Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Does the 1150 have shim and bucket?
Nope, threaded adjusters which makes it so easy. Only the 2010 and later Boxer engines have shims.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Thanks for all the info. I appreciate the feedback.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Nope, NO shim buckets. Just need 2 feeler gauges in each size 0.15mm and 0.30mm, so 4 total, 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust, a 12mm box end wrench, a straight screw driver, a spark plug wrench, and a 6mm allen wrench.

I think those are the correct sizes.

Really easy.

Look at some of the maintanace sticky's and links.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Steveize
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Factor in resale too

I had two friends sell their gs's with 70k miles between the two with little problem, and for great resale value...they may be a little more to get into, but hold their value better..

Just saw a brand new Yamaha 250, brand new, 2 years old sitting in the crate.. That kills retail sales of any used 250 yamaha's around..as far as same model..

Gs, dead simple, proven, and when the water cooled hits soon, watch the used ones get snapped up

I don't think you can find any Beemer 2 year old sitting in a crate...get one and ride it
Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

Maintenance is the same for any machine? A GS in the OP's price range will take 4 valve adjustments to his V-Strom's 1. A Harley won't take any, ever.

Also, I suggest that there's a fair bit of "ego" in the statement " We do not have a BMW at this cost for ego, nothing handles like a GS." as there are many bikes that handle better in one way or another. Dirt bikes, smaller dual sports, and KTMs are far superior in the dirt. Supermoto's excell on tight twisties, and sport bikes handle better on most mountain roads. Then there's the slab and touring bikes...

The GS does all of these pretty darned well, but it's not the best at any of them.

BTW; I have almost 30k trouble free miles on mine - nothing but routine maintenance.
And Yes, valve adjust is pretty simple. Unlike the V-Strom, you don't need to dissasemble half the bike, and there's no coolant to change.
Comparing a "small dual sports" is not apples to apples. Yes, they are better in the dirt but that is where it ends. And "Supermotos" come on, take those off road. The GS(A) is not perfect off road, but very, very good. Great on the highway also. Very few bikes in its "do it all" class. He can probably do 4 valve adjustments in less time than the 1. A Harley won't hold a candle to a GS in the twisties or in the dirt. It is not a perfect bike but it is quite good at all things.

I'm assuming yours with 30,000 trouble free miles is based on your preference and not ego.

To the OP, the 1150 is not shim and bucket, nothing to buy just adjust.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
How much do BMW's cost to run?

A: Coasting downhill not much more than any other. The 11xx series are by far easiest on the wallet. If buying a 1200 then either buy one with a warranty or plan on dropping $2-$4k any season that you are out running hard. The new marketing plan anticipates that the average rider has well over a six figure income and will trade in before the warranty expires. 25 years ago it was unthinkable to sink this kind of money in to riding. Investing in an older 1200 is a lot like building in the flood plane.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post

A: Coasting downhill not much more than any other. The 11xx series are by far easiest on the wallet. If buying a 1200 then either buy one with a warranty or plan on dropping $2-$4k any season that you are out running hard. The new marketing plan anticipates that the average rider has well over a six figure income and will trade in before the warranty expires. 25 years ago it was unthinkable to sink this kind of money in to riding. Investing in an older 1200 is a lot like building in the flood plane.
If these comments on the 1200's are true the value and appreciation for my '95 will only continue to climb. Values on most other bikes will only continue to drop.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRat View Post
If these comments on the 1200's are true the value and appreciation for my '95 will only continue to climb. Values on most other bikes will only continue to drop.
Vintage Rider is a bit of a Luddite. The R1200 is easily as reliable as the R1100/1150.

Anyone interested in the difficulty level of R1200 maintenance should look here for a tutorial: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_Final_Drive.html http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_24K.html

There are easily as many R1200 bikes, as mile to mile basis, as there are R1100/1150 bikes building big miles with nothing but regular maintenance.

My R1200GS has 120K miles on it, and runs like new.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 08:24 PM
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Well I'm glad I finally asked some actual BMW riders about BMWs. Almost all my knowledge of bmw is via other bike forums and most of the riders were either guys who had bmws and got rid of them or had stories hat involved a buddy of a buddy.

The GS has been on my radar since 03 when I took a test ride and when I rode my bosses R80 Paris Dakar. So it's time for me to start doing some serious bike research again. I finally cleared some bikes out of the garage. Maybe it's time for a bike I've been into for years. The vstrom is a great bike and I'm on my 2nd one..they've just never really flipped my whig if you know what I mean.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
The 11xx series are by far easiest on the wallet. If buying a 1200 then either buy one with a warranty or plan on dropping $2-$4k any season that you are out running hard.
How do you define "running hard"?
My '07 R1200GS did 4500 miles in 6 days back in march. Average speed - 85 mph. Maintenance? Not even an oil change. That was my longest trip, but my bike has seen 100+ mph for a full tank of gas many, many times, as well as a few long trips of over 3,000 miles at a pretty good pace. My bike has seen hundreds of miles of dirt roads (not "off road") and has only had fluids changed, valve adjustments, and tires...and 2 batteries.
Now you've got me wondering; what am I supposed to be spending that "$2-$4k" on?

Domromer, a 1200 is lighter, more nimble, and more powerful than an 1150, and at the $12k you suggested in post #1 you're in the range of '06 and '07 GSA's
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,166
Talk about mis-information. I've owned 7 1200 GS's. All sold to friends at between 30-42k on them. Several now over 100k. None have been problematic. Leaky shocks under wty were the worst any of them suffered in the first 40k. I'm sure the 1150 is very good but lets get real. Sounds like he has a friend who has a friend who heard from someone that the 12's were no good.

As to price, I just sold my '09 with 35k for 11k. Stock as all the extras moved to the new one.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #27
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRat View Post
Lowest 1100 resale was a 2-3 years ago, now climbing. Used mc buyers are often uninformed so subscribe to the belief that newer is better. The 1100 GS is a rock solid machine with excellent build quality. Sure, they had their quirks such as a tendency to pull studs out of the block in early years, poor crankcase ventilation, mediocre gear box. BUT recondition any of them and you've got a reliable runner that won't let you down and for only a fraction of the cost of 1200 ownership. To be fair they really are very different mc and there are reasons to ride each. Everything made since 1996 is more or less built to be disposable. The expensive parts that wear out prematurely are no accident just part of the modern marketing. It is interesting to study the marque. By 1969 dealers were complaining that the 600's were too reliable and too easily serviced by the owner. With the 1970 revision. planned obsolescence was already becoming obvious. This is was transportation industry wide phenomenon. A 1965 F100 p.u. was designed to be rebuilt. The 84's were ready for the junkyard by 89.

Fahrvergnügen:
One word that expresses modern German auto marketing philosophy. A divergence from the early post war utilitarian years. Focus shifting back to the luxury market, first in cars then mc. Looking at the production from mid 1930 thru 39 we see the company has come full circle. The 1500-1600-1800 was the car that saved BMW with a little help from the 75/5.

In a challenging economy BMW will produce Isettas though that is not where their heart is. The driving force today seems to be cheap money/easy financing. It remains to be seen how long that will last. Ride the dream and cherish the memories.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...w_post_war.htm
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,764

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #29
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,803
Quote:

Bullshit...Utter BULLSHIT

In excess of 70k on my '08...a drive shaft under warranty and oil, gas and tires have been the expenses. The bike has run in desert silt, Colorado snow..you name it.

The bikes are reliable as a rock..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #30
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim

+1
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote