Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #1381
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Those are some nice photos.. your camera must rival the Terra.

What rpm does the rev limiter kick in at?
1) Nikon D7000.....love it.

2) Not below 6,000 rpm....that's as far as I've wound mine up so far. Another 100 miles and the first oil change, then I'll let her rip till I hit the Limiter, and let you know.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #1382
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,139
Had my Strada out yesterday afternoon with Gerbings Jacket liner and gloves. Ended up riding about 100 miles of these fantastic Smokey Mountains roads. The Strada is as solid as a rock and clearly on rails. Speeds were as high as 101, easily attainable, to putzing 30 to 40. No hint of vagueness at all at speed, loved the sweepers. Very impressive little bike, smooth as silk, great 4th gear, had it to 7,500 R's in 4th in a hard over sweeper, on rails.

No comparison at all to my previous KLR and G650GS.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #1383
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Road tested the Pelican 2450 on my Strada. (See #1366) 225 miles later I'm pleased. Ran up to 90 GPS MPH on a few stretches, I did not feel any difference in the handling, which can be an issue when you add that much bulk. I'm about as wide as the case, which likely helps. I did not have any significant cross winds, I suspect I would feel those more. After a few miles I forgot the box was back there. I did have to modify my mount to go right leg over the seat vs. right leg swing over the tail, and similar dismount technique mods. One looks like an idiot when you try to put your foot through the topcase!

My other concern was mileage, but it looks to have no effect. I got my average 48MPG when riding as usual. HOWEVER, I did do an unrelated mileage test to see what I could get out it if I really tried to maximize MPG. I got 57MPG, an all time record. I'll never do that again though. I had to keep it below 60MPH, choose a flat/straight route, and gently roll on the throttle all of the time. I nearly fell asleep! 9 MPG is well worth unleashing this bike.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #1384
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I own a DRZ and would love to get a more comfortable ride. Does it feel 100 lbs heavier, I think seat height plays a roll.Please bash away at my d.s. and continue the Husky ego stroking. Maybe I'll quit lurking and buy one.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #1385
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Does it feel 100 lbs heavier
Not until it gets too far over center to stop.....
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #1386
LeGitan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
Same engine but different head, cam, timing, compression...
The Husky engine is tuned to run the way it does, with the Husky ignition and F.I. management.
Running it with the BMW ignition and fuel management may not get the results you are looking for.
Plus the fact the use of different heads may cause a problem with air box hook up.
The plan was to try and transplant the engine with F.I. and ignition computers over but I since have overcome my fear of opening up the engine and will probably do a rebuild instead...

Thanks for your input!
LeGitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #1387
Scalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Terra vs XChallenge

I see there's a lot of stuff around about how the Terra fares versus the KLR.

I can see the point as it could be considered as an alternative. However, I think a really useful and valid compariosn would be against the X650 BMWs, Xchallenge, Xcountry....

On paper, there are a lot of simmilarities, but also some significant differences. I think if somebody could make it past the pure specsheet comparison into real facts, this could be priceles for many...

The X BMWs made up for an almost perfect base for Adventure biking, as many riders here have proved. The Terra shows some apparent improvements (larger fuel tank, is currently being produced so you can get a brand new one, already has a steel subframe...) but also some shortcomings;

-Apparently much heavier
-Requires higher Octan
-Higher fuel consumption

Apart from that, yes, suspension can be improved, etc; but all this are things you can easly sort out (may be pricey, but feasible), I instead see no easy way to reduce 22KG , and wonder for an instance what's the real impact of this weight difference.

It seems clear the bike would be more off-road capable than a KLR, but what about the Xc? And is anybody able to estimate, based on their experience, which one would have the highest limit off-road?

Personally, I've been sine long ago setting up for "the long one" all across Asia, which shall take place once I'm dismissed from my current obbligations (expected Jan '14); I have now a route, some necessary training, languages learned.. and some 15 months ahead of me on which to choose and prepare the final bike -and getting the whole thing "real"-.

Choice for the starting point is between XCountry and Terra. Obviously both would be heavily modified. The Terra has the added benefit of a -small- degree of support from the importer, but rather than that, would appear to be one step back from the Xc....

Any inputs?

Thanks!!
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #1388
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalex View Post
Any inputs?
Yes, 93 previous pages of inputs.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #1389
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
I agree there are a lot of similarities between the X bikes and the Terra. If I was to replace my X-Challenge, I would seriously consider replacing it with the Terra versus having to modify another XChallenge.

That said, perhaps the biggest difference is the suspension travel. It looks like the Terra has 190mm front and rear, while the XChallenge has 270mm front and rear (X-Country is 240/210). That's pretty substantial, but I think the bigger question is whether you will actually use that difference.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #1390
Scalex
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
Yes, 93 previous pages of inputs.
Funny.. Because missing a 93 pages comparison Xchallenge vs Terra it's really something, for a missing...

I think the answer was there right a s first sentence in my post "I see there's a lot of stuff around about how the Terra fares versus the KLR.".......

Now seriously... ;

Quote:
If I was to replace my X-Challenge, I would seriously consider replacing it with the Terra versus having to modify another XChallenge.
That's appretiated feedback! Shall I then assume that the weight difference doesn't seem relevant according to your experience with the Xchallenge?

I'm sort of assuming I'll need to upgrade the suspension too anyway; as said travel is short on the Terra, and as well for long distance adv travel you add a fair amount of weight to the bike; not only at the rear but all around, and front end is not adjustable...

Still that weight and octane things remain as concerns, so... I promise a full Modifications thread and of course Ride Report when time comes.. But right now I have just a few weeks before I take my final decision, so all informations and experiences are more than appreciated!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #1391
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
I have yet to even see the Terra in person, much less ride one, so I can't comment on the difference in ride. But I would think the bigger issue is where you think you would actually take the bike. I have only been on one trip where I rode in a section where I really appreciated the travel of the X-Challenge suspension. Though I'm sure the Terra would have handled it too. I might have appreciated the lower seat of the Terra since I'm pretty short.

I would imagine the weight and suspension differences mean a lot more when traveling in technical single track at higher speeds. But if you're buying a bike as a more of a lightweight adventure bike (loaded down with bags), what type of roads are you really going to encounter and how fast will you be going? I think either will do just fine on dirt roads and double track. If I am on single track, it is because I'm on my way to a campsite or something similar. My concern is simply getting there, not getting there fast. The lower seat height of the Terra may be more comforting than the suspension travel on some trails. But that's me. If you're a guy who loves blasting through the woods regardless, you may find the Terra way too cumbersome for your style. In that case, maybe the X-Challenge would be better or the TE610/630 or a KTM. My main concern is just getting from A to B and being able to pick up my bike - So my X works well for me, but I think the Terra would as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #1392
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
I would imagine the weight and suspension differences mean a lot more when traveling in technical single track at higher speeds. But if you're buying a bike as a more of a lightweight adventure bike (loaded down with bags), what type of roads are you really going to encounter and how fast will you be going? I think either will do just fine on dirt roads and double track. If I am on single track, it is because I'm on my way to a campsite or something similar. My concern is simply getting there, not getting there fast. The lower seat height of the Terra may be more comforting than the suspension travel on some trails. But that's me. If you're a guy who loves blasting through the woods regardless, you may find the Terra way too cumbersome for your style.
Exactly,speed is the divining factor.I have taken the Terra thru several sections of washed out rutted two track on the side of some W Va mountains with no problems,it feels light,well balanced and is easy to control with its butter smooth throttle,in fact my personal opinion is its easier to ride thru the rough than my WRR.

HOWEVER.....The suspension/weight will not allow the same speeds as I ride the WRR.Not a problem for me,I get older every day and don't need to go that fast....
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #1393
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Road tested the Pelican 2450 on my Strada. (See #1366) 225 miles later I'm pleased. Ran up to 90 GPS MPH on a few stretches, I did not feel any difference in the handling, which can be an issue when you add that much bulk. I'm about as wide as the case, which likely helps. I did not have any significant cross winds, I suspect I would feel those more. After a few miles I forgot the box was back there. I did have to modify my mount to go right leg over the seat vs. right leg swing over the tail, and similar dismount technique mods. One looks like an idiot when you try to put your foot through the topcase!

My other concern was mileage, but it looks to have no effect. I got my average 48MPG when riding as usual. HOWEVER, I did do an unrelated mileage test to see what I could get out it if I really tried to maximize MPG. I got 57MPG, an all time record. I'll never do that again though. I had to keep it below 60MPH, choose a flat/straight route, and gently roll on the throttle all of the time. I nearly fell asleep! 9 MPG is well worth unleashing this bike.
A personal question:
How's your ass?
When I sat on the bike it at the show, I didn't find the seat too bad, but certainly on the firm side.I'm curious how many hours would be do-able with the stock seat.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #1394
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
A personal question:
How's your ass?
When I sat on the bike it at the show, I didn't find the seat too bad, but certainly on the firm side.I'm curious how many hours would be do-able with the stock seat.
Surprisingly good.....though it remains a mystery to me. I spent 4 hours in the saddle the other day, and I never got uncomfortable or any serious butt fatigue. Just crazy! I did start to get a bit of ache in my knees due to the more compact position from the lower seat height (closer seat to peg spacing) than I'm accustomed to. But, it's quite easy to stand up on the Terra for a stretch. I may change the pegs to something I can lower a bit and move forward....to open my legs a bit.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1395
Scalex
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
Exactly,speed is the divining factor.I have taken the Terra thru several sections of washed out rutted two track on the side of some W Va mountains with no problems,it feels light,well balanced and is easy to control with its butter smooth throttle,in fact my personal opinion is its easier to ride thru the rough than my WRR.

HOWEVER.....The suspension/weight will not allow the same speeds as I ride the WRR.Not a problem for me,I get older every day and don't need to go that fast....
I couldn't agree more; my concern when thinking about weight is more related to those tricky situations you may encounter in difficult sections; after many tyring days, in the middle of nowhere...

I am not of the "blasting" kind, and even less so when adventure travelling, where I would tend to take an extra safety margin in all situations..

However I've have had so far some pretty big bikes like the current 990 KTM, previously a 12GSA. Africa Twin... and whilst excellent bikes that you can ride almost everywhere, the effort it requires to do so is quite higher than with a lighter bike.

Particularly, when trying to wrest your bike trough mud and sand I've noticed that even a few Kg or pounds made a difference for me, but I've never been in the 150kg league... those beasts where all well over 200, and even 300 when fully loaded!

That's maybe why I'm a bit paranoic about weight, after suffering it so much...