User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
dogmoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
GSA tank bag

I just bought a new 2013 GS Adventure and would like some feedback on the GSA Tank Bag, pros cons and what not! Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 417
sold my tank bag and got a tailgunner - it's lockable
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I have the BMW GSA specific tank bag. It's a nice piece and has lots of room. I like the easy pullback without disconnecting anything.
It's a little difficult to hook it, but you'll adapt a method that works best for you.
I was even considering adding a small pull to the plate to make it even easier. I can put my DSLR in it and still have
my clear visor at the top of the bag and not worry about damage. I have enough room for gloves and my GPS too.
It also has a removable pouch, but I just use it to store my visor cleaning stuff for easy access when fueling.
It's a little pricey, but all BMW tanks bags are. I like mine. I added some clear film over the paint to protect it from wear marking. It also helps protect it from dirt getting under it and scratching the paint.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Stinkyb
GS"eh" rider

Oddometer: 355
I have the earlier model gsa bag, it is way too big for what I do. Im gonna downsize to maybe a giant loop fandango
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Rka

I purchesed the largest RKA tank bag available (it is expandable) along with the RKA pannier and top box liners. The TB has a number of external zippered pockets, two zippered main compartments, map case and rain cover. It also has a provision for wiring a power outlet into the main compartment from the front or rear. Three point mounting allows refueling by releasing a single snap, tilt the bag forward for gas cap access. Fueling can be accomplished without ever dismounting. Love mine.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
There's tons of threads about GSA tank bags. Seems they're about as personal as seats I've put just about every tank bag on that's out there with the exception of the Bags Connection bags. I assume you're talking about the BMW bags, but which size? The large is very cavernous and I sold it after it was installed. It was like having a duffle bag on my tank. The small bag is decent, but the plastic map case is very thin and has a reputation for yellowing on the BMW tank bags. If you're gonna spend that kind of $$ on a tank bag (BMW), I'd look closely at the Touratech bags or the Bags Connection GS bag. I'm cheap so I always bought my bags used at half of retail. That's probably why I haven't bought a BC bag because the mounting ring is $75 alone for the newer GS bikes. My GSA is sporting the TT Day Trip bag right now and I'm very happy with it. The great thing about the TT bags is the bottom is molded to the GSA tank so they don't slide around like many of the other brands.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
UAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I have the large BMW Adventure bag on my GS. I really like it as I refuse to buy a tank bag that requires a separate rain cover. The BMW is waterproof and I did not have any seepage even in three days of Pacific Northwest rain. The unzip for fueling is kind of a pain but with the giant tank on the Adventure I don't find it that bad.

Best of luck as there are a lot of choices out there.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Stinkyb
GS"eh" rider

Oddometer: 355
Partial thread hijack, with the gs bags connection, whats the clearance to handlebars like? With tank ring mounted all the way back
I ask this cause I roll with 2" illium risers and fasstco flexx bars(crossbars) and dont want to find out the hard way it wont work without compromising my setup.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
dogmoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAS View Post
I have the large BMW Adventure bag on my GS. I really like it as I refuse to buy a tank bag that requires a separate rain cover. The BMW is waterproof and I did not have any seepage even in three days of Pacific Northwest rain. The unzip for fueling is kind of a pain but with the giant tank on the Adventure I don't find it that bad.

Best of luck as there are a lot of choices out there.
Thanks UAS that is the one I bought and I agree on the seperate rain fly. Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
I just bought a new 2013 GS Adventure and would like some feedback on the GSA Tank Bag, pros cons and what not! Thanks
I have a GSA tank bag in good condition for sale if you are interested. Just PM. Thanks.

DH
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 451
The BMW one needs a bit of extra cross bracing. If doing even light off road the bag slides over to one side and really kind of buggers things up. Holds a ton of stuff but that is the one problem i had
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
vipers28
GSA Mountains

Oddometer: 108
My dealer sold me a BMW tank bag for my GSA. Only problem was it was for a GS. So I had to modify the bracket that holds it under the seat. After a long off road ride it is safe to say I hate tank bags. I would prefer one that fits on my rear seat or rack.

Every time you fuel it has to come off. If your doing technical riding the bag on the tank gets in the way.

I would look for other options.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
dogmoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank Bag

Thanks everyone for your input I decided to go with the BMW GS Tank Bag!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
Thanks everyone for your input I decided to go with the BMW GS Tank Bag!
Good luck keeping it in place. Opinions and choices are what makes the world go 'round mate.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
Big Adventure bag here. It's a royal pain in the ass to zip the thing up with gloves on. That said, it's waterproof and big enough to hold anything I need it to. The removable pouch is perfectly sized for my GPS. I've had an issue with the protective covering coming off of the foam that rests on the tank, but that's easily fixed with a glue stick.