User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #13981
Frankdozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Synthetic Oil or Conventional Oil

! have a 1990 Suzuki DR350S dualsport and I am about to change the engine oil and filter. The bike only has under 1500 miles on it. I normally use 10W-40 regular oil and am considering changing to 10W-40 synthetic oil. I've heard both pros and cons about synthetic. What do you guys think? Thanks, Frank
Frankdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #13982
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankdozer View Post
! have a 1990 Suzuki DR350S dualsport and I am about to change the engine oil and filter. The bike only has under 1500 miles on it. I normally use 10W-40 regular oil and am considering changing to 10W-40 synthetic oil. I've heard both pros and cons about synthetic. What do you guys think? Thanks, Frank
There are about a billion threads about oil. My two cents: for this bike I run 15-40 Delo (dino oil). Works like a champ.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #13983
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Why not use Suzuki 10w40, that is what i use.
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #13984
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
Lucas motorcycle 10w 40 syn blend has worked good in my street bikes, and you can get it at just about any auto parts place and isnt crazy expensive. Ive used royal purple motorcycle oil and it will lowered engine temp very slightly but I noticed the clutch needed to be adjusted a few days after putting it in and is expensive.
I believe the syn blends are the way to go just my two cents.

jmderyke screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 07:32 AM
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #13985
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
...I normally use 10W-40 regular oil and am considering changing to 10W-40 synthetic oil. I've heard both pros and cons about synthetic. What do you guys think?
Hey Frank,

Don't over-think the oil issue. Use any high-quality, name-brand 10w-40 dino oil. The bike doesn't hold much oil, so change it often (every 1,000) miles or so, and the engine in your bike will outlast your ownership of the bike itself.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #13986
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
gearing

Im getting my parts list going to bring my 91 350s back to life and since I havent riden it yet I want to know whats the best gearing for highway and dirt roads mix? And oil cooler Ive seen some stock ones but anyone fabricate a universal or a donor from other bikes onto the dr?Ive seen the jagg one on a build here but thats about it any others

jmderyke screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 07:31 AM
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #13987
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmderyke View Post
whats the best gearing for highway and dirt roads mix?
cant have both without swapping CS sprockets
16t for road, 14t for dirt?
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #13988
DrKrisz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Helló Bikers!
I m new here.I have a Dr350 Se.
(Sorry,I learn english....I have basic english....)

DrKrisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #13989
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmderyke View Post
Im getting my parts list going to bring my 91 350s back to life and since I havent riden it yet I want to know whats the best gearing for highway and dirt roads mix? And oil cooler Ive seen some stock ones but anyone fabricate a universal or a donor from other bikes onto the dr?Ive seen the jagg one on a build here but thats about it any others
From an old post ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13123
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #13990
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrisz View Post
Helló Bikers!
I m new here.I have a Dr350 Se.
(Sorry,I learn english....I have basic english....)

Welcome DrKrisz, What part of the world are you from? Do not worry about english. Some of us in english speaking countries are not very good at it either. If we do not understand, we will ask you to explain. Welcome and ride safe.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #13991
walkbar
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Did adding gas make the problem go away? The routing you have will not let you get the last third of the tank, so you could easily have fuel but not be able to use it.

There are a number of routings in various threads but all try to minimize the lift of the hose from the tap to the bowl, and all try to keep the right side line from getting too close to either the head or the exhaust pipe. I used strategically placed zip ties to hold the line in the places I wanted to avoid excess heat.

I don't know what the size of the line is - I just use the clear line (I think 3/8") I get at the hardware store....
I THOUGHT that adding gas and re-routing the fuel pipes had done the trick but I had it running in the garage after changing the oil today and it cut out again and wouldn't start easily.

Took the fuel cap off and it started!......got me wondering how Acerbis tanks vent...it's got a plastic screw on cap with a valve on the end of 2 inches of plastic pipe.

Took a closer look at the valve and it's got a little arrow pointing up (to release excess pressure?)

Pulled the valve out and turned it over so the arrow points down.

At the moment I'm thinking that the valve ISN'T to release pressure....It's the VENT and it let's air in so you don't get a vacuum as you use fuel and it stops fuel coming out when you have a lay down.

It all seems so f**king obvious now....

We'll see............I must change these drugs...
walkbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #13992
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
pretty sure my tank vent lines on other bikes are not one way valves. If they were I'd agree with you...fuel pressure from a hot tank is not going to hurt anything, but lack of suction will leave u stranded.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #13993
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
1999 DR-350 SE

Just checked the valves and they are as follows;

Intake .003 / .004
Exhaust .006 / .006 (both are a tight .006)

I know that a loose valve is better than a tight valve and I'm thinking about leaving them as is. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Found the notes on the '99 model - Intake are now both at .003 and the exhaust are at .008

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 06:35 AM
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #13994
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Well I sold my '93 S about a year and a half ago (after I bought my Wee) but wanted something to go explore the local FS roads. I didn't want to get an extra set of wheels for the SM so I found another DR on CL, this time a '95 SE.

She needed a valve adjustment and fresh gas (read; running poorly = cheap), and she needs tires, but she runs great after an hour or so of tinkering. Damn these are good bikes!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #13995
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
pretty sure my tank vent lines on other bikes are not one way valves. If they were I'd agree with you...fuel pressure from a hot tank is not going to hurt anything, but lack of suction will leave u stranded.
with a vacuum petcock the diaphram can vent when its not supposed to
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote