Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #31
GazzaFish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
I attended the Australian Adventure Film Weekend in bright earlier this year and Austin VInce (from Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa fame) gave a presentation on what tips he had for good adv film making. Very basic but good advice. From memory..

- Tell a story. You should have a series of 'transition','story','transition','story',etc.. I.e. Show you getting somewhere, then the 'story' of that place, and then you leaving.. Then you getting somewhere again… and so on… Never just jump from one location to the next without a transition sequence. A transition might be you leaving the camp site, maybe some naration over a map… etc..

- When filming a 'story', only film stuff that is relevant to the story..I.e. If a car drives past but has nothing to do with your 'story' don't show it as it will just confuse viewers.

- tripod's,cam mount etc.. Try NOT to hand hold cameras…

- Always film three seconds before and three seconds after each piece you are filming as you will need this extra time when editing the video or when fading into other scenes…

- If its an adventure type video, you might expect to have about 50% of the audio narrated over the top at time of editing..

- Quick precise intro. People should know in the first minute, what they are going to see, hook them into watching the rest of the video…

- and heaps of other good advice….. Top bloke by the way.
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #32
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,206
Ultra slow motion video using the freeware Slomovideo

seen some interesting vids lately using Twixtor. It simulates the effect of a very high speed camera for slow motion, by taking your existing footage and creating new frames in between. At $600 i wasn't keen to try it, but then heard about Timewarp which starts at only $20, but you have to have a good video card to meet the system requirements.

i've only got a laptop so hunted around and found Slomovideo which is a free alternative. initial impressions are it can work very well if you shoot video in good lighting, keep the camera very steady and have high contrast in the images. here is my first mess around with it, comparing just slowing the footage down when editing, to actual footage processed using Slomovideo and running up to 1/10 of the original speed.

issues? you can see where there is not much contrast, the software tries to guess where the pixels in the newly created frames should go, and often stuff its up. the creators say you can use an editing part of Slomovideo to correct for this, but you need a compliant video card to access that and my laptop wouldn't allow it.

i did try to edit vids of bikes in the bush and it made a real mess of it, there just wasn't enough contrast. so it looks like it will work best in direct sunlight and the bike against a fairly uniform background, like beach, desert or sky. will need to mess around more with it! i think gopro used this kind of effect on their promotional videos, and it makes sense they were only using it in similar conditions...

being freeware, the installation and interface aren't all that intuitive, you really need to follow their instructions to the letter to get everything working.

if you like video editing this could be worth messing around with. tips? rendering takes a long time, so at first i'd suggest just doing a few seconds worth of footage, and choose "small" instead of "original size" to render a low resolution file first to have a look at. even five seconds of ultra slow motion footage can take about 10 minutes to render at the original size if you are doing ultra slow motion.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #33
kirbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Thumb

Looks good B1, have you got any footage to try where the camera stays still and the bike rides through the frame? I'd imagine it would make the background behave a bit differently.

BTW, are you shooting at 60fps with the gopro?
kirbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
Looks good B1, have you got any footage to try where the camera stays still and the bike rides through the frame? I'd imagine it would make the background behave a bit differently. BTW, are you shooting at 60fps with the gopro?
yeah, they reckon it behaves better with a tripod-mounted camera so will have to experiment with that. as mentioned in the clip, all of that was at 24 fps. all the footage i have at 60fps had unsuitable backgrounds.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #35
kirbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
yeah, they reckon it behaves better with a tripod-mounted camera so will have to experiment with that. as mentioned in the clip, all of that was at 24 fps. all the footage i have at 60fps had unsuitable backgrounds.
Ah OK, I thought that's what you meant but I wasn't sure when i saw some of the other frame rates you mentioned in the video. It's tough to get the conditions just right for slowmo footage but I reckon you're well on the way

I suppose it begs the question, what frame rate should you shoot at? Is there a disadvantage to shooting everything at 60fps or better and down-sampling for the slow motion stuff or does 24-30fps give the best look/storage space?

Oh dear, this could be as big a decision as what oil/tyre/fuel/air pressure blah blah blah
kirbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

definitely a set of dunlop D606 tyres and castrol 4T engine oil for the best video results.

the tutorials i've seen definitely say film in 60 frames per second if you can, it gives Slomovideo (or twixtor or timewarp) twice the footage to work with. i just picked 24fps footage to really give the software a workout, plus my gopro 2 drops from 1080p to 720p when you choose 60fps.

given how long it takes to process, i'd definitely only do a few bits in a bike video and maximise the chances it will work with. based on this link, here i'll be aiming for:
- lots of light
- static mount for the camera
- bland background in high contrast to the bike (e.g. sand, water or sky)
- go for the 60 frames per second despite the drop in resolution.

EDIT
some other handy tips from another forum....

Basically use the maximum FPS you can shoot at and the shortest exposure time possible (so there is less motion blur in the source, there is the noise issue at some point for night shots that might crawl in there). Also if possible avoid fisheye type lens... it's hard for objects that come in and out the screen.

Sometimes you end up with option more resolution versus more frame rate. Then it's content dependent, the more the content is fast action (like sports) go for more FPS over more resolution.

For the regular version, it's basically the same thing in AE and Premiere (same plugin). If your machine has many CPU and you enable AE multi-processing you will get a bit faster renders in AE. For camera, stabilization (or tripod) is a good thing as it can look a bit weird to slowmo camera shakes.

Finally if you are shooting some acrobatic moment where the subject moves fast, try to do it over constant color background (low detail) or facing the action rather then sideways (if someone jumps left to right of image and on top you add camera motion, the tracker can have some issues as huge portion of the scene are suddently revealed in a frame that were hidden in previous one)...

it's a bugger the twixtor plug in costs so much (and needs expensive software to run in), i like the results this guy got with using 60fps footage:

B1 screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 01:21 PM Reason: added info
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #37
Motorcykeleventyr.dk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
cool Tips !

Very helpfull tread! Lots of things to try out...

How do i Insert a Video ? Pretty new here - fantastisc site !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLiSbGieYo
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #38
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Learn How to Embed a Video Clip Here - ADVrider

welcome to the site, lots of great info and riders in here!

when inserting videos it's usually best to put them in the right section e.g. a general video would just go in the "Motorcycle videos videos videos" section. if you put a video in here it would be because you were discussing the topic, tips for better videos.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #39
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
I now have a Drift HD Ghost and have been experimenting for a few weeks, and mucking around with Windows Movie Maker Live to edit them.
Thanks posters for some great tips. They are really good.
Stuff I'm hearing: Short clips, edit savagely, don't overdo the music, vary your transitions, some slo-mo and 2 x speed, change camera angles, 60fps(720p). Great stuff.

I also have turned the music down & up again at interesting bits, e.g. being passed by a couple of riders -just to hear their engines blast.
Another thing that (my techy kids say) worked really well. A spot where I slid into a corner and fell down, banged my head. The vid shows me steaming into the corner (Rob Zombie playing), the music fades, then I'm laying it down, clunking my head on the ground, then copied that 2 secs and repeated it, then 2nd repeat in slo-mo, then transitioned back to normal speed as I got it up, in gear, bloke passed me in field of view, then when riding away it kicked into 2x speed with "Dragula" coming back in again. My only ever successful attempt at 'art' they say.

Edit: Rob Zombie is an acquired taste, I agree that metal soundtracks can be very annoying for too long.

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.

Blakduk screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 06:43 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #40
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 242
B1, some good stuff coming up that I am also watching, I use the basic windows MM and GoPro, have been mainly only filming rides etc and learn each time from watching other videos - angles etc. and some of yours are awesome. So ill keep an eye on this thread and keep on filming and if I can come up with some suggestions I will post em up.
Oh and also I agree - Boobs are good
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
..... The vid shows me steaming into the corner (Rob Zombie playing), the music fades, then I'm laying it down, clunking my head on the ground, then copied that 2 secs and repeated it, then 2nd repeat in slo-mo, then transitioned back to normal speed as I got it up, in gear, bloke passed me in field of view, then when riding away it kicked into 2x speed with "Dragula" coming back in again. My only ever successful attempt at 'art' they say.....
blakduk, have you got the link for that, or care to post it here? sounds good and will probably steal the idea too.

the music volume up and down works really well too. i haven't done it yet but strummer does it occasionally in his vids... the music tapers off then all you hear is the actual bikes for 30 secs then the music comes back in. have to try it on the next clip.

stricko, i kind of did a boob clip but within advrider guidelines of good taste, decency and healthy moral fibre. not sure how relevant it is to the thread except maybe on the appropriate use of music and fades from pic to pic?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #42
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 242
Yep its relevant

stricko, i kind of did a boob clip but within advrider guidelines of good taste, decency and healthy moral fibre. not sure how relevant it is to the thread except maybe on the appropriate use of music and fades from pic to pic?

Relevant ? I think so - apparently there were some pics of bikes in the video
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #43
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 770
Send Simon Christie from 4wd TV an email simon@4wdtv.com.au
For those who dont know, he has taken a hobby to a whole new level. He now has three shows albeit all pretty much the same. He is very approachable and I reckon would jump at the opportunity to help out. I have chatted with him a few times and his advice was great. I have even converted the patrons my local watering hole to watching his show on Thursday nights.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
[QUOTE=B1;21356339]blakduk, have you got the link for that, or care to post it here? sounds good and will probably steal the idea too.

I will have to find out (from my kids) how to post a video on the net. I don't have very good internet (only wireless available here), so don't hold your breath, but I'll get to it eventually.

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #45
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJuJu View Post
Send Simon Christie from 4wd TV an email simon@4wdtv.com.au
For those who dont know, he has taken a hobby to a whole new level. He now has three shows albeit all pretty much the same. He is very approachable and I reckon would jump at the opportunity to help out. I have chatted with him a few times and his advice was great. I have even converted the patrons my local watering hole to watching his show on Thursday nights.
bump. damn i never saw your post, ozjuju. i wonder if there are enough riders out there for something like this to work?

[QUOTE=Blakduk;21364236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
blakduk, have you got the link for that, or care to post it here? sounds good and will probably steal the idea too.
I will have to find out (from my kids) how to post a video on the net. I don't have very good internet (only wireless available here), so don't hold your breath, but I'll get to it eventually.
still waiting on that vid, blakduk....