User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Orgoth225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Frame bracing

Well I think I know how to get my hack project off the ground, I think I might just end up using my kz400 and I'm thinking before I even want to think about a proper sub-frame that I should reinforce the bike first. That or I should look for a more proper bike to use. What do you guys think?
Orgoth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,070
Not familiar with the KZ400, but isn't that what a subframe is supposed to do? Quite sure extra bracing would help, but I'd have the subframe on had to make sure you don't block any attachment points.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
There are some photos of an old Suzuki GS400 on page 305 of the "Sidecars- Lets see em" thread. I know its not the same bike, but probably pretty similar frame construction to your KZ400. You might ask that guy what he has for a subframe, I can't really tell from the pictures. Good luck with the project.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
team sleaz
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Kz400 frame

HI Dave, This bike would have a full duplex frame I recon, so attach it to the frame,I only use subframes on bikes without full frames. Keeps it simpler.This wont be no powerhouse so keep the chair a resonable size. Regearing , stiffer suspension both ends, and later a set of leading axle forks. Perhaps some crossbracing under seat area. If the exhaust is in the way change it etc etc. when I sidecar a bike it stays that way ! so I design suitable lugs/brackets and weld them to the frame and bolt the sidecar struts to them. Use at least 4 or more (better).Good Luck.
team sleaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Orgoth225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Sorry for the late reply, christmas and everything. Thanks for the reply though, now only to install a 440 engine for the extra hp and I think I have a decent plan .
Orgoth225 is offline   Reply With Quote