ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
lister45 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
950 Adventure Common complaint

Hi All

I have a 2003 KTM 950 Adventure Black with Wings exhausts, 2 sets of wheels, one for road and one for Dirt. Crash bars, soft panniers etc etc. It is I believe the best bike I have ever owned from so many aspects.
I recently went on a 9000 klm ride around Australia from Adelaide via Qld to Darwin and return.
I took a litre of oil to keep it topped up, but the oil level never moved in 9000 klm's. Amazing!

This bike has had all common issues dealt with, fuel pump replaced, environmental piping and hoses removed, Cltch slave cylinder replaced etc, I am not sure it has had the water pump issue of so many of these bikes, but in the 15,000 k's I have owned it I have not had an issue and the previous owner reported no issue either. The bike has done 65,000 klms.

So to my issue, Like all 2003's it is very noisy, yes I know its probably not something I should worry about, and ear plugs are a solution.
I have searched the forum and done some mods. ie: I recently replaced the Oil pump behind the clutch basket with a latter version, with a small improvement. The clutch basket seems OK with no real obvious issues.

Its probably due for a Valve adjustment so that may help a bit, BUT is there a definitive reason that the early models were noisy? What have they modified in the newer models, And hence what apart from what I have already done is a possible solution to a quieter motor? I think I read something about the clutch push? rod rattling in earlier models, can this be modified.

I will be ordering a new Clutch Oil jet as mine is constantly blocking and or is inadequate for this bike, ie I get lots of clutch drag. If I rev the bike the clutch drag is improved but still is noisy.

Any help appreciated.

Rgds Brian
lister45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister45 View Post
Hi All

I have a 2003 KTM 950 Adventure Black with Wings exhausts, 2 sets of wheels, one for road and one for Dirt. Crash bars, soft panniers etc etc. It is I believe the best bike I have ever owned from so many aspects.
I recently went on a 9000 klm ride around Australia from Adelaide via Qld to Darwin and return.
I took a litre of oil to keep it topped up, but the oil level never moved in 9000 klm's. Amazing!

This bike has had all common issues dealt with, fuel pump replaced, environmental piping and hoses removed, Cltch slave cylinder replaced etc, I am not sure it has had the water pump issue of so many of these bikes, but in the 15,000 k's I have owned it I have not had an issue and the previous owner reported no issue either. The bike has done 65,000 klms.

So to my issue, Like all 2003's it is very noisy, yes I know its probably not something I should worry about, and ear plugs are a solution.
I have searched the forum and done some mods. ie: I recently replaced the Oil pump behind the clutch basket with a latter version, with a small improvement. The clutch basket seems OK with no real obvious issues.

Its probably due for a Valve adjustment so that may help a bit, BUT is there a definitive reason that the early models were noisy? What have they modified in the newer models, And hence what apart from what I have already done is a possible solution to a quieter motor? I think I read something about the clutch push? rod rattling in earlier models, can this be modified.

I will be ordering a new Clutch Oil jet as mine is constantly blocking and or is inadequate for this bike, ie I get lots of clutch drag. If I rev the bike the clutch drag is improved but still is noisy.

Any help appreciated.

Rgds Brian
Cam chain noise is one cause of noise:
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...ise/noise.html

Others will be along shortly to add a few other suspects, some are just noisy, it ain't a Honda.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 885
I`m kinda new to these bikes, but what I have found out,

Check oil valve spring,
Valves,
I get clutch drag, swaped out the slave, still happens. All clutch in spec. Solid 1 piece rod. But I gave all the steel plates a fine wet and dry and drag was reduced. I figure giving micro grooves in the surface helps the oil stay between the plates a little better.
Strange as I have had 2 Aprilia Rotax motors and never had a clutch issue. One had 98000 ks and I never opened the clutch cover. Similar motors. Go figure.
Like the Aprilia`s they are slightly noisy motors. But I love em !
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
The list of upgraded parts after the first year is quite long- look through the 03 parts catalog online sometime. The superceded parts are listed there.
Most of the noise is from the camshaft drivetrain, which uses both chains and gears.
Two key changes- the output tube from the oil pump-(inside the cases) was given o-rings at either end to improve available oil pressure. That helps keep the cam chain tensioners extended fully.
And, the straight-cut gears that drive the balancer shaft- (which runs the cam chains), have enough lash to rattle quite a bit at idle. They added a thin spring-loaded 2nd gear to take up the lash. I'm not sure if it's possible to retrofit the later balancer drive gears, but the oil tube is easy to replace-
That is, after you've taken the engine out and split the cases!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,820
Maybe replacing the camchains would improve the noise situation.

For the clutch drag I suggest exchanging places between the deeper clutch steel plate and another one. The reason is it develops a groove at its contact with the belevil spring. This could revive your clutch for a while.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
For the clutch drag I suggest exchanging places between the deeper clutch steel plate and another one. The reason is it develops a groove at its contact with the belevil spring. This could revive your clutch for a while.
Cheers.
Did that but still dragged. :(
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
lister45 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for all the replies.

A few things for me to look at based on this feedback, Ultimately I suppose I just want to be sure that I have sorted any possible issues that may cause problems if left unattended.

Thanks
lister45 is offline   Reply With Quote