User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #256
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer: 195
But what about the cost of the phone?
It's a $1000 for most and $650-800 used and that's in North America.

I don't want this to chit chat - only for emergency and minor contact - like ETA - ( there is a 35 character freebie )
A $200 clunker I can buy monthly time on makes way more sense and that's $200 new.
Hell that's not much more than a basic tracker like Spot and I don't have to do an all or nothing like an EPIRB.

http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/sat...lobalstar.html
macdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #257
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Talking

Pulled the trigger on a unused 1600 for $180.
Figure it's good long term here or in Australia and you can hook it to a computer for email which could come in handy.

Now have to sort the rates.

Quote:
QUALCOMM GSP-1600 Satellite Phone

QUALCOMM's Globalstar Tri-Mode Portable Phone Provides:

* Global Roaming
* Satellite Coverage
* Reliable Service
* Superior Digital Voice Quality

Globalstar Tri-Mode Satellite Phones from QUALCOMM are designed to meet the needs of cellular users who already consume a very high volume of airtime, but find themselves in unavailable coverage areas where cellular is either inaccessible or incompatible. QUALCOMM's Globalstar Tri-Mode Phone compliments existing fixed and cellular telephone networks by switching from terrestrial cellular telephony to satellite telephony as required. Globalstar Tri-mode portable phone provides clear digital voice and data communications worldwide by using QUALCOMM's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology combined with a 48 Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite constellation. The Globalstar phone is designed to provide a low cost solution in areas where land line or cellular phones are inaccessible due to incompatible cellular technologies or lack of coverage. North American Wall Charger included. A Wide Range Of Globalstar Services Include:

* Voice
* Short Message Service (SMS)
* Paging
* Display position location information
* Caller ID
* Programmable Service Provider display message
* Voice Mail Services (VMS)

The QUALCOMM satellite phone communicates with the satellite constellation using CDMA technology, which has been recognized for superior voice quality, security and reliability. Using LEO satellites allows the Globalstar System to maintain lower power consumption and propagation delay, which results in a smaller sized handset with clear voice quality, comparable, and in some cases, superior to today's digital cellular networks. Click Here to view the world wide coverage map.
Useful where ever we go

anyone with provider suggestions? need open or prepaid only ...cheeeeeeeeap
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #258
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 890
Sat Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Hey guys - return to Aus time

Globalstar Coverage....

heading over in a month and considering getting a sat phone. Globalstar 1600 are cheap $200 or so and there is one kicking around for even less.

I understand their satellites are being upgraded so there are some coverage gaps

http://www.pivotel.com.au/optimum_coverage.php

Anyone have any experience with these phones and coverage

Looking at the Qualcomm 1600 tri-mode. Heavy clunk but I don't really care as I have a top case to shove it in tho I suppose a pocket might be smarter.

Thoughts? Options??

Any suggested coverage plans - this is all new to me.

TIA
Yeah, I have Macdoc. I used to use the same phone in the Northern Territory in some very Isolated parts of the Top End as a Tour guide. Never had any problems with coverage when hiking in Gorges etc. There's a little pain in the arse delay with the transmission. I am pretty sure ours were iridium network which is global coverage and calls were about $1.00 per minute, so resonably expensive but ideal for those emergency calls or I am OK calls that can be quick. The handset was the same as the one in your photo.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #259
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Would have to be Globalstar but that's about correct on the price. $1.07 they tell me for Aussie rates but for 9 months here it's $40 a month unlimited talk and data on a special deal just now so that's good as even in North America there are lots of dead zones for cell and roaming charges are a killer.

Can't wait to get there....riding season definitely over here

Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #260
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Anyone keen for a ride possibly next Friday the 11th of January?
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #261
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Ride

Hi galbo950, was primed and ready to go then found out at the Christmas break that the contract for March has been brought forward so I am in for weekends only until Feb 18 then anything goes.

Was really looking forward to pestering the hell out of Macdoc for weekday rides too with his limited time here!

Did you get the new XR Fella up the hill of death? I Look forward to tackling it again.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by galbo950 View Post
Anyone keen for a ride possibly next Friday the 11th of January?

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #262
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Yeah since he's still limping Ken might slow down enough for me.

Not sure how well this will handle in the mud tho

want to tour this year and this gem popped up. Just hoping it's still around.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #263
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Looks nice, you can store it at my place whilst you back home in Canada.

Quote:
Yeah since he's still limping Ken might slow down enough for me.

Not sure how well this will handle in the mud tho

want to tour this year and this gem popped up. Just hoping it's still around.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #264
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Big thanks to you and Ken seeing this through
Cant' wait - tho I did get out on the Burgman today. Figured I'd better not get too rusty as that ST is a bit more handful than the KLR.

got up to 6 and going to 14 which is crazy for mid-January here.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #265
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

hah - it was MEANT to be.

Got one of the free Honda kickstand plates at Rock the Red last year even tho I did not need it on the Burgman.

Sure will need it in the heat in Aus.....and damn it matches the bike

;)

Got out for a couple hours today at 6 degrees or so and sunny. Lovely ride and we do have some very minor twisties here. - this is the Niagara Escarpment area.

and some overwintering geese

macdoc screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:26 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #266
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Some fun getting out of Glen's spread in Koah.
8 point turn in the shed, u turn on gravel to get around the shed.. bit of a ditch onto the road thanks to the rain and then down the hill and across the planks complete with sand bar.

Blasted up the other side and had fun on the Kuranda range road.

Got in 180k today up to Port Douglas and then up a very messy Rex ( debris ).
Across to Mareeba - got a few bird shots on the way and then back through Kuranda and over to Mulgrave to get a battery for the KLR.

Seriously hot on the ST1100 at 38 degrees and pottering around in the sun to get the battery. That motor puts out a lot of heat.
Bike loves the open road tho.

KLR is ready to go now so might try a little jaunt in the cooler parts of the rain forest tomorrow. Try out the new seat.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #267
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

It wasn't that bad to get it out of my place.... Just think of it as part of the adventure thing anyway. Just remember I've been doing that for the last 3 years. At least you were lucky enough to have wheel ruts to follow through the sand, you should try it straight after the bridge floods and no one else has been through the fresh soft sand that is a foot high. As for the 8 point manoeuvre, I had to put the river pump somewhere, I only got it out 5 minutes prior to it about to go under water.

Quote:
Some fun getting out of Glen's spread in Koah.
8 point turn in the shed, u turn on gravel to get around the shed.. bit of a ditch onto the road thanks to the rain and then down the hill and across the planks complete with sand bar.

Blasted up the other side and had fun on the Kuranda range road.

Got in 180k today up to Port Douglas and then up a very messy Rex ( debris ).
Across to Mareeba - got a few bird shots on the way and then back through Kuranda and over to Mulgrave to get a battery for the KLR.

Seriously hot on the ST1100 at 38 degrees and pottering around in the sun to get the battery. That motor puts out a lot of heat.
Bike loves the open road tho.

KLR is ready to go now so might try a little jaunt in the cooler parts of the rain forest tomorrow. Try out the new seat.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #268
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

hehe ....
key point

Quote:
I've been doing that for the last 3 years
and this was my first 10 minutes on a new ride to traverse your little obstacle course.
Glad the weight is down low - only nervous point was the down hill as that front brake is uncertain but worked out okay - little speed across the bridge and just let it roll through the sand. Yes I was quite happy there were tracks.
Jude says - just follow the tracks.......sure.....

Anyways all well. Must be fun some wet mornings for you.

macdoc screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 04:07 AM
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #269
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Even greater fun when that bridge is over and I have to go out on the other road which is about 4km of mud and corrugations.

Anyways all well. Must be fun some wet mornings for you.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #270
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

I wondered where that road went.

back to night time rides. Now I have something with decent lights and so bloody hot in the day - is it reasonable to ride at night say along the Cook Highway?

I have to work remotely early in the morning so can't always get out but I regularly ride at night at home and would love to d a bit here even if at modest speeds.

How bad is it out there?
I did notice a lot of dead animal smell coming from the top of the Rex to Mareeba yesterday.
Are the roads that over run with critters at night???

The KLR is nicer to potter around on but it's sucky lights on it. Seems a shame to waste the coolest time cooped up for fear of critters on the road :(