ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
SRG
SRG
 
SRG's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia USA
Oddometer: 1,184
Something like this:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...422606177.html

or this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=Husaberg

w/ the right tires would rock on a short road course - even better w/ SM wheel set. You are lucky to have a good Huasberg dealer close by, you really should check them out. The 70* models are excellent bikes (and a very good value used). If you can search one out, FS570 has your name written all over it.
__________________
Lazy Traveler

SRG screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 07:43 PM
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pingvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Kongsberg, Norway
Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Take the 690 and get a set of supermoto wheels for the track use. Not ideal for the track but better than the Husky anyway...
The KTM is better off roads as well but this seems not to be your main target...

Maybe a 990 SuperMoto would be best choice as you wont do a lot of off road riding....
The 690 is surprisingly quick on track, got an 09' ER converted to SMC (wheels/forks/shock/brakes) and are among the fastest in fast group on track days. Used to have a Superduke and had similar lap times though slightly more careful with SD. Have the EVO2 installed and larger rear sprocket. Did try with ER forks/shock/brakes and was OK but bit too soft and could use more brakes (even though it was very cold and raining). Probably less of an issue for road as not pushing that hard there.

Also had the 690 to the Alps (Austria/Switzeland/Italy) this summer and wouldn't want to be on any other bike down there. Motorways is not what it likes best though.

Now, my 690 started life as an ER an with me as novice on loose surface. Then I tried buddies 450EXC and 1 week later I had a 530EXC. It's just way easier and more fun to ride. That said, I've seen more skilled guys than me ride 690 much better than I do with my 530, in the right hands it's an incredible tool also off road.

Quite a few guys over here have converted their 530 to track tool and they are surprisingly quick. I'm faster on the straights but they're not that slow. Some of them have 570 kit though and got around 70hp!

If it was me, I would take the 690 if mainly tarmac/track. Better and less maintanance. If it was 65% dirt, I'd have the 530...but again a skilled dirt rider would be ok with 690. Also for very tight tracks, like a gocart track, the 530 would be better.

If I was to have only 1 bike for the rest of my life, it had to be a 690 enduro.
__________________
2006 KTM 950 SuperEnduro
2010 KTM 530 EXC-R
2006 Suzuki RM-Z 250
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: redmond wa
Oddometer: 538
I'm going with the KTM 690 Enduro R.

1 - I have one and have a clue as to what they are capable of
2 - simply higher spec gear with the KTM, so you have more adjustability in the suspension, for example - you can pay now for this or pay later when you upgrade the Terra's suspension, in which case your total outlay of cash will start creeping towards 690 R territory...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pingvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Kongsberg, Norway
Oddometer: 485
Cut&Paste from another forum:

"As you might have noticed, the 690 has impressed me a lot. I've claimed it's the only bike out there that can do EVERYTHING and not only doing it but doing it well. This is, though assuming you have both enduro and SMC wheels, forks, shock and brakes.

Well, to take what it's not great at first:
Autobahn - 120kph is OK for a while (so OK in Norway and US then) but take the smaller roads instead
Hard core cross and enduro - It's just too tall and heavy (though much lighter than a XT660 or GS800, only 20kg more than my EXC). COULD be ridden in tough terrain by someone more skilled by me though.

What it's good at:
Supermoto - Not as good as the 450SMR I had, 30kg heavier, but still good fun and capable.
Gravel roads - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter for aggresive riding
Trails - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter

What it's great at:
Gravel touring/dual sport - 530EXC just isn't a touring bike, it's a competition bike requiring frequent service...and terrible for those tarmac transport stages. 690 actually works good on tarmac even with enduro tyres/wheels and more fun (lighter) than XT660/GS800 on gravel
Tarmac touring - assuming twisty roads...but that's a given for me. That's why I ride! I have no problems keeping up with my sportsbike buddies even on wide, open roads as long as a bit curvy. The more narrow/twisty the better it works and if really tight, the sportsbikes just couldn't keep up. Not very often I felt I lacked power really (do have evo2 kit, dyno job and low gearing though)
Race Track - I would probably be a second faster on my superdukeR...but more fun with 690. And cheaper if crash, normally just hose off dirt.

For me, bikes are all about FUN, and that's really what the 690 is all about too 8)"

Touring:


Road/Trackday:


SUMO/road racing:


Gravel/Dual sport/Light Enduro:


Winter :
__________________
2006 KTM 950 SuperEnduro
2010 KTM 530 EXC-R
2006 Suzuki RM-Z 250
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer
 
rmcelroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 20
thanks pingvin!

a lot of that is the sort of info I have been trying to gauge. yea, it seems the more I research, the more I am becoming hooked on the 690 ER. I will probably wait until the 2013 comes out in the spring before I get one though. Luckily I live close to a dealer that has a 2012 and they offer test rides. So I should be able to get a good feel for what I am getting into and be 100% sure that is what I want.

now, does anyone know what differences the 2013 has vs the 2012. I know they are going to be very similar bikes, and that not much was done to the frame/engine/body. But it would still be nice to know what small differences were made. I believe one difference I saw was that the 2013 has a tach on the gauge cluster, whereas the 2012 does not. Anyone got any more?
rmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelroy View Post
is that the primary difference in price? a much lower quality engine would be a big deal... i have read on other sites that some people were having issues with the bikes just randomly stalling/back firing.

the more i look into the terra, the more i am wanting to shy away from it. and when i start looking at the TE (which retails for 9000) against the 690 (which retails for 10k) well, i think i would rather have the ktm.
I would rather have the 690 as well. But then I actually have one. It's spent most of the 27K miles I've racked up on it with the 17" wheels.

When I first read your post about track riding I thought you meant a MX track which is the reason I mentioned the smaller bikes. The 690 would great for a road race track. I had mine out at Eagles Canyon Raceway before which isn't a great motard track and it was still a lot of fun. My track bike at the time SXV 550 and the 690 actually handled a little bit better then the Ape, it just couldn't touch it on HP though.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer
 
rmcelroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I would rather have the 690 as well. But then I actually have one. It's spent most of the 27K miles I've racked up on it with the 17" wheels.

When I first read your post about track riding I thought you meant a MX track which is the reason I mentioned the smaller bikes. The 690 would great for a road race track. I had mine out at Eagles Canyon Raceway before which isn't a great motard track and it was still a lot of fun. My track bike at the time SXV 550 and the 690 actually handled a little bit better then the Ape, it just couldn't touch it on HP though.
gotcha. yea, your earlier suggestions did get me looking into the Husky TE bikes. If I did go the Husky route it would probably be the TE511 you mentioned. I will probably be test riding a 449 soon just to see what they are like. but I am almost certain I will be going for the 690.
rmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelroy View Post
is that the primary difference in price? a much lower quality engine would be a big deal... i have read on other sites that some people were having issues with the bikes just randomly stalling/back firing.

the more i look into the terra, the more i am wanting to shy away from it. and when i start looking at the TE (which retails for 9000) against the 690 (which retails for 10k) well, i think i would rather have the ktm.
The primary difference is the design intent / mission profile. The Husky Terra is like an upscale KLR. Meaning gravel road, ADV touring, light trail use, back-roads bike. Not a dirt bike. Not a track bike. Way too heavy for what you want. Where it is assembled has no bearing on quality. Seems to be a fine machine.

I believe the 690 is what you want, based on what you stated you want it to do.

A used TE 610 / 630 would do fine too for less money.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish
 
Tachedoutoffroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 625
you just missed out. a buddy had a 610TE setup with a set of SM wheels and tires too in Birmingham. Sold last week.

my 610s were great 1-bike garage rides. easy maintain, sexy, good power. Would run 90 down the interstate and awesome in the twities.

My 450s were AMAZING in the mountain twisties and below 50mph. SUCK above 55-60 and over 20min of straight/ middle Alabama rds.

If you want everday hooligan, fire rds, some powerlines, and ocassional track day= 610
trailer to trails, track, and trailer it to NC/TN Mts= 450/510


....never ridden a KTM
__________________
'00 KTM 400EXC --plated!
'89 Honda Transalp
Sikorsky UH-60L
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: West Blocton,Alabama
Oddometer: 280
Well, I'm in for this thread. I have been trying to decide on another bike for the same conditions.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The Terra has an engine made in China for one. They use pretty cheap parts on it compared to the TE or the KTM's.
The Terra's engine is made in China?...how in the heck did you find this out....stamped on the engine case?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: West Blocton,Alabama
Oddometer: 280
Question

bump
__________________
2015 Yamaha FZ-07, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2003 Kawasaki Z1000 (sold)
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X (sold)
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in
 
Crazy_Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 584
Unless Husky’s have changed since my 04 Sm450R they have a very close ratio transmission. I hated it on the road. The 610/630 has w W/T. But I like 450's that’s why I went to a KTM 450EXC with two sets of shoes street/dirt.
__________________
It’s easier to apologize then it is to ask permission.
01 R1-01 CBR929-08 WR250R-92 DR650 (24-7 365)-07 F650GS-05 200 EXC-03 450EXC
Crazy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,942
The Terra / Strada engines are Assembled in China, along with the BMW thumpers:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91450.html

Gear ratios have nothing to do with older Husky models, the Terra is a cousin of the BMW F650GS.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Cut&Paste from another forum:

"As you might have noticed, the 690 has impressed me a lot. I've claimed it's the only bike out there that can do EVERYTHING and not only doing it but doing it well. This is, though assuming you have both enduro and SMC wheels, forks, shock and brakes.

Well, to take what it's not great at first:
Autobahn - 120kph is OK for a while (so OK in Norway and US then) but take the smaller roads instead
Hard core cross and enduro - It's just too tall and heavy (though much lighter than a XT660 or GS800, only 20kg more than my EXC). COULD be ridden in tough terrain by someone more skilled by me though.

What it's good at:
Supermoto - Not as good as the 450SMR I had, 30kg heavier, but still good fun and capable.
Gravel roads - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter for aggresive riding
Trails - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter

What it's great at:
Gravel touring/dual sport - 530EXC just isn't a touring bike, it's a competition bike requiring frequent service...and terrible for those tarmac transport stages. 690 actually works good on tarmac even with enduro tyres/wheels and more fun (lighter) than XT660/GS800 on gravel
Tarmac touring - assuming twisty roads...but that's a given for me. That's why I ride! I have no problems keeping up with my sportsbike buddies even on wide, open roads as long as a bit curvy. The more narrow/twisty the better it works and if really tight, the sportsbikes just couldn't keep up. Not very often I felt I lacked power really (do have evo2 kit, dyno job and low gearing though)
Race Track - I would probably be a second faster on my superdukeR...but more fun with 690. And cheaper if crash, normally just hose off dirt.

For me, bikes are all about FUN, and that's really what the 690 is all about too 8)"
+1, see, that exactly describes (a lot more detailed) why I recommend to go for a 690 (post #9). With a set of sumo wheels this little bastard is definitely a multi purpose bike. Till today I have not found/seen anything better for road and offroad!

cheers Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014