ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #31
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,805
This sounds like something I'm looking for. As it runs Windows CE5 it should be able to run Oziexplorer (which I've been running on an HP Ipaq for years now).
How does this go in sunlight, is the screen easy to read or (as in the case for my IPAQ) near impossible to see in the day?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Hartyman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Peaklife gps

just bought one from china and was worried about the maps. no need it came with maps of australia and am amazed at all the extras.:
Hartyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #33
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,805
Thumb

Just got mine today... definately a lot heavier (substantial) than I expected. Screen is the same size as the Ipaq PDA I'd been using. Loaded up Oziexplorer and maps. The short test on the way home, it seems to pick up satellites reasonably fast and thus location pretty quick. So far so good.
2 mounting kits (1 handlebar, 1 windscreen).
The supplied OS utils are typical Chinese software, it works, but pretty crap. However this is not why I bought it, so it shouldn't really be an issue.
Things to change...
boot up screen. It's sold as a motorcycle gps, so why is there a picture of a car???
ability to turn off the bluetooth, currently it doesn't look like it can be turned off.
ability to select different gps programs from startup. It would be nice to have choice of tomtom and oziexplorer.

overall, looks ok, will need to wait till the weekend to wire up to the bike and test it more.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #34
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,293
I have installed OziexplorerCE and it looks like its all running ok. But when I turn on the find a gps location it says it finds one and goes back to the map. But it isn't showing the location and then it freezes. Anyone had the same issue?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Recently got one. Fantastic deal for $122CDN especially considering all the included mounting hardware for bike and car (bike power supply, car power supply, bike cradle, car cradle, handle bar mount, windshield mount), the water proof and shock proof case, and the glove operable touch screen. Never got charged taxes either for some reason. Hardware is of very good quality and installed Igo Primo which seems like good quality software. Also installed Navtec map files for North America which work well.

Is there an easy way to export custom routes to this unit?

Voice prompts are terrific. Unit is water proof after two rides in the rain and shock proof after a few drops on pavement from waist height.

Recently installed on the bike with a SW-Motech mounting plate designed for the Garmin Zumo. The holes lined up with the Peaklife motorcycle cradle but I had to use my grinder to take 2mm off the top lip of the plate to allow for a protrusion from the cradle for the power cable.

Feel free to PM me if you need software help.

Sorry about the picture quality my camera phone over exposed.
Attached Images

outsidein screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 09:09 AM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #36
polanskiman
who's Z?

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlas View Post
I did get the garmin XT version working on this unit but it was a huge mission, requires software port-emulators and some scripting and although it worked in the end, it doesn't work well and I don't recommend it on this unit.

I also got tomtom to work on this unit which was much easier to get working but also won't let me import tracks or any kind of route file.

Again, if you find something that works, do let me know!
Hello Normlas,

Would you mind explaining how you made Tomtom Work on the Peaklife GPS unit. I am struggling. I have Tomtom Navigator 7.910.9185 and the lastest maps 865, 885 and 895 and it just wont work. Once I select a map it either crashes or tells me that the Activation failed.

Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
polanskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #37
polanskiman
who's Z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polanskiman View Post
Hello Normlas,

Would you mind explaining how you made Tomtom Work on the Peaklife GPS unit. I am struggling. I have Tomtom Navigator 7.910.9185 and the lastest maps 865, 885 and 895 and it just wont work. Once I select a map it either crashes or tells me that the Activation failed.

Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
I finally figures out how to make it work. I still have one question though. I don't seem to see any Bluetooth option within the Tomtom preferences. Did you managed to make Bleutooth work?

Cheers and thanks for the answer.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #38
Normlas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
I finally figures out how to make it work. I still have one question though. I don't seem to see any Bluetooth option within the Tomtom preferences. Did you managed to make Bleutooth work?

Cheers and thanks for the answer.
Hiya Polanskiman, sorry but I never got the bluetooth to work because the headset I had was stuffed, I've since sold the bike with the peaklife and when I ordered another one from chinavision they had sold out - I ended up forking out for a garmin Nuvi, spent around $400 and wish it was as good as the peaklife - the Nuvi is a huge disapointment.
Normlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #39
polanskiman
who's Z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlas View Post
Hiya Polanskiman, sorry but I never got the bluetooth to work because the headset I had was stuffed, I've since sold the bike with the peaklife and when I ordered another one from chinavision they had sold out - I ended up forking out for a garmin Nuvi, spent around $400 and wish it was as good as the peaklife - the Nuvi is a huge disapointment.
Hey Normlas,

Thanks a bunch for your answer. Bluetooth seems to be a problem with this version of Tomtom Navigation. I actually managed to make it somehow work. I first have to pair the headset with the Peaklife, then launch Tomtom. This however is less than ideal as Tomtom is not managing the Bluetooth in any way and therefore I cannot listen to my MP3s while hearing the Tomtom's guidance instructions...they just overlap in terms of volume. IGO8 however manages this nicely and reduces the MP3 volume when necessary but I really don't like IGO. It is more complicated and has loads of options unnecessary specially on a motorcycle.

Why didn't you go for the Tomtom Rider Pro? It seems to be a good GPS...apart from the price of course!!

Cheers.

PS: did you managed,when you had the Peaklife, to Access Win CE OS?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #40
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

iGo Primo, which is the latest version of iGo is even better. It is the software I would recommend for this unit. It uses Navtec maps.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #41
polanskiman
who's Z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
iGo Primo, which is the latest version of iGo is even better. It is the software I would recommend for this unit. It uses Navtec maps.
Hello Outsidein,

Would you mind telling me what is better with the IGO Primo compared to the IGO8 ?

Thanks and Cheers.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #42
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hello Outsidein,

Would you mind telling me what is better with the IGO Primo compared to the IGO8 ?

Thanks and Cheers.
I Go Primo is simply the next iteration of the iGo software from iGo 8. The iGo site has a description on what's new with it.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #43
histguy
Histguy

Oddometer: 38
Has anyone gotten this unit to sync up with a Sena SMH10 via bluetooth? If so, they just sold another one!

Thanks.
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #44
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

It will sync fine with anything bluetooth. It comes with Windows CE which has lots of blue tooth support. The big issue is getting hold of the Navtec maps and iGo Primo software. They have shut down the GPS Underground where I got my software. Does anyone else know where this can be downloaded?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #45
histguy
Histguy

Oddometer: 38
Thanks for the good news on the bluetooth functionality. In researching further I found this helpful post here about the Peaklife's bluetooth capability. Note the potential issue of using this GPS along with the music streaming functions of your smartphone. Not a concern for me as I don't listen to music when I ride, but it may be for others.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...Motorcycle-GPS
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote