ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
jason41987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
CB550F dualsport upgrades?

the roads where i live are in poor condition, and i also travel on dirt roads once in a while and my suspension is too light, too soft... id like to equipped the suspension to be comfortable on the road and suitable for trail riding as well

so... im looking at the shocks right now... going to go with the cartridge fork emulators which are adjustable for damping.. oil weight allows me to adjust the rebound with these... so i was wondering what sort of springs youd recommend with this setup for an average of about 350lbs (rider+gear)?
jason41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Medic09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
CB550Four? ANYTHING you want to know for that bike, you can probably find over at the SOHC4 forums.

http://forums.sohc4.net/

'07 aprilia Caponord
'75 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
Medic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
jason41987 OP
Adventurer

no, the F just means its the supersport model... and the people on sohc/4 forums are mostly into restoring as original, or cafe racer modifications... not much information on putting together a dual sport suspension on an older damping fork bike

so... the type of forks it has now simply forces fork oil through an orifice with straight springs that are too light for myself and any luggage... my options are progressive forks which assist in handling, safety, and preventing bottoming out... and my other option is to drill out the orifice and install a cartridge fork emulator which is adjustable for damping, and changing oil weight adjusts rebound... these use normal springs that i can get in any weight

so a 400lb bike, 300lbs (rider+luggage) im thinking of going with the adjustable cartridge fork emulators and 85kg/mm springs... does this sound sufficient for a light offroad duty dual-sport suspension?... i would have to tune the rear shocks to match and get the proper tires to go with it too
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
jason41987 OP
Adventurer

does that sound at all suitable to anyone for a light-duty dual sport?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Why not get something more suited to your riding? Seriously, I think my '70s high school "dirt" bikes had like 4 inches of suspension travel and doubt your CB has any more. Adding a used DS makes more sense to me than expecting/getting any more from your CB suspension riding in the dirt.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote