Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #91
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Awesome replies guys. Coming off a 300 EXC I am now convinced this is the bike for me without riding it!

Report to follow once I get it in the new year!

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #92
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Has anyone taken a pillion on a 690?
Hi Chris, I have taken the Mrs. pillion on my 690R many times & no problems at all, even on a few hill climbs & through sandy single track..

I have a thick black lambswool seat cover (custom made) that I use for extra comfort on the longer trips, which helps a lot vs. the standard Enduro seat..

The bike is pretty quick on bitumen & has passed a few road bikes throughout the Adelaide Hills on several occasions..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #93
KTBen
Barrrp!

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
That was my concern... I do a lot of my riding at Sunny and Dark Corners and was still wanting something that will do the single track/fire trails found there as well as the ADV thing when required. Thanks for the input
Hey thats my back yard Should meet up for a ride some day..
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #94
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Hi Chris, I have taken the Mrs. pillion on my 690R many times & no problems at all, even on a few hill climbs & through sandy single track..

I have a thick black lambswool seat cover (custom made) that I use for extra comfort on the longer trips, which helps a lot vs. the standard Enduro seat..

The bike is pretty quick on bitumen & has passed a few road bikes throughout the Adelaide Hills on several occasions..
Thx Sol,

Now I am busting to get it. Transport coy returns back on 7 Jan 2013. should have it a few days later

Chris
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #95
DR-DRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Thx Sol,

Now I am busting to get it. Transport coy returns back on 7 Jan 2013. should have it a few days later

Chris
Geez Mate, thats another week, I'd hitch hike, catch a train/plane, get there some how, then ride it home
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #96
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-DRZ View Post
Geez Mate, thats another week, I'd hitch hike, catch a train/plane, get there some how, then ride it home
LOL DR!

SA to Sydney my ass would be sore!

Chris
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #97
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Just wondering if anyone has fitted one of these KTM Twins Tail Tidy on the back of their 690R or 690 Enduro ?

http://www.ktmtwins.com/rg-ktm-690-smc-enduro-tail-tidy

I currently have the KTM Enduro tail tidy & the boys in blue dont like the angle that my number plate sits on & I thought the KTM Twins version looks much less of an angle & would certianly be more street legal.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #98
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,673
OK mates....hope I got that correct....

Yank here...the KTM 690 Wunderfest thread in Thumpers is run by nothing but complainers who do know their stuff but abuse their bikes and create tremendous negativity.

I would like to get ideas on higher mileage 690's with 20k miles (13 km and more) bikes..... my bike has 6.2k miles or 10k km with nothing more than GTO...........gas, tires and oil..........plus my farkles

What are your experiences?

And thanks for any replies....here or in Thumpers......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852742
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #99
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Just wondering if anyone has fitted one of these KTM Twins Tail Tidy on the back of their 690R or 690 Enduro ?

http://www.ktmtwins.com/rg-ktm-690-smc-enduro-tail-tidy

I currently have the KTM Enduro tail tidy & the boys in blue dont like the angle that my number plate sits on & I thought the KTM Twins version looks much less of an angle & would certianly be more street legal.

Cheers, Sol..
FYI : I'm already using the KTM 'Euro' version & the local Force here have defected me a few times already.

Everything else is legal on my bike in terms of mirrors, tyres & indicators etc..

Just looking for a better option from ADV folks for the rear tail tidy.
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #100
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
OK mates....hope I got that correct....

Yank here...the KTM 690 Wunderfest thread in Thumpers is run by nothing but complainers who do know their stuff but abuse their bikes and create tremendous negativity.

I would like to get ideas on higher mileage 690's with 20k miles (13 km and more) bikes..... my bike has 6.2k miles or 10k km with nothing more than GTO...........gas, tires and oil..........plus my farkles

What are your experiences?

And thanks for any replies....here or in Thumpers......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852742
Aussie 690 thread is here and carries a little less bullshit,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...57040&page=168

You will see from the thread that I did a lot of work to keep mine free of all reported gremlins but many would say it wasn't necessary but mines done 15000km, chainguard split and was replaced under warranty, radiator leaked at lower fairing mount bracket and they wouldn't replace it as it had a slight dent so I araldited and quicksteeled it , never leaked since, chain broke at 15000km, the bike had just been serviced so was well lubed and correctly adjusted. Slight very fine dust in airbox on really dusty rides, i think that is just down to aussie talcum powder dust but taken all precautions with airbox sealing.

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #101
alfy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
local info

sounds like you guys are all stoked with your bikes. Iv been doing a bit of research myself and after reading the some of the other forums they blow the throttle bodies off and fall to bits regularly....
I have a 300 exc for bush work and im looking at getting one of these to setup for some outback tours/multi day rides with soft luggage etc. I am sold on the bike performance/size wise but still a bit scared regarding reliability. So much electronics on these things. My other option is a decked out DR650 which I feel is a safe bet to get you home every time but not as much fun when your sitting on the thing all day. Good to get some local feedback though, im thinking of getting a low km 2011 model going right over it and setting it up hopefully it will be a good thing.
alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #102
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfy View Post
sounds like you guys are all stoked with your bikes. Iv been doing a bit of research myself and after reading the some of the other forums they blow the throttle bodies off and fall to bits regularly....
I have a 300 exc for bush work and im looking at getting one of these to setup for some outback tours/multi day rides with soft luggage etc. I am sold on the bike performance/size wise but still a bit scared regarding reliability. So much electronics on these things. My other option is a decked out DR650 which I feel is a safe bet to get you home every time but not as much fun when your sitting on the thing all day. Good to get some local feedback though, im thinking of getting a low km 2011 model going right over it and setting it up hopefully it will be a good thing.

Take it from me the DR is a lot better to sit on all day. Not as much grunt either but very reliable.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #103
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
Take it from me the DR is a lot better to sit on all day. Not as much grunt either but very reliable.
until 3rd gear explodes or the fuel issue comes into play
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #104
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,746
Fuel issue?

What fuel issue are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #105
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,253
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Ive had a dr with a dodgy third gear - but I still think it statistical anomoly!

3.5 million trillion Dr's sold globally 200 of them have blown up in third gear being ridden hard with heavy loads. some of them have over a 100 thousand kilomtres and haven't moved a valve.

there are 23 Ktm 690's sold to date and most dont ride them on multi days with heavy luggage, and still have issues.

<-- I am being a bit sarcastic, but I hope you get my point

When there are as many KTM690 that have been around the world as DR's or Ridden to 100 thousand Km without issue as the DR Ill be happy to eat humble PIE.

Until then I think Dr's still rate a mention in a comparo with a 690.

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote