Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #46
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Eek Here's what I did....

OTR Akro 2-1

OTR bashplate

B&B rear rack

All work well. Have avoided the pannier thing so far, using Wolfman Beta rear & drybags, so far so good

Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #47
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 454
Hey Bone, do you reckon the Z bash plate (apparently they fit the R) would protect the lower bits better than the OTR or MM? It's dam hard to see how high up the OTR bash plate comes on their photos, but I do like how it wings up on the sides and tapers back. But the MM bash plate looks like it might provide some more up front protection.

motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #48
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Question Dunno MM....

Not sure about the Z bash-plate. Integrated crash bars?? I do recall someone modifying one on a forum to fit the XTR, an inmate may be able to steer you to that thread? The one you picture doesn't look as though it has much protection on the sides, but I guess that's what the crash bars are for? So far so good with the OTR plate, it's so scratched & scraped underneath, so I guess it's done it's job.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #49
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 788
I believe SWMotech do a similar bash plate to the last one shown. Have you checked the SWMotech stuff for the 660R? I think it's nice looking well built gear in my opinion.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #50
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey thanks Tiggs, didn't look at them. Couldn't find a bash plate to suit the 2 in 1 exhaust system though. They've got some other good gear though.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #51
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Have any of you chaps tried the Kev fuel mod and or the O2 controller?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #52
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 597
yup fitted the O2 controller and made my own KFM, works a treat. The O2 controller gets rid of 90% of the surge, just a wee bit on the over run and very occasionally at small throttle settings. Went for a ride this morning and noticed it once briefly in 100 klm ride.

Anyone recomend 50/50 tyres That dont send you off like a drunken sailor when you encounter a bit of sand. Had the origional tourances on when I bought it and they weren't too bad. Fitted some T63 thinking they would suit my usage but they arn't much better unless you air them right down. I realise my technique isn't very good but hopefully there's something better out there for the occasional bit of this I encountered this morning.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #53
John 171
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
z bash plate

Hi Motormail,
I have fitted the Guard-It Z bash plate to my R as I wanted more protection for the water pump. ( photo of bike with guard fitted earlier in thread ) It fits but you have to make some brackets up for the back mount. Hope you enjoy working on your new project,
John.
John 171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #54
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey Plodalong, nice rear...those Blue one's are super photogenic. Rob Turton from Tyres for Bikes swears by the Dunlop D606 as an all rounder for the big pigs and if he can get 2,000 k's out of them on his KTM990 (read...freak on a bike) they've got to be worth a try. And seeing that photo of the sandy track with the XT660R on it, looks right at home. Can't wait to get mine going.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #55
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey John 171, I didn't realise when I looked at yours you had the Z bashplate. I do like the way it offers a bit more protection for the water pump. Is that a Metal Mule exhaust on yours?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #56
John 171
Adventurer

exhaust & add ons.

Motormail,
Yes my bike has the metal mule exhaust. It has a good sound to it without being too loud but the big advantage for me is the ground clearance, being able to fit a decent bash plate, and the weight saving. It's a bit of a tight squeeze to fit. The clutch cable runs very close at one point so I put some exhaust bandage around it and have had no problems so far ( approx. 5 thousand K's). The fibre washers that hold the heat shield fell to bits from the heat making the bolts come loose so thats something to watch out for but generally no problems and I'm happy with the system.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #57
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Got some very bad news from OTR today saying: Due to very low request we actually do not know if and when we will offer
the 26Ltr OTR fibre tank kit again. Bugger.......

I also asked about supply of the OTR rally fairing kit to suit the 26Ltr big tank and they said: The rally fairing for the stock tank
can be adjusted to be used with that 26l tank, but not vice versa.

That's probably some good news as it might fit the Gillimoto tank being that's now the only option for a larger tank. Anyone
know how much different the Gillimoto tank is in shape to the stock radiator shrouds? Might just work when you compare
boneman660's with supamanaint's?

motormail screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 01:41 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #58
John 171
Adventurer

bark busters

Hi Flickit.
I have the VPS Bark Busters, Pro Tapper Bars and no weights fitted to my R and have not felt anymore vibration through the bars than when it was standard. I have done a few all day and multi day rides with this set up with no ill effects. Hope this information helps.
John.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #59
JCat

Oddometer: 379
For anyone who may be interested, there is a nice 09 660R on Bikesales Vic for $4000.
Has the metal mule pipe, bash plate etc. 25000ks.

I stumbled across it a couple of days and messaged the owner for a mate, its still for sale but my mate isnt in the position to buy it atm.

Seems to be a very cheap bike.
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #60
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 4,981
XT660R

Anybody know a slightly longer clutch cable (maybe from another Yamaha?) that will fit? I got some 30mm bar raisers but I'm not game to use them....the cable seems pretty tight standard.

What about the air box? A couple of times lately I've noticed the slightest trace of dust in the air box. I'm using the standard style filter from OTR....the only difference to the Yamaha one is the seal foam is not quite as dense. I put a bit of grease on it everytime I check it.
OR... the leak could be around the cover. I notice it has no seal but relies just on the lip of the box in the groove of the cover. I put a bit of grease around this too. Is it worth trying to put a "seal" of "O" ring material or similar in that groove?

And what about the cush drive. I'm on my second set at 14,000 k's and probably due for new ones again with the next tyre. Even getting them from OTR it's going to be an expensive proposition in the long run. What's the solution? Anyone know anything about those blue ones I saw a picture of somewhere?

All info gratefully received.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote