Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #50671
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I installed my Tusk Grip Heater Kit with the supplied resistor, and the grips work great. However, I'm going to ditch the resistor, and install either a turn signal relay or the LED light dimmer.

Have you measured the power output when you switch your heated grips through the turn signal relay? If not, how much power do you estimate the grips are getting, relative to full power, when you switch them to the signal relay circuit? Did you install a thermal, or an electronic signal relay? I wonder how long a thermal signal relay will last when installed with the grip heaters?

I like the idea of the LED dimmer switch, but the dimensions are pretty big; it measures about 4" x 2" x 2-3/8".

Spud
I have not measured the output, but it makes the grips very comfortable with a light pair of gloves. They basically run 50/50, on/off. The dimmer is a good idea in that it would give you finite control over the amount of heat. The dimmer would allow you to run them with no toggle switch also. I used a heavy duty electronic flasher that I picked up at AutoZone. Unlike the LED flasher that I use for my blinkers, it is audible... I can only hear it when the bike is idling though.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #50672
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Bored to death!

On vacation until after new years. About to climb the damned walls!!!! I cant work on the bike...the garage is full of Christmas decoration boxes, so my bike is buried... Too much of a panty waist to go riding. Temps are below freezing and the roads are slick. Counting on you guys for entertainment and you all clearly have lives outside of ADV. WTF?!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #50673
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
When I burned up my last one, I tried to get by with files, the drill and lots of cussing... It took about a month to get fed up enough to go buy a new one. Beer and a Dremel tool is the recipe for some great fun! Sometimes I even end up with no bloodied, bandaged body parts
My foul language vocabulary is pretty extensive. Now I have something to blame it on. I was looking at the dremel 4000 about a month ago. I could use some of the attachments in the near future. Just didn't pull the trigger...yet.

Spud, I'm tryin the signal flasher route for now. I may get one of those dimmers sometime in the future. Did you two make a dashboard for the heater switch or???

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #50674
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
On vacation until after new years. About to climb the damned walls!!!! I cant work on the bike...the garage is full of Christmas decoration boxes, so my bike is buried... Too much of a panty waist to go riding. Temps are below freezing and the roads are slick. Counting on you guys for entertainment and you all clearly have lives outside of ADV. WTF?!
Hehe I know the feeling just got up from the basement and seen all this talk of "lipstick on pigs" and fun with a Dremel.

Was working on/with all of the above!

Santa brought me a XRs case saver! My only problem with it is it looked like it was machined with endmills from 1940

So a dremel with a 320 flap wheel, some 600/1000 wet sandpaper plus the polishing wheel I have this beauty

Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #50675
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
You may remember me whining about some BS pop up that I was getting when on ADV. I fixed the bastard! In Control Pannel, Internet Options, Security tab, Add ON Manager, disable " helper" add ons. No mas BS.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #50676
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
...Santa brought me a XRs case saver! My only problem with it is it looked like it was machined with endmills from 1940

So a dremel with a 320 flap wheel, some 600/1000 wet sandpaper plus the polishing wheel I have this beauty
You did a nice job!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #50677
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
My foul language vocabulary is pretty extensive. Now I have something to blame it on. I was looking at the dremel 4000 about a month ago. I could use some of the attachments in the near future. Just didn't pull the trigger...yet.

If i was in your shoes I would pick up the Dremel 3000, I have 2 4000s that I have had both repaired twice for burning out the speed controls for a total of 4 failures. The 3000 might get a bit hot running at low rpm or a large flap wheel but keeps asking me to punish it more with out a single issue.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #50678
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
On vacation until after New Years. Too much of a panty waist to go riding. Temps are below freezing...
I'm going on a ill' 150 mile DS this Sunday. Yes it will be cold and wet, but dressed like the Michelin Man I'll probably survive.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #50679
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
If i was in your shoes I would pick up the Dremel 3000, I have 2 4000s that I have had both repaired twice for burning out the speed controls for a total of 4 failures. The 3000 might get a bit hot running at low rpm or a large flap wheel but keeps asking me to punish it more with out a single issue.
I think this needs to be moved to the Dremel thread
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #50680
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have not measured the output, but it makes the grips very comfortable with a light pair of gloves. They basically run 50/50, on/off. The dimmer is a good idea in that it would give you finite control over the amount of heat. The dimmer would allow you to run them with no toggle switch also. I used a heavy duty electronic flasher that I picked up at AutoZone. Unlike the LED flasher that I use for my blinkers, it is audible... I can only hear it when the bike is idling though.
Thanks for the reply, Red. If I may ask, how much did the heavy-duty, electronic flasher cost? I found one at AutoZone which costs $12.99.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...fier=6415_0_0_

I'm thinking of buying this DPDT Center Off (DPCO) switch from Radio Shack for $3.69.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062518

I would replace the Tusk SPDT switch with the DPCO switch from Radio Shack, and wire it in the following manner, as shown in the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850635

The grip heaters would be wired in series for the "low" setting, which would double the resistance. Since I = E/R, if the resistance doubles as the voltage remains at 12V, the current should be reduced to half. Have I made a mistake in my calculations? I realize the "high" circuit is wired in parallel.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #50681
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Sort of similar - sort of. I'm dealing with a divorce right now and can't get to my house until after new years. I've got the bikes where I'm staying, but all need work and basically all my tools are at my house. I could ride something, but it's like freezing everywhere - oh and everything takes money - and my wife got all of that from me already.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #50682
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...Spud, I'm tryin the signal flasher route for now. I may get one of those dimmers sometime in the future. Did you two make a dashboard for the heater switch or???
I used a spare piece of 3/4"x3/4", aluminum angle iron left over from my oil cooler installation to mount the switch. I bolted the switch to the top of my Baja Designs headlight shroud, and it works very well.

Spud
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #50683
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Sort of similar - sort of. I'm dealing with a divorce right now and can't get to my house until after new years. I've got the bikes where I'm staying, but all need work and basically all my tools are at my house. I could ride something, but it's like freezing everywhere - oh and everything takes money - and my wife got all of that from me already.

RZ Rob
I've got a truck, trailer, bolt cutters, a Dremel, a free weekend and camo. You anywhere close to NW Arkansas?

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #50684
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:

Spud, I'm tryin the signal flasher route for now. I may get one of those dimmers sometime in the future. Did you two make a dashboard for the heater switch or???
I already had a hackjob dash that I drilled a hole in for the switch.

The relay is bolted to the number plate mounting hole on the front of my top USD triple.

The flasher is ziptied into the rats nest of wires behind the headlight. I plan to rethink the dash this winter. I want to incorporate a cigarette lighter power outlet and get my indicator lights back in play.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #50685
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for the reply, Red. If I may ask, how much did the heavy-duty, electronic flasher cost? I found one at AutoZone which costs $12.99.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...fier=6415_0_0_

I'm thinking of buying this DPDT Center Off (DPCO) switch from Radio Shack for $3.69.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062518

I would replace the Tusk SPDT switch with the DPCO switch from Radio Shack, and wire it in the following manner, as shown in the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850635

The grip heaters would be wired in series for the "low" setting, which would double the resistance. Since I = E/R, if the resistance doubles as the voltage remains at 12V, the current should be reduced to half. Have I made a mistake in my calculations? I realize the "high" circuit is wired in parallel.

Spud
Here's what I used:

http://blazer-international.com/Prod...hires/FL33.jpg

I connected a hot wire directly to the hot side of the battery to a 20 amp inline fuse.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=32415_0_0_
I have my battery under my seat. The fuse block is ziptied to the frame rail... easy access by pulling off the number plate. The hot wire from the fuse runs to the 30 terminal on the relay. The 85 terminal goes to the green wire that fed the dash light. The 86 terminal goes to the black dash light wire. the 87 terminal wire goes to the heater. The other heater wire goes to a ground.

ThumpnRed screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 04:00 PM