Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #5041
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
Well ....that was a few k's down in a few days ..covered 3,200 up and back to townsville

just tar all the way .....ran metzlers sahara's and they performed well ..tho the rear is now almost gone

had a cool run up and a hot first day run back in the low 40's
but todays was cold and wet from roma to home and i mean real wet .flogging down and i was freezing

bike ran like a clock .....got stung by a bee at 130kms an hr on the side of my face ..got inside my balaclava and stung me .....i was trying to pull over quick as possible and prolly looked a bit distressed as i was doing it ...so much so that the mine ute going the other way stopped and turned round to see if i was ok .....i was chuffed he came back to check on me

rode a few 100 kms with 3 harley riders on a trip ...we met at a servo just out of chaters towers .... but i couldnt hang with them much longer they were a bit slow for me ..they only liked to sit on 110.. and there fuel range was only 220 kms so they had to stop every servo to top up

stayed in a flebag in emerald on the way up ......very very dirty
stayed at a 4 star on the way back at emerald ...very very clean and very nice price differance was 30 bucks the dirty 1 being to more expencive

We got caught in that on the way back from Inskip in the ute today, was thinking how it must be bad on a bike - seriously torrential!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #5042
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Spent a few days with Nick at Tekniks recently preparing another 650R for a mate. I had used the bike pre running the 2013 APC route with Homer and had a list of things to be done. Nick built all the GHR bikes and there is no one better with XR's in Aus, he passed on some tips I thought could be used here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxyT6L4iywM

Tekniks are a supporter of my web site, I arent pushing anything just passing on stuff learnt.

TB
Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #5043
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare

Oddometer: 748
well done TB good bit of info there

i would like to know nick's tip for the air circuit mod! round cap that sits in front of the the choke lever?

ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #5044
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchwitch650 View Post
well done TB good bit of info there

i would like to know nick's tip for the air circuit mod! round cap that sits in front of the the choke lever?

I will be there again tomorrow I will ask

TB
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #5045
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Nice one TB, Team Honda chose to use the aftermarket plate rather than removal on the Baja bikes - for flat out racing the removal seems like a better option to me.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #5046
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
I will be there again tomorrow I will ask

TB
a
pulled this from another page i looked at it and wasn't sold as the diaphragm is a 1 way item, would like to know if this improves the stock carb?

""""
From my research through the archives and interpolation, and messing around with the parts a little, it seems to me that the following method of plugging the air cut valve (ACV) will cover all the ambiguities and close off everything, effectively eliminating the ACV and making the carb more "YZ like".
Hope this saves some of the newbies research.
1.Remove ACV cover (left side of bike 2 screws)
2. Temporarily remove Diaphragm, Large spring, and O-ring.
3. Find a piece of gasket material same thickness as O-ring. I didn't have any and ended up using the rubber flap that comes with the WR's for wet riding conditions. Cut a circle (Doesn't have to be perfect) the size of the O-ring and use a press fit into the hole that the O-ring came out of. All you're doing is covering the hole.
4. Look at the diaphragm. On one side there is a brass colored pin. Normally that pin faces the bike and opens a tiny valve inside the carburator because the spring is pushing on the pin. You don't want this to happen so turn the diaphragm upside down so the pin faces AWAY from the bike.
Note this position because this is how you want to install it.
5. Put the spring in the cover and locate the diaphragm on top of the spring. Put everything back together with blue loctite. Some people say to remove the spring but there's no need to if you flip the diaphragm.
That should do it.

I'm not ABSOLUTELY certain about all this but am REASONABLY certain. I'm no bike expert either so take it or leave it."""

ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #5047
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
Well ....that was a few k's down in a few days ..covered 3,200 up and back to townsville

just tar all the way .....ran metzlers sahara's and they performed well ..tho the rear is now almost gone

had a cool run up and a hot first day run back in the low 40's
but todays was cold and wet from roma to home and i mean real wet .flogging down and i was freezing

bike ran like a clock .....got stung by a bee at 130kms an hr on the side of my face ..got inside my balaclava and stung me .....i was trying to pull over quick as possible and prolly looked a bit distressed as i was doing it ...so much so that the mine ute going the other way stopped and turned round to see if i was ok .....i was chuffed he came back to check on me

rode a few 100 kms with 3 harley riders on a trip ...we met at a servo just out of chaters towers .... but i couldnt hang with them much longer they were a bit slow for me ..they only liked to sit on 110.. and there fuel range was only 220 kms so they had to stop every servo to top up

stayed in a flebag in emerald on the way up ......very very dirty
stayed at a 4 star on the way back at emerald ...very very clean and very nice price differance was 30 bucks the dirty 1 being to more expencive
Everytime something enters my helmet i get scared and hope its not a wasp , bee , or bloody hornet , nearly crashed once when wasp decided to check in my helmet
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #5048
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
Spent a few days with Nick at Tekniks recently preparing another 650R for a mate. I had used the bike pre running the 2013 APC route with Homer and had a list of things to be done. Nick built all the GHR bikes and there is no one better with XR's in Aus, he passed on some tips I thought could be used here.

Tekniks are a supporter of my web site, I arent pushing anything just passing on stuff learnt.

TB
Is he saying that the XR's only plate can be sucked in too ?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #5049
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 335
Caliper

Ive spoken to Scott Dunlavy about these bikes at length and in particular the rear caliper. These were factory parts for JMB's CR 500 and there were 3 in existence. Scott has one on his factory race bike, JC has one on his that Scott is restoring for him, and the third disappeared. So, unless you can buy Scott's or Johnny's then you'll likely never get this unit.

The front break was a 650L bracket and custom float and non float discs. I think they were 240mm, but, don't quote me. JC et all felt the 270s were too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
So after writing to Honda USA about the Johnny Campbell works rear calliper from 2005, this is what they replied with:

"Thank you for your letter about the 2005 XR650R Team A Baja 1000
motorcycle. We always appreciate hearing from our customers.

This type of information on our race model motorcycle is not available to
the general public. We are sure you can understand the confidential nature
of such materials."

Even 7yrs later they still keep such info confidential - wow it must have been some miracle calliper!! :)

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #5050
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownmxr View Post
Ive spoken to Scott Dunlavy about these bikes at length and in particular the rear caliper. These were factory parts for JMB's CR 500 and there were 3 in existence. Scott has one on his factory race bike, JC has one on his that Scott is restoring for him, and the third disappeared. So, unless you can buy Scott's or Johnny's then you'll likely never get this unit.

The front break was a 650L bracket and custom float and non float discs. I think they were 240mm, but, don't quote me. JC et all felt the 270s were too much.
Thanks for this info. I'm struggling to find out why Braking was a sponsor, and what their involvement was if all the brake components were factory items. Perhaps as simple as the pads and hoses?

My guess was that I would never get hold of this, but if anyone ever gets their hands on some close up photos of it please let me know, I fancy making something that looks close to the original but only have distant photos to work from.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #5051
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 335
Berkley Honda

Get ahold of Scott Dunlavy at Berkley Honda in California. He has the only two and I'm sure he would take a photo for you.

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #5052
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Thanks for this info. I'm struggling to find out why Braking was a sponsor, and what their involvement was if all the brake components were factory items. Perhaps as simple as the pads and hoses?
My Johnny Campbell BITD bike "n2" came with this Braking rotor on it. Photos from the era show it with the same rotor.

I had always wondered in the bracket was a stock piece since I've never owned a stock bike I had nothing to compare it to. It looks like a stock cast piece but if it is from an "L" that makes sense.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #5053
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
My Johnny Campbell BITD bike "n2" came with this Braking rotor on it. Photos from the era show it with the same rotor.

I had always wondered in the bracket was a stock piece since I've never owned a stock bike I had nothing to compare it to. It looks like a stock cast piece but if it is from an "L" that makes sense.
That's interesting, the Braking bracket that goes with their 270mm rotor is clearly a CNC item as is different to a stock honda part. Slickwill if you get a minute, could you measure your Braking rotor to see if it is the 270mm or the 240mm that has been mentioned above?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #5054
Burkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
That's interesting, the Braking bracket that goes with their 270mm rotor is clearly a CNC item as is different to a stock honda part. Slickwill if you get a minute, could you measure your Braking rotor to see if it is the 270mm or the 240mm that has been mentioned above?
Small headlight is what you will use ??
Burkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #5055
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkey View Post
Small headlight is what you will use ??
Yes, I have one on its way. I may need to find an aftermarket insert to add the high/low and boost the power of the US light which is piss poor!