Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #661
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
started his career on a 400R
So he's a turncoat? :)

I realise he's an awesome rider, but something is just not right about him.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #662
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 380
Laugh

He's french....
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #663
Jadon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
So he's a turncoat? :)

I realise he's an awesome rider, but something is just not right about him.
Look at the musical chairs each season in MotoGP.
What is there left to prove at KTM?
It would be a rewarding challenge to get HRC onto the top step at Dakar.
Think not only of what KTM has done for him, but what he and Coma have done for KTM.

Lol! Speculation is a wonderful thing. There must be
many facets to this news......
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #664
steelhorseadv
Zombie Killer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
The race is finally showing on Directv shown by NBC sports at 11:30 pm ... Glad I have a DVR, things will be easier with My Premium TV and of course Team F-5 !!
Thanks! Sorry to interrupt.
Steelhorse
Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #665
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,183
Wow.

Of course If Helder were to win it would be exceptionally sweet for him and Honda. But now, were he to win (or at least place ahead of Cyril), it will be that much sweeter for him! Maybe KTM will pick him up and he can ride a orange bike with #1 on it in the 2014 Dakar.
Death Valley Ride
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #666
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Surreal Duplo is re-tyre-ing...?!
Okay, maybe re-bike-ing would be a better way to put it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
OK, I'll spill it...

Helder's contract was only for Morocco and Dakar. Word has it that Cyril has done a deal with HRC and they will not pay for two top riders.
Wow...! So money talks... and the hard work (all the testing preparation/lead up and co-operation with R&D at HRC) walks eh...?

If it's true, then so much for the value placed on long term relationships and allegency... with regards the actions of both Depres towards KTM and HRC towards Helder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Sheesh! That's a risky move. That would be like Sebastien Loeb quitting Citroen for VW in the WRC
Yep going from the reigning (dominant) champions, to a new (as yet unproven) platform... all for the dollar signs? Well, it's NOT unprecedented is it...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #667
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,496
It's a surprise to me too as I figured Cyril would follow most of the other riders over to 4 wheels but I see Cyril as someone who relishes a challenge. He's marketable, dynamic, personable, and not afraid to show different aspects of his regimen, etc... all stuff that works well for a top line rider. Plus, in looking at his reliability, he's top notch. 4 wins, 4 seconds, and only 1 withdrawal in 11 tries, compared to his immediate peers, he is the true alien. He doesn't make questionable mistakes like even Coma does on occasion.

He got a bad wrap last year but the reality is that we don't know what transpired between he and Goncalves. We also didn't view it from the perspective of being in race mode, red mist, and all that, so in taking things as I saw them, I find it hard to fault him. Personally, I can think of only 3 or 4 riders that really hit HRC's hot buttons for ability, reliability, name recognition, and regional appeal throughout the South American market and I would put Cyril at the top of that list.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #668
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Wowsa. Red Bull won't be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
Unless they move with him
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I can't imagine that. RB headquarters are like an hour from KTM. I always thought the Despres deal was made between Mateschitz and Pierer.
^^^ This

Although, it is interesting that Helder was permitted to take RedBull with him onto the HRC ride (for Marocco at least...maybe see what decals are on the bike in Lima?). Maybe - if it is true - Despres will take his RedBull livery with him too?

It was interesting that all of the other four bikes at Marocco had no other (pre-existing) rider/sponsors on them... only the corporate HRC livery.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #669
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Isn't there some sort of saying about "not switching horses in mid-stream !"
Announcing that you are leaving one team (at the end of the season) for another... BEFORE the season starts (much less before ther BIGGEST race of the calender) would not seem to do much for team moral in the bivouac, nes pas?

Quote:
From a very reliable, but unnamed source that has yet to be incorrect.
Like they say about Dolmio Bolognaise Doyle... your sauces are always impeccable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

That's huge. I thought Cyril is in the middle of a two-year contract though, expiring sometime in mid 2014?

edit: Sorry just saw that it expires in November of '13. Still, not much time to prepare to ride '14 in red...?
My thoughrs eggsactly Brodo... Not to mention the "team spirit" in the KTM camp (again... if this revelation IS true).

But methinks letting something like this slip before Dakar 2013... if the "switch" is not till end 2013, is amajor faux pas on the part of Cyril's management. Cyril Duplicity or "Money Boy" could be the new non de plume perhaps?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #670
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Announcing that you are leaving one team (at the end of the season) for another... BEFORE the season starts (much less before ther BIGGEST race of the calender) would not seem to do much for team moral in the bivouac, nes pas?

Like they say about Dolmio Bolognaise Doyle... your sauces are always impeccable!

My thoughrs eggsactly Brodo... Not to mention the "team spirit" in the KTM camp (again... if this revelation IS true).

But methinks letting something like this slip before Dakar 2013... if the "switch" is not till end 2013, is amajor faux pas on the part of Cyril's management. Cyril Duplicity or "Money Boy" could be the new non de plume perhaps?

Timing for this announcement/gossip seems very strange to me.
I can't see the upside of doing it before the race.
And just as a reminder, CRF only did half of Dakar in Morocco and one of them went PUF.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #671
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Look at the musical chairs each season in MotoGP.
What is there left to prove at KTM?
It would be a rewarding challenge to get HRC onto the top step at Dakar.
Think not only of what KTM has done for him, but what he and Coma have done for KTM.

Lol! Speculation is a wonderful thing. There must be
many facets to this news......
Neither Despres or Coma's careers would have gone anywhere (in Rally Raid circles anyway) without the integral mentorship, sponsorhip and team structure of the KTM rally effort over the last 10 years... They were both brought early in as waterboys, and groomed to be champions... thanks in no small measure to people like messrs Kinigadner, Trunkenpolz, Arcarons and later the long term continued corporate support of Pierer and Mateschitz (at the KTM/RedBull level).

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #672
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Talking DAKAR goes WALL STREET...?

Quote:
It's a surprise to me too as I figured Cyril would follow most of the other riders over to 4 wheels but I see Cyril as someone who relishes a financial windfall. He's marketable, opportunistic, personable, and not afraid to exploit different aspects of his business acumen, etc... all stuff that works well for a top line stock broker. Plus, in looking at his bankability, he's top notch. 4 wins, 4 seconds, and only 1 withdrawal in 11 tries, compared to other market peers, he is the true alien. He doesn't make questionable investments like even Coma does on occasion.

He got a mud wrap (and mid race all over body scrub and facial) last year, but the reality is that we don't know what transpired between he and Goncalves (maybe they had booked the spa together, and Gonk's vivid on camera display of displeasure at the time was because Cyril was hogging the loofa...and left in a huff?! ).

We also didn't view it from the perspective of being in spa mode, aroma therapy and all that, so in taking things as (we all) saw them I find it hard to admonish Cyril... he obviously gave Gonk a "happy ending" as compensation at the bivouac?

Personally, I can think of only 3 or 4 riders that really hit HRC's investment portfolio for bankability, marketability, name recognition, and global appeal throughout the saviour fare marketplace... and I would put Cyril Despay at the top of that list.
F5ixed...

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #673
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Timing for this announcement/gossip seems very strange to me.
I can't see the upside of doing it before the race.
And just as a reminder, CRF only did half of Dakar in Morocco and one of them went PUF.
"announcement" is stretching the term a bit... It's cyber gossip or a (wll informed?) insider rumour at best at the moment... but like you say - if it is true - this could have severe "bite one in the ass" ramifications for a solid DAKAR campaign in the coming weeks.

Up till now I had Cyril as #1 tip for the podium (again) this year... Especially with Coma's injury - then subsequent withdrawal.

THIS could be a (major) chink in the armour for CDP's 2013 title quest... I think Tiger Woods called it "taking your eye off the ball..." ?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #674
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
This is getting good, F5 in the warm-up stages.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #675
Jadon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Neither Despres or Coma's careers would have gone anywhere (in Rally Raid circles anyway) without the integral mentorship, sponsorhip and team structure of the KTM rally effort over the last 10 years... They were both brought early in as waterboys, and groomed to be champions... thanks in no small measure to people like messrs Kinigadner, Trunkenpolz, Arcarons and later the long term continued corporate support of Pierer and Mateschitz (at the KTM/RedBull level).
I agree fully. All I meant is that it wasn't completely one sided. When it came down to the nitty gritty of pinning the throttle hour after hour while navigating through the desert at risk to life and limb, KTM have had very good return on their investment in these two men.
Closed Thread