Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
snorske OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Low-end Micro 4/3 vs High-end Point & Shoot?

I am upgrading from a point & shoot Canon PowerShot ELPH 300. I am not a serious photographer, but I travel quite a bit and would like something nicer to complement my GoPro3 for quality scenic and travel pictures.

I am trying to decide between a high end point & shoot vs. lower end 4/3 mirrorless. My desired budget is around $300. I would like built in flash and 24mm wide lens for good outdoor shots. I don't think I will be porting around extra lenses, but the lower end 4/3's are the same price as the high end P&S's. Any thoughts on these choices below? (using current amazon prices)

Point & Shoots:
Canon S100 ~ $249
Panasonic LX7 ~ $299

Micro 4/3s:
Olympus E-PL2 ~ $312

Any input is appreciated.
snorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Not that this makes it easier but check out the Sony nex - 3. Compact body with an already size sensor. I had the nex-5. Best non slr I've ever used. Way better image quality than than the micro 4/3 format.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
The LX 7 is a superb high end compact, I have an LX 3 and love it. But a micro 4/3 will give you interchangeable lenses, a much bigger sensor and more control over dof.

There are some insane deals right now on mirrorless cameras - B&H has the Nikon V1 for $299 through Dec 31: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...irrorless.html
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
I just bought a secondhand Sony RX100 and it's incredibly good for a compact - f1.8 lens, the same 1 inch sensors as the Nikon 1series, and way fast to focus and shoot.

If you can find one in your budget, I would highly recommend it

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 104
It is very hard to beat a Canon point and shoot for out-of-the-camera (JPEG) shots. No fuss no muss and 24mm on the wide end which I think is the most important part. I'm a Nikon DSLR guy who just switched to Panasonic M4/3. The versatility of interchangeable lenses works for me but I still take a P & S on most dirt rides. I recently had to replace a little Nikon P6000 with a LX5 and chose it over the LX7 because the auto lens cap was available for it and not the LX7. The iris style lens covers on most of the P & S cameras jam when they get a little dust and dirt in them. If you do not intend to swap lenses and mostly view your pics on the web I would go with the Canon. If you use the flash often I would go for the Panasonic LX5 or 7 with a small flash gun and/or remote cord. You might have to tweak your shots a little with the Pany though either in camera or post production. If you think this photo itch might get worse later go with the M4/3. Unless you are taking action shots it is a great system to build on.

Just noticed you asked a similar question over a year ago and got up to 6 pages of responses. I bet you can take all those answers, inserting the current model number, and will have the same result with this thread. 'What camera' questions (on any forum) are nearly impossible to answer unless the respondent has tried all the candidates and has similar expectations.

UberKul screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:59 PM
UberKul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Nikon Coolpix

Smaller than a full size SLR. Can use one handed and has more features than the smaller p&s type. Can be used with gloves on. Lightweight. Wide angle high power zoom. Under $300. With an adapter you can use regular size lens'. Robust. The Wife has dropped hers a few times.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,915
I bought a refurbed EPl2 last year and just went to the OM-D/EM-5 and love it. The EPL is still used for grab shots and there is nothing wrong withi it, but the OM-d is such a better low light performer. If you're not into carrying lenses and such, stick with a good p&s. I have an old canon G10 that's still awesome and can only imagine how awesome the G15 is, however it is about $125 beyond your budget. I used to shoot Nikon dslrs but always preferred canon for compacts. The menus just seemed more intuitive for me.

I love the 4/3 system, but if you buy a mid line camera with the kit lens, you won't see much if any improvement over a good p&s and won't have the convenience or compactness either.

Have a look here

http://www.mu-43.com/
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialCameras View Post
I bought a refurbed EPl2 last year and just went to the OM-D/EM-5 and love it. I love the 4/3 system, but if you buy a mid line camera with the kit lens, you won't see much if any improvement over a good p&s and won't have the convenience or compactness either.
Glad to hear you like the OM-D/EM-5. I have settled on that as the camera I want for motrcycle travel and outdoor activities. Gets great reviews though a little pricey. I am saving my nickels now and hope to have one in another month.

Anything surprises on the EM-5? I have read some comments about focus issues in middle distances (12-25 feet).
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
snorske OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
thanks for the info. It sounds like high end P&S are comparable quality to low end 4/3's so not worth the size tradeoff. And of course if I had my choice I would get the Sony RX100, but I am not serious enough to warrant $700 on a P&S!

UberKul thanks for the info, as I unfortunately have no access to these cameras in person which is why I asked online. But I've narrowed it down to the Canon S100 or the Panasonic LX7. I like the size of the S100 better, but I'm really put off by the 200 shots per battery. The LX7 can crank out 330 shots on one battery charge, which is a huge difference when traveling in areas with possibly no outlet. Ohh man what to do.
snorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
"The LX7 can crank out 330 shots on one battery charge, which is a huge difference when traveling in areas with possibly no outlet. Ohh man what to do"

Buy a second battery. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 104
Agree with GH, you really want a second battery for any camera. Either will have more features and capability than most people will ever use. Read the manual, dive into the settings, adjust things in the field and make great pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
For a point-n-shoot, i like my LX5, but at the moment i'm loving a gift that Santa spouse gave me.....a Sony DSC RX100.

That camera is so much fun!
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
Agree with GH, you really want a second battery for any camera. Either will have more features and capability than most people will ever use. Read the manual, dive into the settings, adjust things in the field and make great pictures.
I use these people for extra batteries on my OM-D and GoPros. Sometimes the batteries might not have a proprietary chip in them and won't display battery level in the camera, but otherwise are indistinguishable from OEM.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B.../dp/B0049XEE88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Glad to hear you like the OM-D/EM-5. I have settled on that as the camera I want for motrcycle travel and outdoor activities. Gets great reviews though a little pricey. I am saving my nickels now and hope to have one in another month.

Anything surprises on the EM-5? I have read some comments about focus issues in middle distances (12-25 feet).
None for me. I have the Pan-Leica 25 on it pretty much full time. Loads of features and its a but overwhelming to sort through all the stuff to get it set up for your preferences. It's also a quantum leap from any other camera and it's hard to get my head around some of the uber high iso values.
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
The Shifty Jesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The S100 is an amazing little camera for quick shots.

If you want more flexibility, the Nikon J1 refurbs are being shuffled out for around the same price.

http://www.adorama.com/INK1J1RKR.html
The Shifty Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote