ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #6691
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: U.K.
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Has anyone used these with grip heaters? I am curious if the added rubber would be to much insulation. I have been using my grip heaters a lot lately.
Yep, used these on the 950 with some I think Symtec and thought they were too thick and reduced the heat from the heaters. I swapped to normal Renthal and was a lot better.

Use heated gloves now though for the really cold weather.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #6692
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Yep, used these on the 950 with some I think Symtec and thought they were too thick and reduced the heat from the heaters. I swapped to normal Renthal and was a lot better.

Use heated gloves now though for the really cold weather.
What I needed to know. I just have regular moto grips with dual element heaters. I have to play the game "heated jacket, high beam or grips on high" so i don't overload the stater.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #6693
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Hey, thought these might interest some of you that need to stay warm on the bike.....

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

Say these at a supplier of mine and they look like a viable solution for those with not a lot of surplus stator power. A friend of mine has one and he raves about it. lasts 3 hours on the medium setting and 2 on the high setting. Could be a great first layer with a good coat over top and bring a few batteries with you. The 12v batteries are readily available at your favorite home center.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #6694
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,242
Swap out to a HID headlight and a LED tail light and it's almost enough power savings to heat a vest. Think I'll stick with the wired vest.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #6695
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Swap out to a HID headlight and a LED tail light and it's almost enough power savings to heat a vest. Think I'll stick with the wired vest.
I'm running an LED tail and headlight but I think my LED headlight draws more than the stocker. It's certainly brighter
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #6696
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm running an LED tail and headlight but I think my LED headlight draws more than the stocker. It's certainly brighter
HID uses 27 watts and is much brighter then a 55 Watt standard headlight bulb.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #6697
StepOnIt
Assitoner
 
StepOnIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Huntsville ON.
Oddometer: 960
Question led light

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm running an LED tail and headlight but I think my LED headlight draws more than the stocker. It's certainly brighter
What LED's are you running on your bike for head lights??
__________________
The road less traveled is the road I travel more.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #6698
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
What LED's are you running on your bike for head lights??
Squadron from Baja Designs
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #6699
SuchesRider
Just Do It!
 
SuchesRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,717
Terminology

Hey guys. I have been doing quite a bit of research recently on the 2012 690 R. One of the benefits that is important to me of the 2012 model is the lower seat height. However, when in my reading about the 2012 model I come across the term 2012MY. Can someone please help me understand what MY stands for? Is it Mid Year? If so, was there a second model 2012 that was released mid year? Thanks. SuchesRider
__________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
SuchesRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #6700
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider View Post
Hey guys. I have been doing quite a bit of research recently on the 2012 690 R. One of the benefits that is important to me of the 2012 model is the lower seat height. However, when in my reading about the 2012 model I come across the term 2012MY. Can someone please help me understand what MY stands for? Is it Mid Year? If so, was there a second model 2012 that was released mid year? Thanks. SuchesRider

MY means Model Year, nothing more. There is no mid year second model offered.
Go buy one and have the time of your life. Enjoy!
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #6701
tdreyer
KTiM
 
tdreyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Used to live in Crestview FL, now ????
Oddometer: 503
BD Squadron

Try thishttp://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=283 I run my Squadron on the street for the last 2 months and am nervous @ 40% around Leo's. At 40% I still get way more light than my Stocker with a chinese HID And compared to my TT X2 the Squadron is drop dead reliable and even better light. If the numbers in the link are correct then the power savings is stellar anywhere south of 80% and more light you could not ask for.

Yes, I like my light a lot

Edit: can't do a link on my tablet
__________________
~Tim

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #6702
Roostre
Discombobulated
 
Roostre's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SL, UT
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey, thought these might interest some of you that need to stay warm on the bike.....

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

Say these at a supplier of mine and they look like a viable solution for those with not a lot of surplus stator power. A friend of mine has one and he raves about it. lasts 3 hours on the medium setting and 2 on the high setting. Could be a great first layer with a good coat over top and bring a few batteries with you. The 12v batteries are readily available at your favorite home center.
I gave one of those to my wife last Christmas and she loves it. Only problem I can see with using it on the bike is carrying the spare batteries and the off chance you land on the battery in a crash- the battery pocket is right over your left kidney.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #6703
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,646
Available Electrical Power of the 690

I've posted this here before but I'll do it again to help out the non-electrical nerds

In planning for my trip I needed to find how much Electrical power the 690 produces and uses. So i measured the current with from the battery with no stator connected and no headlight.

P= I*V. (Power = Current * Voltage)
My old 2010 used about 6 amps (72Watts) to run the motor and the stock tail light. I called it 80 to give a fudge factor

225 Watt stator - 80Watts = 145 for everything else.

So. now on my 2008, this is what I have.

Grips high/low 44/24 Watts
Headlight high/low 55/35 watts. high beam and low beam run at the same time so high beam uses 90 watts. Both are HID50.com.
Jacket is 75 watts

So.. you can basically add up your watts and just make sure you stay under 145. Measure current *12 v to get your Power consumption on something that you don't know.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #6704
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
I gave one of those to my wife last Christmas and she loves it. Only problem I can see with using it on the bike is carrying the spare batteries and the off chance you land on the battery in a crash- the battery pocket is right over your left kidney.
Thats true but in reality, there are lots of things that will hurt you in a crash... the road, the handlebars, foot pegs.... etc etc etc.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #6705
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Thats true but in reality, there are lots of things that will hurt you in a crash... the road, the handlebars, foot pegs.... etc etc etc.
True, but no sense needlessly adding to the carnage. Got a bud that crashed a few years ago and managed to break a couple ribs on is little P&S camera that was in his jacket pocket.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014