Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #1201
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
+1 on the Lincoln Welding books, I inherited a bunch of them and they are excellent.....FWIW they are still in print and are a bargain, many feature old equipment but the ideas, tips, and procedures make them worthwhile

http://www.jflfoundation.com/default.asp
Thank you for the link!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #1202
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,308
looking good. I say you coat this with some seriously strong stuff. Not paint, spray on bed protector or something...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Still pluggin' away.

I had to work the last two days, so I try to slip in the garage for at least an hour after a plate of dinner...

Top sleeves that will mount to the I-beam are cut out and drilled for 3/4" mounting hardware. Now I need to make a plate that will weld to this to bolt to the I- beam. Maybe more to see tomorrow...

Oh - I've really been enjoying Keith Fenner's videos on YT. I watched all 7 episodes of the dragbike rear hub rebuild. He does some very impressive work. I only have about another 250 or so to watch.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #1203
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
looking good. I say you coat this with some seriously strong stuff. Not paint, spray on bed protector or something...?
Thanks! I picked up some machinery grey gloss enamel. I like how jgrady's bridgeport base turned out, and picked up some paint last week at the hardware store. It's gonna' take a truckload of degreaser to cut this oil from drilling.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #1204
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,374
Quote:
Still pluggin' away.
Oh - I've really been enjoying Keith Fenner's videos on YT. I watched all 7 episodes of the dragbike rear hub rebuild. He does some very impressive work. I only have about another 250 or so to watch.
What I love about them is that no matter the project, there is always something to learn.

And the Lincoln books are great. They are all projects that someone has constructed. Lots of interesting and useful stuff.

And sorry Zombie_Stomp, but they are all still in print and copyrighted material, so I can't just copy stuff out - it's an ADV thing, respecting intellectual property, and all like that.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #1205
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post

The government should subsidize those holy [home workshop] places! 80% tax rebate on tools to start with!
Check with your accountant. Workshop equipment might qualify as an education expense/investment.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #1206
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post

Offtopic: my new toy:

Currently being converted to CNC since I am better in programming computers than turning handwheels (try making a circle using the X/Y axis handwheels..). Like the conversion of welder to AC/liquid cooling, I also do all the electronics myself. Including the development of the stepper motor drivers; they are designed and built from scratch starting with a blank piece of paper. Partially a money issue, partially 'I know I can do a really good job on those'.
Fun! That looks like some goodies from the CNCzone.com Electronics forum and Machine Controllers Software and Solutions forum.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #1207
9Dave
Bazinga!

I've been looking at crane pieces and parts on CL. Then I stumbled across this. http://www.dearborncrane.com/pdf/gantry/gantrybro.pdf while reading a thread here http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...78/index2.html

dunno.....
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #1208
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I've been looking at crane pieces and parts on CL. Then I stumbled across this. http://www.dearborncrane.com/pdf/gantry/gantrybro.pdf while reading a thread here http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...78/index2.html
Interesting....according to coffing's chart, the spans that dearborn is talking about are at a less than standard 5:1 safety margin. They are showing an almost 11' span with a narrow flange (3.33") S6 I-beam. (I've learned a lot in 2 weeks! )

Dearborn's adjustment pins appear to be identical to what I picked up at Kirk Supply. I mean Tractor supply, and they only use one. So maybe I'm good to go on what I'm building. I'm still cooking up the beam/top sleeve mount in my mind. Gotta do some scrounging today. I want a longer plate (14" or so) for the beam to rest on so I can gussett to the top collar for extra support.

I may also upgrade the thickness I cut the caster plates from...

That way, if I ever decide on a larger beam and hoist to carry 2 tons, the legs should be plenty stout to handle the job.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #1209
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:

More repetitive, boring work. Who is the dummy that chose 3" centers? I probably would have been fine with 6" centers, but now I have to finish what I started.

Coming soon - death of another DeWalt...

Coffee break over - get back to it, slacker.
couldn't you have drilled thes @ 6" o.c. and still get the same amount of height adustment since your stand is drilled 3" o.c.?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #1210
9Dave
Bazinga!

Look familiar?

dunno.....
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #1211
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
couldn't you have drilled thes @ 6" o.c. and still get the same amount of height adustment since your stand is drilled 3" o.c.?
Precisely. I was already 1/4 of the way complete when the brain fart was realized.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #1212
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Look familiar?

Nice find! I like how they clamp the posts to the beam. Looks like I should have turned my adjustment holes 90 degrees to be free of the come-along. Live and learn.

Mine won't be so easy to put together. Heheheh. But, I will do it by myself with a chainfall and some help from the rear deck.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #1213
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Taking more bites out of the project after work...

I get my hands on some scrap 6" channel. It's galvanized, but beggars can't be choosers. I will grind off the zinc before welding. This should be a very strong beam support that I can gussett to.

Once again, I see that the holes should have been turned 90 degrees. This isn't quite how I planned on doing the gussetts. These are merely scrap pieces from the legs. This would work, just not how I pictured it... I wanted the gussetts boxed, not open. I could still do that if I welded the nuts to the sleeve...

I'm seriously considering drilling another series of holes here on the side, 4" o.c, so I can rotate the post and make everything good. It would also solve the come-along / adjustment pin clearance issue. I just really don't want to drill another 16 holes.

I'm starting to get a little unhappy with myself that I missed this. Now's a good stopping point for tonight. I need to think about what I want to do next.

Until next time...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 05:02 PM
Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #1214
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,891
I am so glad you are anal!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1215
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
I'm seriously considering drilling another series of holes here on the side, 4" o.c, so I can rotate the post and make everything good. It would also solve the come-along / adjustment pin clearance issue. I just really don't want to drill another 16 holes.
Or, you could cut the supports loose and weld them back again to the sides. It would be a PITA, but you wouldn't have to drill new holes, or have two sets.

Just thinking out loud.

dunno.....