closely. The 8.5 x 14 adventure paper works well but at $25 it's pricy. I think there's other waterproof paper options, I'd think card stock would work ok also. Ether way the topos print well using a standard inkjet printer on high res, I plan to print these back to back so it will end up as 6 sheets.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #111
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

I emailed the GPS tracks out to everyone. I entered a few emails in wrong so I resent them, if anyone does not get them let me know.

Mtech1950- I did not have your email. Can you PM me with it?

Also Blackbird, are you still in? If so PM me with your email.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #112
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Also Blackbird, are you still in? If so PM me with your email.
it's tough to commit this far out with the work schedule I've had this whole year....and I know continues well into next year.

Since space is limited, I'll free up a space for someone that knows they can go, and if I can make it when the time comes - I'll see if there's an available spot. Or maybe a small self sufficient ragtag group can follow behind as an "overflow" tour
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #113
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
it's tough to commit this far out with the work schedule I've had this whole year....and I know continues well into next year.

Since space is limited, I'll free up a space for someone that knows they can go, and if I can make it when the time comes - I'll see if there's an available spot. Or maybe a small self sufficient ragtag group can follow behind as an "overflow" tour
Blake,
I'd love to have you along, so I'll just hold a spot till it gets closer. If you cant make it Im sure someone will want to go, and if not its not a big deal either way.

PM your email though and I will add you to the email list so you can get updates and info about the ride.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #114
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,120
Hey, I really appriciate all the effort being put into this event.
I feel bad not contributing to this endevour.
Please let me know if I can do anything to help make this event better.
Thanks again!
Assfault
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #115
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Hey, I really appriciate all the effort being put into this event.
I feel bad not contributing to this endevour.
Please let me know if I can do anything to help make this event better.
Thanks again!
Assfault
Not a problem, it should be a fun weekend.

So Dmac1 brought up a good point......

What do you guys think the best option is for parking in Moab for 15-20 cars for 2 nights?

Maybe some of the big gravel lots towards Kane Creek/Pritchette? Or would some of the hotels be an option, I think you can pay a few bucks and park over night? I really have no idea

Im sure some people will be staying in hotels Thursday night so maybe they can just ask the hotel to leave their car over the weekend.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #116
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,120
I have never had any problems parking off the Hwy. Weather that be north or south of town. I'm sure some might want the added perceived security in town at a hotel but I'm not convinced it is better. I'm gonna leave my truck in Rabbit Valley and commute to Moab with Akasy. .
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*

Assfault screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 10:55 AM
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #117
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Since I'll be staying the night before and night after I was going to ck into one of those campgrounds with the cabins and see if they'd let me stash a vehicle there for a couple nights.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #118
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm sure this will be helpful for the out of town riders who may not have a lot of experience in Moab.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #119
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Happy New Year!

The Super 8 has a big parking lot...but doubt they'd relish having 20 trucks/trailers sitting around all weekend. I still think the MX track might be viable...but I don't know if it would cost anything.

The question seems to be: is there a dirt lot that is big enough for 20 trucks that is near the start or finish of our ride?

A few possibilities....Pritchett's overflow (I don't know how big it is), the parking lot on the right side of road before Amasa Back (mtn bike guidebook says its about 5 mi from town and I think we'd largely fill it), or, the big one out on 191 north of town just before 313 (pretty much at the end of Gemini Bridges). Perhaps this latter one would be best as far as size and we'd end right at our trucks. Problem is we'd have to ride about 11 miles into town to start. The MX track is kinda on the southern outskirts of town and I think they'd have plenty of room too. I could call and check on it if desired.

I'm guessing we'll be planning to rendezvous early Friday morning? If so, most of us will probably need to motel it or camp Thursday night...and like RideFreak, I am planning to stay over Sunday night too. I don't know of campgrounds with cabins?

dmac1 screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 08:46 AM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #120
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
I don't know of campgrounds with cabins?
The KOA on the south end of town has cabins
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote