Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
matthangen OP
07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 85
Garmin 376C

Just bought a Garmin 376C with my GSA and am waiting to see if the previous owner can find the XM radio antenna that would allow me to have the weather feature activated on it. My question for you pros is whether or not it'd be worth it to buy the antenna if he can't find it and if the service is worth having. I've had a hard time understanding off the Sirrus website which plan I could use, the two ground options seem to be either $9.99 a month or $99 a month... quite the variance.
matthangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthangen View Post
Just bought a Garmin 376C with my GSA and am waiting to see if the previous owner can find the XM radio antenna that would allow me to have the weather feature activated on it. My question for you pros is whether or not it'd be worth it to buy the antenna if he can't find it and if the service is worth having. I've had a hard time understanding off the Sirrus website which plan I could use, the two ground options seem to be either $9.99 a month or $99 a month... quite the variance.
The GMX30 receivers (the puck is actually the radio and antenna combined) come up on ebay from time to time.
Is it worth it? I've had one for about 4 years and it's saved my ass a couple of times and my marriage once so for me it is. A smart phone will give you the same weather information for free these days with the usual disclaimers of service coverage and convenience, but I like having the ability to check weather by station along my route. I also like the integration with the GPS maps. As to pricing, the best bets are the marine plans, LINKY. The two mid-priced options are pretty good for the US, I use the "Master Mariner" plan to get Canadian coverage. HTH

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
matthangen OP
07' R1200GS Adv.

Thanks Steve, I'll keep an eye out on ebay if he doesn't find it. I think the basic service would do since I don't see myself venturing up that far North for a while. Thank you for steering me to that link, I'd have never found it. I agree with you, i like the idea of having the radar in the same location as my maps too. Thanks again- Matt
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
There is a used GXM 30 currently on Amazon for $150, which is about what they used to bring. You may find someone selling one for less.

Note that the GXM 40 is not compatible with the 376 per Garmin.

I had the Sailor package, which I liked because it provides the Nexrad radar. I dropped it after XM changed their policy and wouldn't let me suspend coverage during the winter months, and weather radar became a lot easier to get via smart phones, and I used music on my phone as well.

That works for me where I ride most of the time.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
376C with weather

I start up the weather subscription (Fisherman package) in the spring and cancel in the fall. Some occasionally frustrating minutes on the phone and a $50 startup charge but you still save some $$$ that way. I think it is well worth it to have the Nexrad integrated into the maps. I've been able to avoid some storms or at least get the rain gear on before it starts raining. The day the "Tornado Warning" message popped up on the screen (in upstate NY!) sold me for good.

Drew

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200

I also went with the Marine program. I started with the Sailor option for $9.95, to see if it was really worth it to me. Four days later, the unit helped me navigate out of storm by identifying a break in the clouds that I could follow. After that, I upgraded to the $29.99 plan (not sure which one, but the XM folks helped me get the right one). Since I ride year round, I keep it activated, and it's served me well ever since.

When you call, be sure to discuss your options for upgrading and downgrading. Dropping to the $9.95 service for the months you ride less could also save you money, without the $50 restart fee.

FWIW, YMMV.
Ride4Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
matthangen OP
07' R1200GS Adv.

The original owner found the "puck" and sent it to me so I just got off the phone with Sirus getting it set up for the "skywatch" plan that's 9.99 a month. He preceded to tell me as we were getting off the phone to not shut the unit off for 15-45 minutes until it locked and downloaded the information. I thought sure i'll just leave it running at starbucks for 15 minutes and then after I hung up I realized my helmet was locked to the bike... I just came home and called them to send the signal again so hopefully we'll be good to go. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,089
you can get a free radar app for your smart phone.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthangen View Post
The original owner found the "puck" and sent it to me so I just got off the phone with Sirus getting it set up for the "skywatch" plan that's 9.99 a month. He preceded to tell me as we were getting off the phone to not shut the unit off for 15-45 minutes until it locked and downloaded the information. I thought sure i'll just leave it running at starbucks for 15 minutes and then after I hung up I realized my helmet was locked to the bike... I just came home and called them to send the signal again so hopefully we'll be good to go. Thanks for all the help guys
IMOP, the nexrad available in the $29.99 and up packages is way better than what you get in the $9.99 skywatch. If I remember right, you only get updates every 15mins in the Skywatch while in the higher ones, they came much more frequently which really helps out when you are in a very active storm. The storm track you get in the $49.99 package is killer, but man that one gets expensive month after month.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinalcracker View Post
you can get a free radar app for your smart phone.
IMOP, the phone apps still aren't coming close enough to what you get in the 376c/478 Nexrad. Not to mention its always there on the screen in the rain when you need it, and fully waterproof. Also, if you are anywhere without phone service, then it can't help you much. You always have Nexrad coverage on the GPS.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
IMOP, the phone apps still aren't coming close enough to what you get in the 376c/478 Nexrad. Not to mention its always there on the screen in the rain when you need it, and fully waterproof. Also, if you are anywhere without phone service, then it can't help you much. You always have Nexrad coverage on the GPS.

That's the one thing I loved about the XM weather coverage. What I didn't love was when they changed their policy and I couldn't just suspend coverage for the Winter. That's when I dropped it.

dunno.....
Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

That's the one thing I loved about the XM weather coverage. What I didn't love was when they changed their policy and I couldn't just suspend coverage for the Winter. That's when I dropped it.
Yeah, I had heard that starting to happen to people, but that was about the same time my GXM-30 gave up the ghost, so I just cancelled and never replaced the antenna. I had done that several years myself just suspending the coverage and that was the only reason I could justify the expensive $30-$50 monthly plans since I only kept them active about half the year. I actually dropped XM all together about this same time. I really miss it and the weather, but I was trying to cut monthly recurring charges, and those got the axe.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
XM weather-seasonal suspension

I renewed my XM weather for my 376C yesterday. Got the Fisherman's Marine service. I was told you can suspend service for as long as 7 months and restart with no activation fee. Here's the blah-blah from the user's agreement:

"13. Service Suspension: This subsection applies only to the "Sirius Marine Weather" and "XMWX" services offered by us which provide graphical weather displays in your vehicle, boat, plane, or fixed locations in the continental U.S. and more than one hundred miles into U.S. coastal waters. Subscribers of fee-bearing Sirius Marine Weather and XMWX subscriptions may request such service be placed into a "suspended" state one time in any calendar year, for a duration of up to seven months. "

Drew

Quote:

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjb7 View Post
I renewed my XM weather for my 376C yesterday. Got the Fisherman's Marine service. I was told you can suspend service for as long as 7 months and restart with no activation fee. Here's the blah-blah from the user's agreement:

"13. Service Suspension: This subsection applies only to the "Sirius Marine Weather" and "XMWX" services offered by us which provide graphical weather displays in your vehicle, boat, plane, or fixed locations in the continental U.S. and more than one hundred miles into U.S. coastal waters. Subscribers of fee-bearing Sirius Marine Weather and XMWX subscriptions may request such service be placed into a "suspended" state one time in any calendar year, for a duration of up to seven months. "

Drew
Maybe they lost so much business they changed their policy again?

Are there fees associated with suspending/reactivating service?

dunno.....
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Maybe they lost so much business they changed their policy again?

Are there fees associated with suspending/reactivating service?
Nope. Renewed mine (Master Mariner) yesterday for 3 months.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote