Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #226
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
I'm considering a 2012 WR450F but am concerned about some of the negatives the press is throwing at it.

From motorcycleusa.com http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/276/13...-Shootout.aspx

"Power output isn’t the issue for our testers, but controlling the engine does cause some concern. First of all, as Martin alluded to, getting the dang thing to start with its button takes an act of Congress. We put it to the test constantly during our photo shoots and not one of us could find a secret to getting it lit. Kicking works pretty well, but who wants to do that? Also, the drivetrain received poor marks, worst in the test, primarily because of its YZ450F-derived clutch. It takes Herculean strength to engage and it fades at the mere thought of fanning."

Are any of these issues founded?
The bike is set up to pass the green sticker requirements for California, which accounts for a computer that is set up to keep emmisions way down. From what I've read the competition ECU allows for a big change in the mapping and cures the hard start issues. In addition you can get a programmer that allows you to tailor the power to your situation.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #227
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
anyone got rough mileage estimates before you've had to do cam chains, top end or bottom end work?
I was at about 3500 miles when I had to rebuild my top end. Pretty sure it would have gone longer but my friend dumped it in some deep water that got into the motor. Other than that I have had zero problems with the bike (2003). I have made mine street legal as well and other than eating tires on the road it's great
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #228
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Tell me who makes the DS kit you used? The seat, which brand is it?
Rumble
that is a Seatconcepts TALL seat; which I happen to make!
The dual sport kit is actually all factory Yamaha; came off of an Austrailian Wr! ( they are street legal in AU.)
The bike was a project bike for IMS (tanks) and was sold to one of there employees after they were done with it.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #229
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
I'm considering a 2012 WR450F but am concerned about some of the negatives the press is throwing at it.... Are any of these issues founded?
problem is a test like that is usually from the perspective of hard core riders doing hard core riding. over the years the WR consistently doesn't do well in a shoot out because it is a bit heavier, not quite as a fast, and till recently the suspension has been too soft.

but this thread is looking at the WR from a small adventure bike angle so most of their comments will be fairly irrelevant. then issues like reliability, ability to increase the oil capacity, usable power, fuel economy, big aftermarket tanks, ability to strap on luggage and plush suspension are more important. usually the WR has done most of these things better compared to the same bikes. just my three cents worth...
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #230
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
2012 Yamaha WR450F

I really want to like this bike. Easy enough to increase fuel capacity, lower it a bit, get it registered (at least in NH where all we need is headlight, taillight, brake light, horn and mirror), seat upgrade, strap on a Giant Loop and bolt on a rear rack. How would the bike run with the competition kit ECU (standard map) and the OEM muffler with the small restrictor removed? I think the race ECU is the only way to alleviate the hard starting problem by providing more fuel.

Given the OEM taillight has a built in LED brake light. anyone make a black plastic sub fender for a license plate? Baja Designs has one without light but doubt it would fit without modifying quite a bit.

Anyone make pannier racks to be able to use a set of Wolfman waterproof bags?

Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #231
nrspence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I was wondering about the racks myself.

Love me some motorbike riding!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #232
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,323
wait for Wachs to come out with his new lineup next spring and go for those.. of if you need something now get a giant loop. pannier racks on a dirt bike is a bad idea.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #233
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Can anyone recommend a source for .52kg fork springs for an 04 WR450F ???

Eibach doesn't import the .52 anymore and nobody else seems to make them that stiff.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #234
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
House of Horsepower can get you anything you want. They are made by Cannon racecraft in OK.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #235
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
House of Horsepower can get you anything you want. They are made by Cannon racecraft in OK.

Perfect, thank you. Just sent them an email.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #236
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Since it looks like it should be pretty easy to get one of these plated in MN, these bikes have really gotten my attention.
Assuming I could find a left over carbed bike at a significant markdown, is there any reason to spend the extra $$$ for the f-i? I'm a fan of fuel-injection, it worked great on my wr250r, but if I could save a couple grand and get a carbed bike, I would probably go that route. If I trailered the bike to Colorado to ride some of the high passes would a carbed bike need to be rejetted (I'm at about 1k feet here)? Would it be a big hassle, or not so much?

I haven't had a carbed bike since 2005, and I've never had one up at high elevations, so forgive me if the questions seem pretty noobish.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #237
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Since it looks like it should be pretty easy to get one of these plated in MN, these bikes have really gotten my attention.
Assuming I could find a left over carbed bike at a significant markdown, is there any reason to spend the extra $$$ for the f-i? I'm a fan of fuel-injection, it worked great on my wr250r, but if I could save a couple grand and get a carbed bike, I would probably go that route. If I trailered the bike to Colorado to ride some of the high passes would a carbed bike need to be rejetted (I'm at about 1k feet here)? Would it be a big hassle, or not so much?

I haven't had a carbed bike since 2005, and I've never had one up at high elevations, so forgive me if the questions seem pretty noobish.

My 08 needed an DynaTech programable CDI to run smoothly on road. It's a common issue with the TPS on the carbs. The DynaTech cost $290, but does fix the misfire.

I don't ride at high elevations, but that would be an issue with any carbed bike. My bike runs fine here, between 700-5000 ft.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #238
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
a mate of mine is looking at a dirt bike that will occasionally have to double as a pint sized adventure bike. he's looking at the CRF450 but i'm convinced he'd be better off with the WR450F as it should go a lot longer between engine rebuilds. i know my old 2006 WR450F had clocked up about 7000km of dirt and adventure riding with no engine work needed at all.

anyone got rough mileage estimates before you've had to do cam chains, top end or bottom end work?
On my 09 I had just under 8k miles when I rebuilt it. There was nothing that made me feel the engine was due but when I tore into it the rings and piston were just at the service limit and two of the valves were leaking (poring gas in the head). I replaced the piston, rings, all 5 valves and also did a new rod, but it was more for preventative reasons.

The bike easily could have done another 1k miles. It gets ridden very hard and 99.9% of the miles were in the dirt, including single track desert, high mtn riding, several races and everything in between. The engine was lugged, and bounced off the rev limiter everytime it was ridden.

I would guess if you ride reasonably they would get 12-15k before a rebuild. Over all a great bike.

COXR650L screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 12:41 PM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #239
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 983
fmf pipe loudness with the insert?

I'm down in Costa Rica and looking at replacing my moto with a 08 wr450f.
The bike has a FMF pipe installed (has insert) and I am concerned about it being to loud. I do not want to cause unnecessary attention. Any feedback????
I want to be able to cruise through the small community slowly and quietly.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #240
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
The bike has a FMF pipe installed (has insert) and I am concerned about it being to loud. I do not want to cause unnecessary attention. Any feedback????
I want to be able to cruise through the small community slowly and quietly.
does it come with the standard pipe? in completely stock form, it's extremely quiet. there's definitely less power but i found it would still get up and go fine when needed. then there are a series of mods you can do that gradually derestrict it and get louder. plenty of guys sell of their stock mufflers for less than $100.

like you, i wanted to cruise around without annoying people so just took out the pea shooter bit at the end, then trimmed down the tube a bit on the insert. still reasonably quiet but derestricted it enough for me.

check out the exhaust mods mentioned here.