ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #16051
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!
 
Ravyn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
Sorry! I missed the original post. I've used them before. Decent prices, quick service.
Thanks, falconati
Great service They will be my first stop for making a spare key from now on.
__________________
Ravyn
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #16052
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy
 
the schwartz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: the orange in the west
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycorp View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I havent registered or given her a TuneUp yet.

She definitely needs Carbs synced, oil changes, shaft and motor, plugs etc. So I doubt ill make the New Years ride. Definitely looking forward to some future rides and meetups though.

The Schwartz, you mentioned wrenching on an old GS. any recommendations for local parts places, or good cheap places online for maintenance items?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
I'd strongly recommend Z1 Enterprises. They're not local but they're in NY state. Good prices and these guys are super helpful and you can always get them on the phone and they really know old bikes.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ListIte...04070202000000

I have a shop in Jersey that I like but I really ended up doing almost all my own work. What are you planning to do on the bike vs. farming out to a shop? Do you know anything about the maintenance history? Valve adjustment, carbs cleaned, carbs rebuilt, etc? are those mikuni cv carbs? (been reading some just now about issues with nighthawk carbs)

I do have a carb synch tool, among other things. you're welcome to borrow it or bring the bike over and we can do it together.
the schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #16053
Domiken
Studly Adventurer
 
Domiken's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Manhattan
Oddometer: 625
Anyone know any decent garages for a car in Queens or Brooklyn? Our Manhattan car garage just went up by 400% for no reason....

Happy Holidays to you all!
__________________
www.leananglejeans.com
100% Fully Lined Protective Motorcycle Jeans without looking like a goofball
Domiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #16054
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Today: Cincinnati
Oddometer: 6,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Anyone know any decent garages for a car in Queens or Brooklyn? Our Manhattan car garage just went up by 400% for no reason....

Happy Holidays to you all!
No, there's a reason. 400% increase=Greed
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #16055
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap
 
rutard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: The Ether East of the Hudson
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Anyone know any decent garages for a car in Queens or Brooklyn? Our Manhattan car garage just went up by 400% for no reason....

Happy Holidays to you all!
Not sure where you're looking, but Central Parking has some discounts right now...self-serve parking in Spanish Harlem is $99/Month.

http://nyc.centralparking.com/Monthl...-Specials.html
*The coupons say they expire 8/12...they usually a pretty good about honoring them, but I'd call ahead.

Here's a link to Icon's coupons: http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/mo...king/specials/
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #16056
Domiken
Studly Adventurer
 
Domiken's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Manhattan
Oddometer: 625
Agreed on the greed part

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
Not sure where you're looking, but Central Parking has some discounts right now...self-serve parking in Spanish Harlem is $99/Month.

http://nyc.centralparking.com/Monthl...-Specials.html
*The coupons say they expire 8/12...they usually a pretty good about honoring them, but I'd call ahead.

Here's a link to Icon's coupons: http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/mo...king/specials/
Thanks! Ill be checking them out asap! I fought and fought, they wont honor the coupon, but $140 is not bad at all either.
__________________
www.leananglejeans.com
100% Fully Lined Protective Motorcycle Jeans without looking like a goofball
Domiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #16057
GHO100
Crazy George
 
GHO100's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Downtown Brooklyn
Oddometer: 924
weee

Just in time for the New Year's Day ride, I arrived at my usual parking space today in a nice cloud of burning coolant. Hooray!

Knew I should have replaced those o-rings over the summer....

Anyway, I'm planning on heading over to MotoGrrl Ryders Alley tomorrow for a few hours to take apart my bike and put in some damn o-rings and new hose clamps.

Feel free to drop by to point and laugh
__________________
1987 BMW K75T with Hannigan SuperSport hack
1980 Suzuki GS850G (project)
www.TeslaLEDS.com
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)

GHO100 screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:10 AM
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #16058
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 11,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Just in time for the New Year's Day ride, I arrived at my usual parking space today in a nice cloud of burning coolant. Hooray!

Knew I should have replaced those o-rings over the summer....

Anyway, I'm planning on heading over to MotoGrrl Ryders Alley tomorrow for a few hours to take apart my bike and put in some damn o-rings and new hose clamps.

Feel free to drop by to point and laugh

If I'm in the mood for pointing and laughing, which one will you be at? Downtown? Or midtown?
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #16059
GHO100
Crazy George
 
GHO100's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Downtown Brooklyn
Oddometer: 924
Downtown. Probably starting 9ish.

Now is just need to find a store with O-Rings


Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
If I'm in the mood for pointing and laughing, which one will you be at? Downtown? Or midtown?
__________________
1987 BMW K75T with Hannigan SuperSport hack
1980 Suzuki GS850G (project)
www.TeslaLEDS.com
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #16060
Bike Holiday
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 21
Starting out

How's it going guys been reading lots of stuff here on adv board
so many great people sharing knowledge. After reading a lot of
ride reports I finally got the bug to get my own bike, to someone
who never rode a bike it was overwhelming, gear, road hazards
"cagers" parking at least a few grand worth of machine out in the
open
I don't have a garage but I overcame all that and went to the first
step which was getting my permit passed on the first attempt
then ordered flip up helmet, body armor, knee pads waterproof
gloves, balaclava they should be coming by UPS soon going to get
the hi viz reflective vest Home Depot is nearby.

So all that out of the way need a bike I looked at hundreds of
bikes going to take it slow no crotch rockets or heavy bikes
but a lil cruiser to practice on for a while this is where I need
your help I am looking at a GZ250 which is for sale for $1750
the owner says he bought it 9 months ago and he never had
time to ride it 2006 with 500 miles he says it need's to be towed
because "carbs need to be cleaned and a new battery" so guys
me being a noob can you tell me if it's a good deal and can you
let me know of a good bike shop/mechanic in Brooklyn/Queens
last question can you park on the sidewalk I asked a traffic cop
he said if it's not blocking anything it's ok ....
Thanks
Al
Bike Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #16061
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Today: Cincinnati
Oddometer: 6,096
BMW issues recall on motorcycles due to kickstand problems

BMW is recalling 2,385 of its 2012-13 motorcycles to keep gravity from having its way with them.
In a report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, BMW said the kickstand on its S 1000 RR models could fail, allowing the $15,000 motorcycle to topple over.
BMW told the safety agency that the problem was that the attachment threads were not properly cleaned. So the remaining bits of metal could allow the bolts to loosen and the kickstand could separate from the frame.
BMW told the agency it had its first report of a problem in March followed by five more in June and July. “Given the low number of warranty claims and the long period of time in which the claims were received,” BMW said it continued to “monitor” the situation.
Following some additional reports in Germany – as well as in the United States – BMW began investigating in October, found the cause and concluded a recall was needed.
BMW described the recall as “voluntary,” but once a manufacturer finds a safety problem it has five business days to inform the safety agency of its plan for a recall or face civil fines.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #16062
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
BushwickKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Bushwick, Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Holiday View Post
How's it going guys been reading lots of stuff here on adv board
so many great people sharing knowledge. After reading a lot of
ride reports I finally got the bug to get my own bike, to someone
who never rode a bike it was overwhelming, gear, road hazards
"cagers" parking at least a few grand worth of machine out in the
open
I don't have a garage but I overcame all that and went to the first
step which was getting my permit passed on the first attempt
then ordered flip up helmet, body armor, knee pads waterproof
gloves, balaclava they should be coming by UPS soon going to get
the hi viz reflective vest Home Depot is nearby.

So all that out of the way need a bike I looked at hundreds of
bikes going to take it slow no crotch rockets or heavy bikes
but a lil cruiser to practice on for a while this is where I need
your help I am looking at a GZ250 which is for sale for $1750
the owner says he bought it 9 months ago and he never had
time to ride it 2006 with 500 miles he says it need's to be towed
because "carbs need to be cleaned and a new battery" so guys
me being a noob can you tell me if it's a good deal and can you
let me know of a good bike shop/mechanic in Brooklyn/Queens
last question can you park on the sidewalk I asked a traffic cop
he said if it's not blocking anything it's ok ....
Thanks
Al
Parking on the sidewalk is not allowed and eventually you will get a ticket for it. I don't know about everyone else here but I wouldn't be willing to buy a non running bike for $1750. I live in Brooklyn, if you want, PM / FB me and I can help you out with some ideas.
__________________
IBA# 53755
Feel free to add us at www.facebook.com/DieHardRyders
BushwickKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #16063
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Holiday View Post
How's it going guys been reading lots of stuff here on adv board
so many great people sharing knowledge. After reading a lot of
ride reports I finally got the bug to get my own bike, to someone
who never rode a bike it was overwhelming, gear, road hazards
"cagers" parking at least a few grand worth of machine out in the
open
I don't have a garage but I overcame all that and went to the first
step which was getting my permit passed on the first attempt
then ordered flip up helmet, body armor, knee pads waterproof
gloves, balaclava they should be coming by UPS soon going to get
the hi viz reflective vest Home Depot is nearby.

So all that out of the way need a bike I looked at hundreds of
bikes going to take it slow no crotch rockets or heavy bikes
but a lil cruiser to practice on for a while this is where I need
your help I am looking at a GZ250 which is for sale for $1750
the owner says he bought it 9 months ago and he never had
time to ride it 2006 with 500 miles he says it need's to be towed
because "carbs need to be cleaned and a new battery" so guys
me being a noob can you tell me if it's a good deal and can you
let me know of a good bike shop/mechanic in Brooklyn/Queens
last question can you park on the sidewalk I asked a traffic cop
he said if it's not blocking anything it's ok ....
Thanks
Al
Ditto what bush said. Non running bikes aren't worth a lot, even less if your going to get a shop to do the work for you as the money adds up. I think 1500 should be your target for a older bike but running with a title. You might have to travel a hour or so, check out the northeast craigslists finds thread here.

As for parking I don't go out of my way to park on the sidewalk unless I'm in a neighborhood where I want my bike chained to something.
__________________
1969 CL350 permanent project
2000 Ninja 250 Freeby
the klr/versys project: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810279
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #16064
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
Anyone know where I can get my transponder duplicate blank key cut?
From what I have gathered so far is the locksmith or dealer needs to have a sidewinder or laser key cutter.
It's my spare for the Guzzi Griso.
The locksmith at the DMV on West 8th should be able to do it for ya. He's the only one I know of who has a large collection of MC blanks and has the box to test what specific frequency your key is and can duplicate it.

BUT, not sure if he has a laser cutter....

Or try www.motorcyclekeys.com
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #16065
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
hi guys, i'm thinking of picking up a bike in putnam county, going to rent a u-haul. wondering if anyone has tie-downs i can use or know the best way to stabilize a bike in their cargo vans.

thanks
tom
Dude, won't Erik let you use one of their trailers? And doesn't he have like 100 extra tie downs in the shop?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014