Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #31
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Domromer, You want to buy a used GS and ask about repair costs. It seems like you have three options: new, late model used or an 1150.
I personally love the 1100 but the gear box can be an issue. Still I wouldn't pass up a really nice one if the price was right.

Consider the extra cost of tax, registration and insurance on newer models.

IMO 12k is way,way too much to spend on a used GS with no service contract. Plenty of 1200 owners on these pages give the view that buying a new GS today is as much about buying the service agreement and support as buying the mc.

[I have bought -seven- new GS and sold them all (about 40k mi)]

Think about that.

Subsidized financing via 2 da moon stimulus is compelling value on buying new with warranty.

Jim Moore points out that its a game of chance. I'm in agreement that if an 1150 has gone 70k with no major issues and has many new parts then you may very well have another 70k to go with little or no major repairs on this model.

With a 40k miler all those things may be coming your way. All its gonna take is a FD, drive shaft, clutch and not much more to be at the cost of new on the used 1200. If you have to sell you could take a real beating on a four year old 1200.

Everything requires repair sooner or later. Don't buy in to the bs that the BMW never needs parts. If you need a crown bearing on an 11xx you'll be out $100 and can repair roadside. On a 1200 its $2,000 + lost time since the 1200 FD overhaul is much more difficult. Supplies of used 11xx FD assemblies are good- more savings.

If you buy new and ride your dream for two years how much does that cost after resale? At least one poster went that route 7 times.

If you buy 3-4 year old 1200 and bear the cost of several major repairs?

If you buy a clean 1150 for $5k and invest $2k in parts over 2 years then sell for $4,500 (plus savings on insurance, tax, license)? The challenge here is doing a very thorough inspection. I've come no where near the $2k but needed neither clutch nor re-seal.

Everyone's going to have a different opinion. For any potential model visit the dealer micro fiche pages for typical parts cost. The 2000-2002 1150 is less complex. No stick coils for example. If engine and power train checks out and the owner has already replaced brake rotors, clutch, starter, hydraulics and cosmetics are good then this is the obvious deal imo.

1200's are more nimble and have other advantages but you won't miss any joy on 11xx. Ride several of each before you decide.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #32
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,352
Buy one and ride the hair off it!

I find the previous poster a bit bias...ok a lot! I have the terrible, bought used, 2006 GSA and I typically do between 18 and 20K miles a year. The only problem I have had was I noticed more metal in my FD last year than I was comfortable with so I replaced it with one that I bought from a guy on here with 5K miles for $500.00. Other than that just normal maintenance and farkling in a little under 80K miles, that's pretty cheap in my book. I ride my bike a fair amount off road as well so it gets a bit more used and abused. What you will find is that the opposing twin motors are easy to work on and pretty darn reliable. Oh and this is my first BMW and it won't be the last based on what I have experienced so far.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #33
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
World's Biggest Lies!!!

I also wanted a GS for years, but saw all the posts on Concours, FJR and Triumph site saying one of the following:
1. You can't work on a BMW yourself - you need special tools, only a mechanic can do those special BMW things.
2. They are super expensive - some truth in that if you just buy new. Mine was demo and I got a great deal.

If anything I have found my 2011 R1200GS to be easier to work on than just about all of my previous bikes. On the second issue, check the prices out on all the top end sport tourers or dual sports. None of them are cheap anymore.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #34
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
Bikes are for fun.

If costs is the BIG consideration..not the fun...one makes sort of weird bike decisions

the cheapest bike is used.....the ones that are most unpopular, most undesirable are the cheapest...the best buy if $$ are the main decision point

BMWs are not cheap...either new or used because they are highly desirable. ...ie Fun

to me debating the cost of a valve adjustment on GS or a super Teniere is like trying to dance on the head of a pin
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #35
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Bikes are for fun.

If costs is the BIG consideration..not the fun...one makes sort of weird bike decisions

the cheapest bike is used.....the ones that are most unpopular, most undesirable are the cheapest...the best buy if $$ are the main decision point

BMWs are not cheap...either new or used because they are highly desirable. ...ie Fun

to me debating the cost of a valve adjustment on GS or a super Teniere is like trying to dance on the head of a pin
You are right bikes are about fun. But I am cheap and and I ride a lot. Over the past two years I've done 40k on my Vstrom and I don't commute. If I had to spend a lot of money on parts or repairs any bike would become very unfun for me very fast. The Vstrom has required nothing but consumables over that 40k. So I do take into account the likely hood of major failure and big costs. I'm just that kind of person. I do my research and go for bikes that will get the job I need done with the least fuss.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #36
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,113
VR chooses to not read well. I use for 1 year for the most part as I ride a lot. I choose to ride with wty since I ride in Europe a good bit and if something were to go wrong, I choose not to pay the Euro rate for repairs. He opts to ignore the fact that I've had almost no problems and the friends who bought them haven't either. I worked for 43 years and pay cash.
It is time to enjoy and I'm doing that. He loves his old moto and that's fine but to spread BS is pathetic and not cool.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #37
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
You are right bikes are about fun. But I am cheap and and I ride a lot. Over the past two years I've done 40k on my Vstrom and I don't commute. If I had to spend a lot of money on parts or repairs any bike would become very unfun for me very fast. The Vstrom has required nothing but consumables over that 40k. So I do take into account the likely hood of major failure and big costs. I'm just that kind of person. I do my research and go for bikes that will get the job I need done with the least fuss.
It sounds like you are satisfied with the Vstrom. If that make you happiest GREAT.

I agree the cost of ownership of is less. atleast a couple of $k up front. I test rode one for over an hour before I bought my BMW.
Why, the suzuk was a bit heavier, a bit slower, did not handle quite as well....those things were more important to me than the $$.

Everyone should chose what is best for themselves.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #38
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
It sounds like you are satisfied with the Vstrom. If that make you happiest GREAT.

I agree the cost of ownership of is less. atleast a couple of $k up front. I test rode one for over an hour before I bought my BMW.
Why, the suzuk was a bit heavier, a bit slower, did not handle quite as well....those things were more important to me than the $$.

Everyone should chose what is best for themselves.
And I don't want to turn this into a vstrom vs 1150 thread..they are very different bikes. Vstrom is great and very reliable. My two problems are even with changing the bars,begs,risers, and seat I have never been able to get it to fit me well. I can ride long distances but it's sort of like ride ling distance on a bicycle. It's uncomfortable while you are doing it but your glad you did it when it's over.

The other problem is the suspension and ground clearance and no fun for off road. I'm one of those vstrom owners that explores the dirt and it's just not up to the task..ok It may be loaded for camping and two up...but I still need something that won't bottom out over every hill.

That's why I'm looking at the bmws again..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #39
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
The GS has been on my radar since 03 when I took a test ride and when I rode my bosses R80 Paris Dakar. So it's time for me to start doing some serious bike research again. I finally cleared some bikes out of the garage. Maybe it's time for a bike I've been into for years. The vstrom is a great bike and I'm on my 2nd one..they've just never really flipped my whig if you know what I mean.
Here's what it's all about. Life is short so ride what spins your crank, trips your trigger, etc., etc. Take a few test rides on a couple of different BMWs, decide what's important to you and buy one if you're so moved.

I rode a 650 Strom for 2 years/46k miles before buying my GSA, and mine was indeed a great bike without so much as one burned out light bulb during those miles. I missed numerous things in comparison to BMWs though (not the least of which was BMW's big alternators for easily powering heated gear and aux lights), and have never regretted buying my GSA.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #40
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
I will go to the KTM 990 ADVR if you like doing some dirt.

Front wheel 21" is the way to go, specially with big bikes I think.
2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #41
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
The other problem is the suspension and ground clearance and no fun for off road. I'm one of those vstrom owners that explores the dirt and it's just not up to the task..ok It may be loaded for camping and two up...but I still need something that won't bottom out over every hill.
Had to chuckle at this as it brought back memories of an off-road ride through Big Bend Nat'l Park on my Strom. The engine bash plate more than paid for itself on that ride, ending up with several dents and scars and I lost count of the number of times the suspension bottomed at both ends. The bike came through it all just fine though, while I watched my buddy on his R1150GSA comparatively glide over the same stuff with no drama. Great and fun trip, and I'm looking forward to doing it again but on my GSA this time. With knobby tires.

Sorry for the little thread hijack.....

jdub screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 06:46 AM
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #42
murfalert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I've owned 2 Vstroms, 2 Tiger 955, Ulysses, and now I finally bought a 1150GSA. There's something different that I can't identify well. All the others were more comfortable than my other bikes that were more sport or sport touring, but yet the GSA just feels- better. I'll be darned if I can put into words why but it does. It corners amazing and handles rough stuff like it was flat. I think part of it is that BMW thumbed their nose at the 'needs' of short riders and made a bike for tall folk. Sure, the Tiger was that too, and its a great bike, but it doesn't handle like the GS and still has those darn shims to deal with for valve adjustments. A big factor for me is ease of maintenance.
However, after working on bikes my whole life it does seem the BMW requires a re-education. But that's easily accomplished on here; it just takes a little time. Personally I don't want to be yanking cams every 6 months on any bike, I want to pull out my stool and a few tools and adjust valves in 15 minutes.
I paid too much for my bike, double what a similar Vstrom or Tiger would have cost. But on each of those I was thinking how to make it better within a week. So far on the GS I can't think of a thing I'd change. And for a bike whore like me that's a major deal. Heck, for once I've finally quit even looking at other bikes- for the first time in 40 years. I'm hoping my bike is as reliable as it now seems, but if it isn't I'll bitch then fix it and still enjoy something that finally has the mysterious 'fit'.
Murf
murfalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #43
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfalert View Post
I've owned 2 Vstroms, 2 Tiger 955, Ulysses, and now I finally bought a 1150GSA. There's something different that I can't identify well. All the others were more comfortable than my other bikes that were more sport or sport touring, but yet the GSA just feels- better. I'll be darned if I can put into words why but it does. It corners amazing and handles rough stuff like it was flat. I think part of it is that BMW thumbed their nose at the 'needs' of short riders and made a bike for tall folk. Sure, the Tiger was that too, and its a great bike, but it doesn't handle like the GS and still has those darn shims to deal with for valve adjustments. A big factor for me is ease of maintenance.
However, after working on bikes my whole life it does seem the BMW requires a re-education. But that's easily accomplished on here; it just takes a little time. Personally I don't want to be yanking cams every 6 months on any bike, I want to pull out my stool and a few tools and adjust valves in 15 minutes.
I paid too much for my bike, double what a similar Vstrom or Tiger would have cost. But on each of those I was thinking how to make it better within a week. So far on the GS I can't think of a thing I'd change. And for a bike whore like me that's a major deal. Heck, for once I've finally quit even looking at other bikes- for the first time in 40 years. I'm hoping my bike is as reliable as it now seems, but if it isn't I'll bitch then fix it and still enjoy something that finally has the mysterious 'fit'.
Murf
You've owned pretty much every bike that interests me. You mentioned bmw thumbing thier noses at shorter riders. The funny thing about that is out of all those bike you've owned the Vstrom has one of the highest seat heights but the least clearance and travel... Don't know how they worked that magic.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #44
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Had to chuckle at this as it brought back memories of an off-road ride through Big Bend Nat'l Park on my Strom. The engine bash plate more than paid for itself on that ride, ending up with several dents and scars and I lost count of the number of times the suspension bottomed at both ends. The bike came through it all just fine though, while I watched my buddy on his R1150GSA comparatively glide over the same stuff with no drama. Great and fun trip, and I'm looking forward to doing it again but on my GSA this time. With knobby tires.

Sorry for the little thread hijack.....
That there is my favorite kind of riding. Do you have a trip report for this ride?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #45
kaspilo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
BMW reliability?... yeah, right!

I have 3 BMW's.... r1100rt, 1200c and 650 funduro, I work ont theses bikes on a weekly basis, do maintenance at least every 1,000 miles. For sure they are nice, but something goes wrong after every long ride, the electronics in German made bilkes is very poor, very unreliable. To me BMW is just the name, but reliability goes with Japanese made bikes, not European or USA made.

I'm planning to ride from the US to Cabo de Hornos, but I'm debating to ride any BMW, parts are expensive, very hard to find outside the USA, etc., etc.... First, it will be a chain driven bike, not shaft drive (scared of the thought of lossing the drive in the middle of nowhere). It will a lighter bike, not a heavy one like a 1200-1150 GS models. I'm thinking to sell the larger BMW's, keep the 650 and buy maybe a KLR or a DR650 model just for the trip.

Just my thoughts...!
kaspilo is offline   Reply With Quote