Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #5416
DonQx OP
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz the Aussie View Post
Sounds really good mate, I really miss Tassie in the summer. Enjoy it a bit extra for me and post lots of piccies when you are done.

Daz.
ey ... you're still about ... nice ...

wouldn't have recognised you tho in your promo shots ...

bit of a career change ... looks good!

DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #5417
DonQx OP
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
enjoy the ride guys and I hope to catch up with you when I'm in Tassie in March. I'm heading down with some mates and have to hatch some sort of plan of where and when we will be in Hobart and will let you know.
ta

sounds good

we should have retrieved Sooray from WA by then too ... we might be in for another head patting session :-)

DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #5418
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Xmas 2012

We have survived the end of the world did my Xmas run to Waratah on Thursday night, 222 kms round trip.
Looking forward to the end of January and I'm semi retiring lots of bike riding and enjoying life. Been sick far too long so going to enjoy life for a while
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #5419
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQx View Post
ey ... you're still about ... nice ...

wouldn't have recognised you tho in your promo shots ...

bit of a career change ... looks good!

Yep, I have this thread as one of my regular feeds so that I can keep up with what all you Tassie guys and girls are doing.
As to the photo, yep thats me, about 35 kilos lighter than when I last went on a ride with any of you guys. The career change is great, very different, very demanding but a total blast when it comes together. Merry Christmas to all the Tassie riders, stay safe and have lots of amazing adventures!

Cheers,

Daz.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Daz the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #5420
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
A stallion in the wild:

FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #5421
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
A stallion in the wild:

We thought it was you mate.
We went into Lake Pedder for the night. Came through Torhill Road from Bothwell to Ouse. Mainly doing the tar this trip had my wife as pillion. Still a good trip, went home via the Midlands Highway, traffic was shit and wind was mad. There were dick heads everywhere in tin tops.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #5422
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtisGood View Post
We thought it was you mate.
We went into Lake Pedder for the night. Came through Torhill Road from Bothwell to Ouse. Mainly doing the tar this trip had my wife as pillion. Still a good trip, went home via the Midlands Highway, traffic was shit and wind was mad. There were dick heads everywhere in tin tops.
Cool, I thought it was you, it's a bit hard to see detail with the Tenere's shocking aerodynamics buffeting my head around.. (need to cut the screen down)

It was a busy day on the Gordon River Rd, I'm usually lucky to see 1 car along there...

My brother in law just got his L's so we headed out that way for his first ride, we turned around at the Scotts Peak Rd/Mueller Rd junction (ducked down there to give him a little taste of gravel)...

His new.... errr... used/dropped XT660R, 730km on the clock, with broken plastics and gravel-rash...
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #5423
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
Cool, I thought it was you, it's a bit hard to see detail with the Tenere's shocking aerodynamics buffeting my head around.. (need to cut the screen down)

It was a busy day on the Gordon River Rd, I'm usually lucky to see 1 car along there...

My brother in law just got his L's so we headed out that way for his first ride, we turned around at the Scotts Peak Rd/Mueller Rd junction (ducked down there to give him a little taste of gravel)...

His new.... errr... used/dropped XT660R, 730km on the clock, with broken plastics and gravel-rash...
Was the gate on Mueller Road locked as I had heard a rumour that it had been.
Your Bro in Law needs a bit of crash protection on the bike, he has it on his body but not the other.
They are a great little bike the XT660R good low seat and easy to ride.
Have a great new year and keep exploring, because I will.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #5424
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,089
I was looking at one of those XT660R's yesterday and i looked at the Tenere today

i noticed a number of differences like the swing arm on the Ten is better looking,anything much else different FLICKIT

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #5425
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtisGood View Post
Was the gate on Mueller Road locked as I had heard a rumour that it had been.
Yeh, it's been locked in recent months, but there's enough room to get around it The gate at the Styx end is always open...

I suspect they're locking it because of the greenie activity around there at the moment... There's a girl that's been camped up a tree on the side of Mt Mueller for the last year ...

http://www.habitatadvocate.com.au/?p=10260

I was at the foot of her tree last week and didn't realize until I got home and went searching for the meaning behind the rock sign

(Moratorium Now)

Quote:
Your Bro in Law needs a bit of crash protection on the bike, he has it on his body but not the other.
They are a great little bike the XT660R good low seat and easy to ride.
Have a great new year and keep exploring, because I will.
A big tank and crash bars wont be far away, figure it best he has a couple of rides to make sure he's comfortable with it first... He got it for $6k so he can afford to throw a little money at it...

It is a good bike, it has much the same seat height as the Tenere but the seat isn't as wide so it feels lower, and it feels a shit load lighter than the Tenere... (it's not top heavy like the Ten)

Hope you have a good 2013 Enjoy retirement!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #5426
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
I was looking at one of those XT660R's yesterday and i looked at the Tenere today

i noticed a number of differences like the swing arm on the Ten is better looking,anything much else different FLICKIT
The "R" has:
A single front disk, but it seems more than adequate...
15L tank compared to the Tens 23L, (a Gillimoto 22.5 tank costs about $450 from brazil)...
Low pipes
Rubber footpegs
no pre-load adjustment on the forks
fragile plastics (it seems)
and a lot of little luxuries like no taco, a single trip meter, non-adjustable clutch/brake levers, and such...

To be honest, if I was buying again, I'd seriously consider the "R" because it feels so much lighter... (but that might change once it has a big tank and luggage)

:)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #5427
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post

A little more on "R" V's "Z"....

I thought the seat heights were about the same, but it seems the "Z" is 30mm higher at 895mm, the "R" is 865mm...

Comparing the suspension, they both have 200mm rear travel, the shocky on the "Z" has the reservoir with the air valve hanging off it, the "R" doesn't have the reservoir ...

It seems the "R" has an extra 15mm front travel @ 225mm, and the "Z" has 210mm, both are pretty spongy but the pre-load adjustment on the "Z" makes it bearable... I've only ridden the "R" a few K's, but it felt like the front would need stiffening up before any serious offroading... The "Z" has fork gators, the "R" just has plastic covers at the front....

Thinking about the 1 disk V's 2 on the front, it's probably better not having that extra weight of the second disk/caliper hanging off the forks for offroad riding... No doubt the second disk would be handy on-road if you're loaded up, but offroad, it's probably overkill..

As for the swingarms... the "Z" has the big alloy one, the "R" has a basic box section steel one... The "R" one is much the same as the Dominators, which was more than adequate I think, I've never heard of one breaking...

The bars on th Z are alloy with the separate bolt on cross brace, they seem more substantial than the steel bars on the R.... Chances are they're just as good as each other...

The "R" is smoother, is doesn't seem to vibrate as much as the "Z"...

The seat on the "Z" has the big hump at the back, it's good for hill climbing, you don't slide back on the seat... but, any luggage on the back is up a LOT higher than on the "R"....

They both have shitty cush drive rubbers that need replacing more often than tyres... (or pack them out with inner-tube rubber, which seems to work ok)

The Z has 50mm more ground clearance... but a set of Metal-Mule high pipes for the "R" would fix that...

Taking the fuel into account, the "R" is close to 20kg lighter than the "Z"...

FLICKIT screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 11:12 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #5428
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Nice one mate

i have see the old TTR600's break swing arms before but it was a case of a design fault

Cush Drive rubbers getting eaten oh my

keep me updated if you feel like it as i still like the Big Ten.....Horror storys might help fix my bank balance

i have to price a new headlight for the WRr and i dont think i am going to like it much they are over $200 in the USA

Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #5429
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

KTM 640 ADV's also suffered soft rims....now to watch the bloopers

Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #5430
DirtisGood
Guzzi Adventurer

Cool2 2012 gone 2013 coming

Wishing all ADV Riders a safe and happy new year
Looking forward to heaps of Adventures in 2013