ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 247 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #6406
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Save each route, track, and waypoint individually, as GPX files, from MapSource to a folder on your HDD, then open BaseCamp and Import them individually.
Will do. Thx. (HDD? Hard drive?) I'm old, not the most computer oriented guy on Adv. Don't hold it against me.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #6407
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Will do. Thx. (HDD? Hard drive?) I'm old, not the most computer oriented guy on Adv. Don't hold it against me.
Nah. :)

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (See, you were right!)

Just create a folder on your computer somewhere and name it something like 'MapSource Data', and copy all your files there, then import them into BaseCamp after.

See Migrating from BaseCamp (added just for you!)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #6408
gar
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Montana must do items

1. Print and read the manual
2. Montana Wiki Read this through like 5 times
3. Base Camp Wiki
4. JaVaWa Device manager download and plug your Montana in
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #6409
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
1. Print and read the manual
2. Montana Wiki Read this through like 5 times
3. Base Camp Wiki
4. JaVaWa Device manager download and plug your Montana in
You forgot: Read this thread through 5 times....that should only take about 6 months!

I still go back and read the Wikis every month or so and never fail to pick up something new or forgotten.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #6410
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I still go back and read the Wikis every month or so and never fail to pick up something new or forgotten.
That's because I keep moving stuff around to keep you on your toes!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #6411
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I could not find the answer in this thread. But a chap I just bumped into here in Laos is getting that message about incorrect battery type and for the life if me I cannot remember the fix

This is on a 600 with the Lithium ion battery inside and while charging in the rugged mount it is fine but when it is charged he gets the message

Any takers, now that my bike is rooted I probably do have time to wade through 6,000 posts but the willingness is just not showing up :)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #6412
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I could not find the answer in this thread. But a chap I just bumped into here in Laos is getting that message about incorrect battery type and for the life if me I cannot remember the fix

This is on a 600 with the Lithium ion battery inside and while charging in the rugged mount it is fine but when it is charged he gets the message

Any takers, now that my bike is rooted I probably do have time to wade through 6,000 posts but the willingness is just not showing up :)
The fix is to stuff a couple of earplugs into the battery case, under the cover.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #6413
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nah. :)

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (See, you were right!)

Just create a folder on your computer somewhere and name it something like 'MapSource Data', and copy all your files there, then import them into BaseCamp after.

See Migrating from BaseCamp (added just for you!)
Everything was going well until I imported the routes into basecamp. I get a import problems box. Error.. Unknown error opening import file. I converted the files from gdb files to gpx files when I saved them on my desktop.
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #6414
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
You might try something like this...
That's a good tutorial.

One question though..... If you already did the copy/paste of the "Garmin" directory (folder), then wouldn't step # 7 be redundant since all those files and folders would have already copied over when copying the "Garmin" directory?

I know when I do a full backup of my Montana all that stuff gets copied.

Jon...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #6415
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Everything was going well until I imported the routes into basecamp. I get a import problems box. Error.. Unknown error opening import file. I converted the files from gdb files to gpx files when I saved them on my desktop.
Sorry to hear that. I just saved/imported some routes from my MapSource to BaeCamp yesterday before I published that information without issue.

You may try saving as GDB and see what happens. Also, try transferring the *.GPX versions you saved to the GPX directory on your Montana and see if they are recognized properly by the GPSr, then attempt transfer from your Montana to BaseCamp.

If that all fails, you will need Garmin tech support, and about that I am really, really sorry...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #6416
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
That's a good tutorial.

One question though..... If you already did the copy/paste of the "Garmin" directory (folder), then wouldn't step # 7 be redundant since all those files and folders would have already copied over when copying the "Garmin" directory?

I know when I do a full backup of my Montana all that stuff gets copied.

Jon...
Could be... I was assuming the user may want to add additional/different maps and/or GPX files to the GPSr Clone. I have updated the text to reflect this.

Thank You!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #6417
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The fix is to stuff a couple of earplugs into the battery case, under the cover.
Ahhh thanks mate. I was on the right track then, and actually told him about that and the tape around the battery base as known fixes for certain problem.

I will make sure he does both before sending him back out into the wild of Laos
Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #6418
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Could be... I was assuming the user may want to add additional/different maps and/or GPX files to the GPSr Clone. I have updated the text to reflect this.

Thank You!
No need to thank me.

I should be thanking you for all the work that has gone into creating an excellent resource!

And of course all that contribute to this thread (you know who you are) deserve a big thank you.

Oh, and the edit is perfect.

Jon...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #6419
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Somethings not right

I was able to get the routes loaded as gdb files. However, none of them see to be active.
I tried loading them to the card, and to the internal memory. I see the routes in Route Planner, but when I click on the actual route it does not allow me to "go" the "go" button is active for earlier routes I tried to set up using the Montana, but not with the routes I loaded from mapsource.
When I zoom in on the route, it goes blank every other push of the + button. Then reappears when I push the + button again. Then the Montana just shuts off. It acts like it's corrupted or something. I have to keep restarting it..
Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #6420
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I was able to get the routes loaded as gdb files. However, none of them see to be active.
I tried loading them to the card, and to the internal memory. I see the routes in Route Planner, but when I click on the actual route it does not allow me to "go" the "go" button is active for earlier routes I tried to set up using the Montana, but not with the routes I loaded from mapsource.
When I zoom in on the route, it goes blank every other push of the + button. Then reappears when I push the + button again. Then the Montana just shuts off. It acts like it's corrupted or something. I have to keep restarting it..
Any suggestions?
Definitely sounds like an issue with those routes. Are they all doing it, or only some of them?

Which versions of MapSource & BaseCamp are you using?

May need to send one of the offending routes to Garmin for testing.

If you want to send a few of them to MontanaGPSrWiki at gmail.com, in both GCD and GPX format (they must be inside a zipped container), I would be more than happy to see what I can determine.

atlas cached screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 02:23 PM