Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #76
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Also, one day between the 28th Dec and 1st Jan, most likely 29th or 30th, I will be driving a car with the 640 on the trailer around to the south end of the Heaphy track, leaving the car & trailer and riding the 640 home. Anyone interested in joining in and maybe doing some exploring on the way back? I can't stay out overnight, but you may wish to make it into more than a day ride.
Update.

Likely I'll be doing this on Sat 29th, and returning via the Mackley Road. Could possibly squeeze another bike on the trailer if you preferred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #77
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
So I'm in NN till the 14th Jan, though bikeless (unless you count the mtb - need to do some exercise, been a very sendentry year). Anybody up for a coffee or is there a shed night or something I could crash?

Who's the person capable of getting us access to some good dakar footage?

cheers r

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #78
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,434
Got Snotso here is you feel like a ride. Fricking hot mtbing at the mo - strongly advise early morn or evening.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #79
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Got Snotso here is you feel like a ride. Fricking hot mtbing at the mo - strongly advise early morn or evening.
Nice and wet half hour ride tonight...

Nice and wet 1 1/2 hour walk too...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #80
warewolf
Tyre critic

We can probably organise something, R. I've still got plenty to get done on my bikes.
Quote:
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #81
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
thanks for the offer but got no gear. Did skyline Bayview to CONZ then down Walters bluff this morning and back out to atawhai. Just a little unfit me thinks but a few more rounds of that loop should help.

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #82
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
We can probably organise something, R. I've still got plenty to get done on my bikes.
happy to help with a bit of spannering.

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #83
warewolf
Tyre critic

One thing I do want to do is set/check the sag on the EXC. The PDS rear is apparently fussy, needs to be much closer to ideal than linkage types.
Quote:
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #84
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
One thing I do want to do is set/check the sag on the EXC. The PDS rear is apparently fussy, needs to be much closer to ideal than linkage types.
perfect. I need to do the same so keen to practice with your bike

cheers r

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #85
cooneyr
terra firma rider

bloody wx. shrinking hot on last bike ride then today got drenched. made it all the way up Bayview to skyline and along the top with no walking. then we went up the maitai and the first third of the tantragee to find it closed due to fire risk.

yesterday was up cable bay walkway with a 17kg pack (sleeping 3 year old). good work put but my old new alpine climbing boots trashed my feet (blisters on toes and heals). cycling seems to be ok though.

pretty stoked with the efforts given done next to no exercise this year.

real question, where be fun to mtb ride now? need a bit of a hill to get the heart pumping and the lungs heaving but not too technical cause ain't fit enough for that.

cheers r

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #86
warewolf
Tyre critic

Involution. Read about it here or google. Great track to practice sticking your inside leg forward into the turns. Shame after the grind up that it's sub-20 mins to get down, but hey, that's Nelson all over.

Codgers MTB Park is still open, izit? Sh!tloads of good riding in there.
Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #87
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,434
I went for a ride yesterday avo & thought I should have given you a call. This heat is extremely energy sapping

Anything from Fireball rd over to the Maitai is OOBs at the mo.

Go to Codgers up Brook St & ride up firball to the top trig on Sharlands hill & you have a magnificient downhill on some brilliant tracks. I couldn't really understand the map at the bottom & I know the tracks but I'm sure with your map skills you'll nail it.
There are some maps floating around at the bike shops I think if you want to carry them but everyone is pretty helpful.

Involution is a great track up Marsden Valley Rd but the ride up is punishing.
Dun Mountain walkway is a fantastic ride - about an hour & halfish to Third house & then all downhill back - watch for walkers tho - heaps of tourists around.

Fringe hill is another massive climb - since it's on the road noone really classes it as OOBs. About 1 1/2hrsish to the parking lot. From there you can either go down the Nat downhill track - only a couple of scary chutes yu can slide down or go down the sketchy Classic rd back to the brook.
If you do intend to do the Downhill track it may pay just to post on KB your intentions & post up again when you get home.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #88
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,113
Anyone want to go for a pushy ride today, give me a bell.

If you don't know my number
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #89
cooneyr
terra firma rider

no treadly today. family day, rest day and gear dry out day.

might be keen for another spin tomorrow. will see what bro in laws plans are and wx is like. codgers looks like a goer thought android phone doesn't like the pdf. will post mid tomorrow morning if I have any firm plans - firm plans and in-laws are two pairs of words that don't really go together;)

cheers r

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #90
warewolf
Tyre critic

Today's ride report

Gah! Enough talk about treadlies, I went for a ride on a proper bike today!

Shame about the rain/wind/fog/cold/wx in general. Since it'd been raining for a while, the Mackley was never going to happen, but I was prepared to go in and out from either side for a reccie/ride. However, Denniston was in the clouds and rather unpleasant so I didn't go any further than the museum.

Serviced the shock linkage the other day. Man, it is so much simpler and easier when done in time as a service item rather than neglected and becoming a repair. Just unbolt everything, wipe out the old grease, smear in some new grease, bolt it all up again. Simple. Only took a few more minutes on top of removing the shock.

Initial tests of the lighter shock spring are very positive. Might need a bit more preload, or valving to take more load - or, I just need to get used to a bit more compliance in the rear and it riding a bit lower. It follows the road a lot better and feels a lot less choppy. It's also more balanced front/rear which is always a good sign. The main aim of the exercise was to increase traction via better compliance. I think that's a win: on smooth gravel when you opened the throttle, the bike used to either spin up or snap sideways very suddenly. Now it takes a lot more throttle to get it to spin (it tends to find drive more), and it slides out in a comparatively gentle and controlled manner. Result!!

The Porika Track is very rough at the moment. The climb from Rotoroa is all football-sized boulders, criss-crossing ruts and sections of exposed clay. The tricky bit above the lookout is now the easiest part, and it looks like someone has been doing some road repairs there to smooth it out. The rest of it is in better condition than previously and it looks like it's had a bit of traffic with smoothed-out wheel tracks. Slippery as a greased pig in the rain still! I'd like to take the credit for getting up there without stopping or even dabbing, but I think the lighter shock spring helped quite a bit.

And to top off the day, I made an oops with fuel. Instead of starting the day with 19L according to the trip meter, I must've reset the trip at some inappropriate time, because nearly halfway from Westport to Murchison, I ran on to reserve...when I was expecting about 10L remaining...WTF?! Fortunately on reserve I can get more than halfway from Westport to Murchison although I was being very gentle with the throttle and cruising at 80-90 kays. Note to self: don't f*#&$^#%ing reset the odo unless the tank gets a full fill! and/or dremel a fuel visibility strip of paint off the tank.

All up a good day's ride. Kohaihai, Kongahu Swamp Rd, Karamea Hwy, Denniston, Lower Buller Gorge, Upper Buller Gorge, Braeburn Track, Porika Track, Hope Saddle etc to home.
Quote: