User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #3871
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Well, last night got expensive.

Been putting off ordering some stuff for a while, finally pulled the trigger on all of it. Didn't plan on buying everything at once, but oh well. It's only money.

HT nerf bar/skid plate combo.
HT nerf bags
Wolfman luggage set
16T front sproket
D606's front and rear.

I knew I was wanting the nerf bars with the bags on them. Been going back and forth on what saddlebags to get. The Wolfman seems good from what I've been reading, guess I'll find out for sure. My cheapo throwovers I have don't fit very well, so I needed something.

I might get the 606's studded for winter use. I've never ridden with studs, but I hear they actually work pretty good.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #3872
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroken View Post
Not exactly. The taillight bulb has two filaments. The actual taillight is 5W. Applying the brake lights the second 21W filament, for a total of 26W. These numbers are from the factory service manual.

So the only significant number here is the 5W, as I find I often release the brake and actually go somewhere.
Did I read a hint of sarcasm? lol. To be completely forthright I also upgraded the rear to an LED unit but did so for safety vs trying to save wattage...I did save a whole 2.1 watts on the running side and 4.2 watts on the brake side. Whoohoo!

btw...I've seen worthless OEM connectors suck up more power than saved by going to an LED rear light.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #3873
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,963
Anybody try the Saddleman Adventure Track seat for the KLR?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #3874
Tinker1980
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorguy1979 View Post
I made my own links too, how much did difference in length did you go?
That pair is 4.5" center to center. I think the stockers are a little less than 5.5" center to center. It's easily 1.5"-2" taller. Handles a bit nicer, soaks up the bumps, but of course, I had to adjust the headlight. I have a 34" inseam and I tiptoe it.
Tinker1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #3875
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Well, last night got expensive.

Been putting off ordering some stuff for a while, finally pulled the trigger on all of it. Didn't plan on buying everything at once, but oh well. It's only money.

HT nerf bar/skid plate combo.
HT nerf bags
Wolfman luggage set
16T front sproket
D606's front and rear.

I knew I was wanting the nerf bars with the bags on them. Been going back and forth on what saddlebags to get. The Wolfman seems good from what I've been reading, guess I'll find out for sure. My cheapo throwovers I have don't fit very well, so I needed something.

I might get the 606's studded for winter use. I've never ridden with studs, but I hear they actually work pretty good.
I have been very happy with the Wolfman luggage, watertight and durable. I have also gone to the 16 tooth front sprocket as the KLR is my daily commute machine and the 16 takes the revs down a bit on the open road.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #3876
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
That pair is 4.5" center to center. I think the stockers are a little less than 5.5" center to center. It's easily 1.5"-2" taller. Handles a bit nicer, soaks up the bumps, but of course, I had to adjust the headlight. I have a 34" inseam and I tiptoe it.
I believe this is correct. Raising links that are 0.5" shorter raise the bike 1" and 1" shorter links raise the bike 2". At least that's the gist I got when shopping for them from Eagle Mike.

But, no I didn't buy any. All too often, I find my toes grasping for a dab when riding offroad. Figured my added clearance would be offset by added drops...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #3877
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
btw...I've seen worthless OEM connectors suck up more power than saved by going to an LED rear light.
Or how about a long run of thin wire to the brake light.

It starts off with an OK gauge of white going from the battery and fuse to the ignition switch. Then it changes to thinner wire going out to the left switches where it's not switched but simply connects to a different color to return to the center then back to the other fuse then forward again to the two brake switches then back to the light fixture.

There must be over 15 ft of thin wire for the brake light -- a guarantee of voltage drop even at just 2.5 amps.

When I was setting up a redundant LED brake/tail light, I was amazed at the low voltage on the brake circuit compared to the reasonable voltage on the taillight. I had cleaned and greased all the electrical connectors about 2 months before adding the LEDs. Remove the incandescent bulb and the voltage improves because the voltage drop in wire is proportional to the amperage.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #3878
Dan in Grand Rapids
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Same here, looks good.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Which bedliner did you use? I use the Duplicolor and it looks okay in spots, but I had a HECK of a time getting it to adhere in places and it crinkled up like crazy. I am considering doing it all again.

Did you spray the frame, swingarm, forks,rims with the same bedliner? How is it holding up? I would like an all black bike, but I would think that the forks and rims would just get scratched up really quickly.

Which Pelican is that? 1450?

Thanks!
I used Rustoleum and Duplicolor to coat the bike, but I think I used more cans of Rustoleum. It came out really well and I did minimal prep work. I just lightly sanded, wiped it off and sprayed. It has now held up for 3 years while riding through the winters in Michigan. I never wash the bike, but I spray the salt off semi regularly in the winter. The frame, forks, and wheels I brushed on the coating and it still looks perfect. The bedliner is so thick that when brushed on the brush strokes don't even show up. All the places I brushed it on look like it was sprayed. When I spoon on new tires in the spring I will probably scrape some off the rims, but I can fix it in 5 minutes with a cheap brush and a little bedliner.

The pelican was a cheap ebay purchase about 6 years ago, and I think it is a 1500. A construction company was selling used orange pelican cases with holes cut in them for laptop fans for $10 a piece. I bought 3 of them and filled in the holes with plastic and epoxy and painted black. Doesn't look pretty or perfect, but it is on a KLR.
Dan in Grand Rapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #3879
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Grand Rapids View Post
I used Rustoleum and Duplicolor to coat the bike
Awesome, thanks for the info. I think I'll be redoing mine with the Rustoleum!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #3880
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroken View Post
Not exactly. The taillight bulb has two filaments. The actual taillight is 5W. Applying the brake lights the second 21W filament, for a total of 26W. These numbers are from the factory service manual.

So the only significant number here is the 5W, as I find I often release the brake and actually go somewhere.
Yes. The stock incandescent bulb has two filaments. You are correct.
And they do burn some wattage.
But the LED tail/brake light uses the same bulbs for both purposes.
And even with the brake on, the LED burns less than the stock tail light alone.

And I prefer to stop and stay at red lights and be gawked at by all the people jealous of my KLR. It's a babe magnet.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #3881
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
I believe this is correct. Raising links that are 0.5" shorter raise the bike 1" and 1" shorter links raise the bike 2". At least that's the gist I got when shopping for them from Eagle Mike.

But, no I didn't buy any. All too often, I find my toes grasping for a dab when riding offroad. Figured my added clearance would be offset by added drops...
I am running the raising links in conjunction with a Moab shock built to take advantage of the height increase. That and the progressive front springs, flat corbin saddle raise the seat height to 37". But the suspension really is completely different, better, than stock.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #3882
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
I have been very happy with the Wolfman luggage, watertight and durable. I have also gone to the 16 tooth front sprocket as the KLR is my daily commute machine and the 16 takes the revs down a bit on the open road.
Same as what I've been seeing, thanks. The nerf bars was kind of a guess, for every person that likes them another guy took them off. I'll find out for sure as soon as everything gets here

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #3883
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
. . . the voltage improves because the voltage drop in wire is proportional to the amperage.
Or, as Mr. Ohm once said,
Quote:
E = IR; Voltage equals Current times Resistance.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #3884
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post

Nice, I went 3/4" shorter on mine, seems to have changed the geometry enough that the stock shock is happier, I went from preload 5 to 1, and am still higher than stock. Makes a world of difference, even with the Stearns seat cover on it I as still flat footed, but at 6'5" I like it taller.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #3885
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Just installed the following this past week,

IMS 10 GAL tank
EBC big brake kit
Galfer ss line
Oxford heaterz grips
Eastern Beaver fuse block
Hardwired USB charging port for standard, micro and iPhone charging.
MSR folding shift lever
Tool tube
Waterproof iPhone holder

This is on top of my already installed SW rear rack plate, HT tenton side cans, HT highway pegs, skid plate, bark busters, doo, Thermo Bob, volt monitor, rear master guard, hid low beam, led flashimg brake light, led turn signals, led dash and indicator lights, and a few other things I am sure I am forgetting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2